Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Austin, TX natives: where can I rent a prepped car for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Austin, TX natives: where can I rent a prepped car for DE?

A friend of mine is in Austin, TX and is considering the DE program at Driveway Austin, and I'm thinking of flying down to join him, but will need to rent a DE car.

I noted previously on the track's web site that they rented Spec Miatas for $550/day, and I assume that they still do. Is this a pretty standard rate? If not, where else can one look for a rental track car?

I note that they also specify, "Damage Waiver required: Driver is responsible for all damages incurred while on track." Will this be the same, no matter where I get the car, or is it possible to be insured?

Thanks in advance for you help!
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn good questions.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:23 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

some do offer insurance but it really depends on who is renting them out. $550 is a damn good price, I usually get anywhere from $700-$850 per day depending on the event when I rent my SM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:38 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

LD, do those who rent from you arrange insurance on their own? And, if so, do you know how they do it?
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Right now I don't offer insurance, but am considering it. Pretty much you give me 2 checks (rental fee and then money to cover the car in case you total it) and when the car comes back safe and sound, I give you the one check back. Either that or one big check and then I refund the money.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If the Driveway folks don't offer insurance themselves, I'm sure you could get a track policy from WSIB or Lockton for the event.

Also, not to rain on your enthusiasm, but I think the "L1" course at The Driveway Austin is too short and (imho) sort of uninspiring. It's only a half mile long. Is the DE you're considering limited to the short course or will you get a chance to run one of their longer track configurations? I'm not sure I'd suggest making the trip down just to run their L1 course.

I know that Harris Hill Road in San Marcos (30 minutes south of Austin) also hosts DE events, so you might want to look into that. They've got a rental yellow miata (no clue what they charge to rent it) which would probably be available to you. It's not in great shape but it's a blast to drive.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

cough TWS cough

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TWS rents miatas also.

Off topic, but I'm surprised more of our northern neighbors don't fly down during the winter to run our tracks in the south. I couldnt' imagine going 6 months with no track time. I'm afraid I'd end up like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

We were out at TWS two weeks ago for a Driver's Edge event and I noticed they'd added a newer miata to their rental fleet. It looked like it was in much better shape than the others I've encountered.

We asked once about pricing for the TWS rental miatas. I don't recall exactly how much they wanted for a weekend rental but I remember it sounded a lot higher than I thought it should be. I don't remember if it included insurance or not, though.

I agree with VR, TWS is a great track and would definitely be worth a trip down from Ontario.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

HHR and TWS both seem like interesting alternatives, though TWS is a bit far from Austin to be a regular day trip. How is the track surface at HHR?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

HHR is a good short track, pretty smooth surface with a little elevation change. Did a couple of days there earlier this year with VR in my GT3. Going back up there next month when my friends Colbalt Blue GT3 shows up.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

BlackRain, did you need to be a member at HHR to use the track? It seems to me from reading the web site that I would have to join to use it.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Harris Hill Road (H2R, not HHR) is not open to the public, but they frequently host events for PCA, other DE organizations, or hosted by the track itself. And, of course, anyone can come as a guest of a member. (I think it costs something like $200 for a guest pass for the day).

There's an H2R-sponsored DE on 19 Dec, and a Driver's Edge DE 23-24 January 2010. I'm sure there are others as well, those are just the two I'm familiar with.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

H2R. Got it. I'm going to do some searching. It looks like a terrific track, and I'm a little concerned with needing 10 "practice sessions" at Driveway to graduate from L1 to L2.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
cough TWS cough

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
^^^^^ What he said.

Well worth the trip from Austin, and they do rent Miatas. They upgraded the cars this year, and they look pretty good.

Quick Reply: Austin, TX natives: where can I rent a prepped car for DE?