Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will VW/Porsche supply engines to F1 in a few years?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009 | 02:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Will VW/Porsche supply engines to F1 in a few years?

According to VW spokesperson, it will/definitely maybe. Based on Porsche's racing heritage, their engineers will probably be the ones working on this project. Don't hold your breathe however....

Volkswagen to provide F1 engines?
27 November 2009

Volkswagen is being reported as considering a Formula 1 entrance for the 2012 season. The German marque, which currently provides powerplants for the British Formula 3 championship (top), is pondering the move which would see it become an engine supplier.

Hans-Joachim Stuck
Courtesy of Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault, F1 currently has three companies providing engines ahead of the new decade - albeit half the amount of this time last year - although the Wolfsburg manufacturer could make history in the near future by breaking into the championship.

"If you're the world's largest manufacturer it's natural that we're thinking about it, but not before 2012," former driver Hans-Joachim Stuck, representative for Volkswagen, explained to Autosport. "We're looking for innovative things and Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. Two years ago there was some talk that Volkswagen was going to buy the Red Bull F1 team, which we didn't need to buy - why should we stick with one team if we can give our engines to more teams?"

He went on to explain that, with lower running costs next year plus a larger grid, the sport is now more appealing to the company. "Now it's amazing; Formula 1 is going the right way," he continued, adding that many manufacturers - whose futures in F1 were always uncertain - have now departed.

Volkswagen would be joining Mercedes-Benz as a German F1 engine supplier
"They should become engine manufacturers and then lease the engine, sell the engine or give it to somebody," he explained, "then you lose all the hassle with teams, wind tunnels, engineers, you know. It's like Formula 1 in my days. We had March, we had Lotus, and we had Ford engines. Then Renault came in as engine manufacturer, with a formidable engine. That was perfect.

"I have followed Formula 1 for the last seven years with BMW and have always asked myself, with only 20 cars on the grid, what if we could have 30 cars? Now we're getting back to that. We have three more teams next year, 26 cars, and by having a global engine (Cosworth) - which is good in cost and reliable - we can have 30 cars on the grid."
Old 11-27-2009 | 02:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Isn't that the same year the Merc contract runs out w McLaren?
Old 11-27-2009 | 02:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Isn't that the same year the Merc contract runs out w McLaren?
Indeed
Old 11-27-2009 | 02:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You have to wonder about the bad blood. Ron Dennis has got to be sending love notes to the Piechs and Porsches.

Quick Reply: Will VW/Porsche supply engines to F1 in a few years?