Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Carrera RS 3.0 - Factory Alignment Values?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Costas
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1974 Carrera RS 3.0 - Factory Alignment Values?

I posted the following on the 911 forum and it was suggested that I ask here as well. Thanks for any info!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on rennlist.

Would anyone know the factory toe, camber, and caster settings of the 1974 Carrera RS 3.0? A friend just bought an FIA homologated replica and we are looking for a base setup to start with.

If it helps at all, I have a video with two close-ups of the car. This is from our visit to the track this Sunday. The car was OK on street tires but on slicks, at over 85mph, it would "wander" abruptly, making it difficult to keep a straight course. (I can't be more specific because I did not get to drive the car but my friend is a very accomplished driver and this is how he described the problem). It sounds to me like too much toe-out up front?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Costas
I posted the following on the 911 forum and it was suggested that I ask here as well. Thanks for any info!
i have a spec book at home that will give me the numbers I owned a 74 RS clone for 19 years and made the mistake of selling it.

However, I did not see a 74 RS clone in the video. the yellow 911 is closer to a 73 RS clone, totally different than a 74. The 74 is a widebody with different suspension than the narrow body. they did make a 74 carerra which was not a race car but more of a cosmetic clone to the 73 RS with bigger bumpers.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I looked at the comments over on the other forum, which were pretty helpful if not absolutely specific. I'm sure some others will see this and comment who have much, much, much more relevant and modern thoughts on what will work. First would be to know what specific tires you are using. "Slicks" can mean anything from Goodyear bias ply cantilevers to 18" radials. One alignment does not fit all.........
Old 11-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Costas
Track Day

Anthony, you are right. People have pointed out in the other thread as well that the car is probably closer to a 73 RS. I will ask my friend for the specifics of his FIA homologation and I will post the info. In the meantime, your spec book would be a great help, thank you!

Ken I will post more info on the tires too. We are not looking for a "magical" fit-all alignment, just the base setup of the era.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But the tires you're using have nothing in common with what was available then, except they're round, black and hold air. Maybe someone here who vintage races on period correct treaded slicks might give some pointers. But I'll bet even THAT has changed as the cars today won't be running the same spring/t-bar rates and shock valving that was used back then. Factor in changes in ride height, roll center, etc., I doubt there's a car being used on the track today that's anywhere near similar to how they were delivered.

If you want some numbers, here's what I REMEMBER from mid-'80's "think" using 23"X8"X15" Goodyear bias ply cantilever slicks on 15X7 wheels. I think we used 21mm front, 27 or 28mm rear torsion bars, and 22mm front and rear stabilizer bars. Standard issue, raised spindle RSR struts with stock valved Bilstein sport shocks, front and rear. '73S chassis with a 2.7RS spec engine that weighed about 2300 lbs.

Now that I've laid that out, I used to shoot for .5 degree negative F&R (maybe a smidge more in the back since the paint burnthrough issue was always there), zero toe front, and 3/16" rear toe in.

It's laughable to think how underprepared and crude we ran these things, huh?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Costas
Track Day

Ken, thank you for those numbers!

Here is the car's background: Originally a 1973 911S 2.4L. Converted to 1973 RS specifications (with FIA class GT27 certification). The engine, however, is the 3.0L of the 1974 model.

So you are right, it is a 73 RS. The tires it runs on are Avon (not sure which compound). The rim sizes are 7.5/21.5/15 front and 8.7/21.5/15 or 8.5/23.5/15 in the back.

The previous owner was using this setup:

Code:
Front
  Caster: 6.5
  Camber: 1 to 1.25
  Toe: in 15mins each, 30' Total

Back
  Camber: 1.5
  Toe: zero, or in 20' total
It is the front toe-in that seems excessive to me. The camber looks ok for modern slicks.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Costas
Track Day

An update: Using the following setup, my friend took second place today at the 30th Palladio rally here in Greece :-). Tires where Khumo's 205 up front and 225 in the back.

It is quite interesting that in the last stage (by that time he had gotten used to his new car) he was 18th overall, with only Mitsubishi's, Subaru's, and other WRC modern cars in front of him.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

Code:
Front
  Caster: 6.5
  Camber: 0.7 (since it maxed out on one side)
  Toe: 0

Back
  Camber: 1.5
  Toe: in 20' total

Quick Reply: 1974 Carrera RS 3.0 - Factory Alignment Values?