Downshifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I take the turn in third as well.
I also downshift from 5th to 3rd.
For me it allows me to delay the braking and concentrate more on it. I like the idea of having both hands on the wheel when I'm threshold braking..

Bryan-
I do trail brake and a few times I've had to downshift after turning in depending on traffic, so long as I'm able to get on the gas before apex it's worked out form me.

I'll be the first to admit though that the experience of some of you on here is more than I'll ever have so I won't say this is the best way to do it, just what works for me.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Never raced RA but I've always been a hard on the brakes and sequentially down shift racer. IMHO your ears tell you the dshift points while your eyes concentrate on the upcoming corner and the feet work the anchors.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
For the skip shifters out there:

How successful are you are consistently making a HUGE 3500-5000 RPM blip before your downshift at the end of the braking zone while keeping constant brake pressure?
I feel like I can do it pretty consistently. It's just a matter of timing and patience. Basically I make the "big downshift" at the same time that you would make your last one.

Are you trail braking into turns? And if so, do you ever have downshifts that need to be completed after turn-in?
Yes I do trailbrake into the turns, and typically no, they are almost always complete before turn-in. The only exceptions that I can think of are Daytona turn 1, where I go from 5th to 3rd for the first turn-in, and then down to second, and Sebring turn 17 where I would slowly go down 1 gear at a time as I decelerated into the apex.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes I do trailbrake into the turns, and typically no, they are almost always complete before turn-in. The only exceptions that I can think of are Daytona turn 1, where I go from 5th to 3rd for the first turn-in, and then down to second, and Sebring turn 17 where I would slowly go down 1 gear at a time as I decelerated into the apex.
Good call, Larry, Sebring 17 is the perfect example.

BTW, downshift, clutch out each gear for multi gear changes. It's really a rhythm for me. Shifting finished before turn in 99% of the time.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Jack, never been to Road Atlanta but with a 915 I don't shift through the gears (unless I have cars in front of me and yes I know you have a G50). I would brake to the point where I was at the upper end of 2nd gear range (speed/rev wise), rev accordingly, drop her into second and go.

Si'^^^^
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With the shorter 924 S gearing I am out of rev's in 4th before black flag. I too brake inside the 100 but take it through 4th with a blip on the way to 3rd at the turn in. Yea I am probably coasting for a brief second but I find it comfortable. Didn't give it a lot of thought until this past weekend when my student tried to duplicate the method.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
With the shorter 924 S gearing I am out of rev's in 4th before black flag. I too brake inside the 100 but take it through 4th with a blip on the way to 3rd at the turn in. Yea I am probably coasting for a brief second but I find it comfortable. Didn't give it a lot of thought until this past weekend when my student tried to duplicate the method.
So you just hold the engine at redline from black flag all the way to the braking zone?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go with the 5 - 2 shift no problem (915). I used to lug through 10a/10b in 3rd but looked at data that verified 2nd was the way to go in my car. I'm sure it depends on your gearing. I used to row through the gears but no longer feel the need to.

3) Despite what folks say, there is PLENTY of time for multiple downshifts. In a Formula Mazda, I was able to go from 5th to 1st in the 10a braking zone a Road Atlanta, with a blip in each gear, while braking around the 200 marker. If your downshifts are that slow, you're doing something wrong IMO.
I'm guessing it has been awhile since you've driven a car with 915. Not exactly a BMW with sequential shift.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
So you just hold the engine at redline from black flag all the way to the braking zone?
Poorly written. No, shift to 5th about 3/4 down the back, pre black flag at around 100 or so. Car tops out at about 115 coming down the hill. May not be real accurate as that is based on the 20 year old speedo. One of the fast guy 924/944 racers told me his Traqmate shows him at 117 coming down the hill into 10.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I go with the 5 - 2 shift no problem (915). I used to lug through 10a/10b in 3rd but looked at data that verified 2nd was the way to go in my car. I'm sure it depends on your gearing. I used to row through the gears but no longer feel the need to.
No question 2nd is faster. I would be lugging through the turns and up the hill in 3rd, as well as getting passed during the race.

Originally Posted by chrisc
Poorly written. No, shift to 5th about 3/4 down the back, pre black flag at around 100 or so. Car tops out at about 115 coming down the hill. May not be real accurate as that is based on the 20 year old speedo. One of the fast guy 924/944 racers told me his Traqmate shows him at 117 coming down the hill into 10.
That makes more sense. Last weekend I spent Saturday nursing 4th all the way (which may be possible in March with 2" taller tires on the rear), then on Sunday started using 5th. 5th is much faster, as evidenced by how hard I had to brake to get slowed down. But if the taller tires work in 4th then I'll stick with it because I had some trouble grinding 2nd when I was going 5-2.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Curious. What speed are you guys running through 10a and out of 10b?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't have my data Randy, but on my video I shifted from 2nd to 3rd right before the bridge, so that was about 80 mph.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Curious. What speed are you guys running through 10a and out of 10b?
My wheelspeed sensor was broken a few weekends ago when we were there, but the other cars I was running with were doing right at 90 mph at the bridge IIRC.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My wheelspeed sensor was broken a few weekends ago when we were there, but the other cars I was running with were doing right at 90 mph at the bridge IIRC.
That's pretty quick, what kind of lap times?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you running MoTec or AIM? I can't remember.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Question