Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I am really supprised that is the tow limit. My Touareg is rated upto 7700 (not saying it is the best rig for that weight just supprosed the 1500 is so low)
IMHO that flex fuel motor in the chevy isn't a very good towing motor. I have towed an open aluminum featherlight (loaded with a stock class 951) with a suburban with the same motor and that stupid truck struggled all the way to RA (and made about 9mpg). Maybe I am just use to towing with my 2500HD.

The V8 touareg is a really good towing vehicle if you have the air suspension. Without it, it is frightening. Been there done that.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck doesn't have the flex fuel engine but the standard 5.3 v8. It has the cylinder shutoff mode where I can run on 4 cyl when not under load which helps a lot on highway mileage. I do use my the truck for winter driving mainly as my daily driver is becoming more track oriented.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
My truck doesn't have the flex fuel engine but the standard 5.3 v8. It has the cylinder shutoff mode where I can run on 4 cyl when not under load which helps a lot on highway mileage. I do use my the truck for winter driving mainly as my daily driver is becoming more track oriented.
Sorry that is what I was referring to, cylinder shutoff.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

As I can never leave anything alone, I'll be adding the airraid intake and maybe some other small bolt ons to give it a little boost in power.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:29 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by jaje
As I can never leave anything alone, I'll be adding the airraid intake and maybe some other small bolt ons to give it a little boost in power.
Power isnt the only thing that determines tow ratings.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Just turned in my GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 5.3 with tow package. Was towing 20' enclosed alum trailer and car (5,800 lbs) with ease. Perhaps my final drive ratio was different? The 6,600 max rating surprises me. I doubt you'll have any problems unless you're really loading up on spares/equipment or have difficulties balancing the load.... or have a lot of hills to deal with.

Shame you couldn't have kept your 2500HD though - can handle more payload, higher tongue weight, and with the 6 liter motor.... Hmm.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

enclosed are great and for me 30' is the min, 45-50 goose would be best. Understanding your truck issues why not just rent an open trailer (or purchase used beater) until your lease runs out then get a rig that will tow what you need. I agree with others that for a car 24 is min. Lots of stuff on racejunk
Old 11-28-2009, 10:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

i started trailering in july 2009.
i didn't listen to others.
here is what's important: you can NEVER have too much trailer, you can NEVER have a big enough truck. if you have a 20' you will fill it up, if you have a 80'. trust me, you WILL fit it up.

i started with GTS and 20' enclosed.
ended up with GMC 2500 duramax and 24' enclosed all in 4 months.

hopefully you wont be as wrong as i was.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I just bought a used 20' x 8.5' Haulmark. It weighs 2900lbs empty and has dual brake axles and break away kit. I'm going to remove the 3/8" inside walls for now just to take out some weight and I just bought a weight distributing hitch and rear air bag helper springs which I will install soon. Since I'm moving up from an open trailer I don't have a lot of crap to haul (yet). The total GVW of the trailer with all my stuff looks like it'll be around 5,800 lbs and my truck should be able to easily tow it for the time being until summer 2011 when the lease ends on my truck.

Has anyone installed a hammock in their trailer? I would think that would be a neat addition as I've always slept comfortably in them.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:33 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I picked up the trailer a couple of weeks ago. I had to spend some money to get the brakes replaced, new hubs, new 7 way plug installed, new breakaway kit, fix a title VIN# error from original title, and get a new VIN sticker as the old one was almost completely unreadable (MFGR sent me all the info I needed which was great). Set me back a little but the trailer was pretty cheap.

Trailer weight was 3100lbs but I completely removed the interior walls and shelves someone previously installed as I don't need them. That took off what I'd guess ~ 200-300lbs. Empty I can tow it with little concern. I updated my truck to rear airbag helper springs so I can settle the load and prevent squat. I also had a trailer sway control added as I was getting a little sway when passing or being passed by semis.

I already had a big tow with it towing a '56 International Harvester Pickup with a big block DeSoto hemi v8 in it. That truck had to be chiseled out of a block of steel as you hit the fender with your knuckle it gonged like a bell! The side steps seemed to be made from 1" of steel. That thing weighed more than my car and equipment and I was able to tow it safely and securely.

Now to figure out a way to install an old hammock to use as a bed.

As for having to buy the biggest trailer and truck to tow it - I got by with a 16' open trailer for 3 years and didn't overload it with stuff (as I expect to do with this trailer too. I don't "need" something huge and I don't really have all that much stuff. I do use my truck for some personal use and would prefer the truck to be a little easier to drive, get better mpg (I can get 19-20 mpg combined - which is pretty good). Now for wants...hmm nice small RV with 24' Featherlite would be nice.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I am looking at an enclosed trailer as well. But would like to use as a dual purpose. Take it camping or hauling crap. Found these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Trailer-W...0acfd7&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-TOY-HAULE...#ht_1175wt_922
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have somewhat same probs as OP- I have Toyo Tacoma with tow package rated at 6500 lbs. I rarely haul (tech brings car with spares) but would like to be able to ocasssionally to local tracks (30 mins to 2 hrs away).

Car weighs 2600 lbs + 200 lbs for set of wheels.

The Trailex 84180 is nice, weighs nothing and would work but at $20k It makes no sense for the occasional (4x a year) haul. Any suggestions, excluding buying a heavier towing vehicle.
Right now I have an open Featherlite btw but car is unprotected from rain and sun.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Wow forgot about this thread. You'll laugh at what I'm using to tow my current racecar (Spec Miata).

Yep - total trailer weight 400 lbs - car is 2,050 lbs empty and then about 400 lbs of track items. Towing it with a diesel jeep grand cherokee and get 20 mpg doing 60 mph towing and about 18 doing 70mph.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:49 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a sweet deal on a 18' trailer, would like a 20 but the one i found is really nice. Cabinets, insulated, lights, tool box.... But it is 18' and the 944 would barely fit with the cabinets. But the price is right....
And how do i buy a trailer and hide it from the wife???
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 18' Enclosed Trailer?