Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions - lift for garage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a mid-rise scissors lift that is great but would rather have the max jack for better accessibility.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM
43bullet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julian Allen
Here's a garage with the Bend Pak lift recessed--

And here's my shop with the same lift recessed, up at working height. Since my car is a 968 I particularly like the flat floor at the front of the car.

And here's the lift down at the other end. I put an aluminum plate over the open recess after this photo was taken.

Hopefully, these give you an idea of the result. It was a several month weekend project, but it's really nice to be able to bring a low car in on.
this looks awesome.

thanks for taking the time to post the pics.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
43bullet
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naroescape
on page 2
how deep did you cut into the cement to recess the lift? looks bout 4 inches.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My slab was 4-5" thick. I rented a wet concrete saw (you have to plan ahead for water everywhere) and cut all the way through so I could remove an area about 8" bigger than the lift all the way around. Then I made more cuts in the area to be removed so I could manage 12 or 14" squares. Here's the removed concrete in the back of my truck:

I then dug out nearly a foot. I wanted the new concrete to tie into the old one with rebar, and I wanted about 5" under the lift. After packing the base, and under cutting the original slab a few inches, I formed my rebar and drilled holes in the old slab, then epoxied the rebar into the holes. This is the rebar work done with 14" square spacing.

I used 2x6's for the forms. The lift originally came with extensions for longer wheelbases, but I didn't mount them because they would have added 2" of width around the lift and the 968 and our other cars fit fine on the lift as is. Once it was formed up the concrete truck and a friend who does concrete work arrived. I used 4000 psi concrete, and kept the recess flooded for 30 days to get a strong cure.

I ran a conduit under the slab to the spot for the hydraulic box, cut a six inch hole in the slab where it would come out, then used hydraulic cement (increases in size as it cures) to close that defect. A hydraulic line shop made up a new hose of the proper length that allowed me to place the pump where I wanted it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, now that's a work of art. Can I hire you to build my bomb shelter in the back yard?

Quick Reply: suggestions - lift for garage