Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why you don't camp in the left lane in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome video. Good thing it was in Germany and not in the US. Here some lady on her cell phone would have been in the left lane, with no clue what was going on around her.
I have been driving a lot on the German Autobahns, and on European freeways in general. The rule is stay in the right lane, unless you are passing, and use the rear view mirror all the time. Absolutely no passing on the right side. Why don't the Americans get this? I have lived in the US for 5 years, and every day their lack of driving basic knowledge is scaring me. A couple of years ago my daughter got her driver's license here in the US, and I used the oportunity to study the trafic rules and regulations over here. They are basically the same as in Europe, slower traffic to the right, passing to the left. Why is it that there is complete anarchy on US highways, nobody follows the rules, and the police don't care? I probably address the question in the wrong forum, I assume most drivers here are more aware of their surroundings. But still, everyday driving in Houston makes me scared, frustrated and even angry about peoples lack of basic traffic awereness, rules and choice of lane. And the only rule the police know about is the speed limit...
Any comments, fellow rennlisters?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-21-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default autobahn

I had a similar experience in 1992 while living in the Netherlands. On the way to pick up my son in Italy, I had my 91 3 Series wrapped up to the redline south of Heidleburg about 6 AM on a Sunday morning.. Saw a light in the distance that was gaining on me. Moved over and a motorcycle! went by me almast like that. Motorcycle!!! Scared me to death. Have no idea what kind of bike it was, i think it was red.

Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Germany for several weeks this year with my new 2010 GT3 and there is no doubt a noticeable difference in driving patters. That being said, there is still no way I would have done what the guy in the video did, passing at such high speeds on a two lane section. Though there was a general trend for people to stay to the right, I still noticed people pulling infront of me when I was in the left lane doing 150 mph. The below picture was taken on a 3 lane section early in the morning, and yes it is in mph

Name:  TopSpeed 201.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
I was in Germany for several weeks this year with my new 2010 GT3 and there is no doubt a noticeable difference in driving patters. That being said, there is still no way I would have done what the guy in the video did, passing at such high speeds on a two lane section. Though there was a general trend for people to stay to the right, I still noticed people pulling infront of me when I was in the left lane doing 150 mph. The below picture was taken on a 3 lane section early in the morning, and yes it is in mph

Attachment 398562
So much for the mild-mannered pharmacist.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When we did our Euro delivery in '03 our contact at the factory made a big deal about staying right AT ALL TIMES YA VOL?? (sp?)
Anyway, we were on our way to Dresden and only had a couple of hundred miles on the car so I was running at 4K (about) 102 MPH in the middle of 3 lanes.
All of a sudden this big egg shaped blur passed us on the left at at least 130 MPH.
My wife asked me WTF was that?
I said "honey, you just got passed by a friggin Dodge minivan..." No ****...

Most of the cars that passed us were the big Mercs or BMW's
Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

As cool as the autobahn is, that kind of speed differential on a 2-lane stretch is a risk I would not have the attachments to take (or to subject others . I agree that there is a dramatic difference in lane discipline in Germany.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fly911
Why is it that there is complete anarchy on US highways, nobody follows the rules, and the police don't care?
Same problem in Canada, must be a European thing to obey street rules. There is more police effort fighting speeders then fighting real crime. I guess its an easy cash cow.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Accidents on the Autobahn related to high speed are few and far in between. That leads me to believe that people there just know to stay in the right lane and use their friggin' mirrors!

It might look scary to some of us in the US, but if you know what you are supposed to do you just do it and don't dwell on it.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

The "keep right" law is on the book but not enforced.
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Some states are changing their laws to make it illegal to camp on the left and start enforcing. Let's hope that it spread to all states.
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../093009-04.htm
Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kw_1055
The "keep right" law is on the book but not enforced.
http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html
Some states are changing their laws to make it illegal to camp on the left and start enforcing. Let's hope that it spread to all states.
http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../093009-04.htm
Using turn signals is also required by law, but it is rare to see them used and police do not enforce it unless they are looking for an excuse to pull someone over anyway.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by snasrulla
Same problem in Canada, must be a European thing to obey street rules. There is more police effort fighting speeders then fighting real crime. I guess its an easy cash cow.
It's all about the revenue, and we have the politicians to thank for that. Speeding is an easy money-maker because most everyone does it. It doesn't matter that it doesn't actually cause wrecks on its own, they just want money. Everytime I've seen a speeder that was a wreck waiting to happen, it was because he was breaking some other law in addition to speeding... most often, there was blatant reckless driving involved. Take away the speeding, and they were still wrecks waiting to happen.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a repost... and a z06 is the car that flies by. Camera car was a GTI if I recall correctly.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Freezing the image, the car does not look like a corvette. Too high for one thing. Looks more like a Nissan GTR, but I cannot be sure.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

In my twenty years of driving in Jersey this is the only ticket I've gotten. "Failure to keep right".

I was in the middle lane of the local GS Parkway with my cruise control on.

I came up on a car full of Whiteheads so I moved in to the left lane to pass them and they proceeded to drive at the same speed as me so I couldn't get by.

Little did I know a Trooper was up my *** and he lit me up. I explained that the dope next to me had sped up so I couldn't get around him.

He proceeded to tell me that the left hand lane is for passing....Blah,blah,blah. and emergency vehicles....blah,blah,blah

I still think he pulled me over cause he hated whitey.

Quick Reply: This is why you don't camp in the left lane in Germany