What did Brawn do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Not re-signing Button was all from MB. Brawn wanted him but once MB took over, they told Button to go to McLaren.

We'll now have German team with two German drivers in Rosberg & Heidfeld and British team with two British drivers in Hamilton & Button.
Nationality plays role in sponsorships and that means money so this makes good sense business sense. Whether that turns into Championships is a different matter.
Same thing at Ferrari, once their title sponsor changed to a Spanish bank, they naturally wanted to have a Spanish driver which with their money, they got.
Flawed ......

Having the WDC in your car is Sponsor money in the bank . I can bet everyone was having a hard time supporting a Journeyman like Button , who displayed his narcisistic side and wanted Bucks, i guess pretending he was really a WDC .

I'm sure Ross weighed his options , knowing how much he made Button and told him to go swivel . Mclaren in turn got the number 1 to stay with the team for peanuts and of course a fantastic no2 for Lewis ......
Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Ferrari fans would all commit suicide if that happened. No more schumi, no more raikkonen, schumi's rival in his last few years and also the man who cheated in a race which helped point-wise to take away Massa's championship joins the team, and then schumi joins their biggest rival.... lol I would pay to see the reactions.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, hmmm ...OK LSD.......
Old 11-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Larry, do you think that Mercedes had input to the Button decision? I'd love to see Sutil and Vettel at Brawn myself.
Best,
Without more information I wouldn't know, but I too would like to see Sutil in a more competitve car, like the Brawn. I don't think that Vettel needs to move, because IMHO he is in the other "best car on the grid".
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Without more information I wouldn't know, but I too would like to see Sutil in a more competitve car, like the Brawn. I don't think that Vettel needs to move, because IMHO he is in the other "best car on the grid".
Huh .... Inconsequential l Mumbo Heretic Opinion...., Don't be so hard on yourself larry

Yep Redbull will be the best car on the grid ? as it was this year ? a Pity Vettel couldn't deliver ....
Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Huh .... Inconsequential l Mumbo Heretic Opinion...., Don't be so hard on yourself larry

Yep Redbull will be the best car on the grid , as it was this year ....
Ooooooohhhhhhh Kaaaaaaaayyyyyy? In your expert opinion, which were the best cars on the grid in 2009? Obviously it was the Brawn by itself in the beginning of the season, but by the end the Red Bull was consistently faster. Some due to the better driving of Webber and Vettel, and some due to the improvement of the car. The McLaren was a greatly improved car by then, but without KERS, it still would have been mid-pack.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ooooooohhhhhhh Kaaaaaaaayyyyyy? In your expert opinion, which were the best cars on the grid in 2009? Obviously it was the Brawn by itself in the beginning of the season, but by the end the Red Bull was consistently faster. Some due to the better driving of Webber and Vettel, and some due to the improvement of the car. The McLaren was a greatly improved car by then, but without KERS, it still would have been mid-pack.
The brawn lost it's advantage by mid-season , giving that advantage to team Redbull . Vettel and webber never delivered on the opportunity . They will not be in contention next year , same as Brawn .

I give Redbull top 3 at best and you of course will owe me a bottle ... along with the other Amigos ..

At this moment , Hamilton is the favorite for the WDC , if the Ferrari is close , then FA is WDC ...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With everyone jumping ship I think Vettel will have an additional advantge in the symetry that the team has forged and believe he will be the best car on the grid bar none...
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

How many engines let loose in Vettel's car? 3? If two of the many, many things that went wrong for Vettel had turned out resonably well HE Would Be WDC.

RB had the superior car the second half of the season and Vettel drove the wheels off it. The kid is fearless. It is not 'if' but 'when' he win his Championship.

If Brawn had not been spotted 6 races they would not have won. I take nothing away from Brawn. They played by the rules and won fair and square. But they really did not have it together the 2nd half.

Next year's grid:

Top Tier: Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull
Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the flyin' scotsman
Ross must have thought that they could let Ruebens go, sign Nico and re-sign Jenson and all would be happy.

At the moment they have NO drivers signed and thats within a month of winning both championships and who's left to sign that could continue there top level position?

If I were Ross I'd be on a plane to Finland and get KR signed before he secures his 2010 calendar.
Hmmm....

Kimi is officially saying they haven't talked with MB and that there will be two German drivers there but what I'm hearing now is that Kimi going to MB might be happening...
Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmm....

Kimi is officially saying they haven't talked with MB and that there will be two German drivers there but what I'm hearing now is that Kimi going to MB might be happening...
I just read the same on Planet F1...............Ross and Nick seem quite pissed at Jenson.

If KR does join Merc I hope they kick McLarens butt............then watch JB cry.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:15 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Hmmm....

This would make next year a whole lot more interesting. I hope it happens.

If Kimi leaves it is doubtfull he would ever return.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=............then watch JB cry.[/QUOTE]

All the way to the bank.

I don't fully understand the dash for cash. At a certain point the money should be immaterial. E.g. if was RB, I'd rather get $5mm and win a world championship than get $10mm and not. But hey that's just me. And I still don't have a seat for 2010 btw.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Reports today are that Kimi says that he will only get into a "Competitive" car in 2011. If it's not a competitive car, he will not return to F1. It's possible the Iceman is gone from this form of motorsport.

I must say, I am intrigued by the possibility of him racing LeMans...
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pete
Reports today are that Kimi says that he will only get into a "Competitive" car in 2011. If it's not a competitive car, he will not return to F1. It's possible the Iceman is gone from this form of motorsport.

I must say, I am intrigued by the possibility of him racing LeMans...
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in WRC next year. He's already competed in a few lower-level rally events this year, and has openly said he enjoys it.

Quick Reply: What did Brawn do wrong?