Sponsored by:

Bolt in roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched an SRF pirouette across the grass and go into the tire wall @ Hallett backwards. All that energy compressed the tire wall, and with the SRF being so ***-heavy, the nose rotated vertically up towards the sky. When all that potential energy compressed into the tires sprang back, the car launched towards the clouds and back-flipped over the tire wall.

This was my FIRST race weekend in my new SRF. The (hot) girl droving the back flipper crawled out, went back to the paddock, and bolted four new corners on the car & was back out the next morning. She did have an AMAZING amount of help from all the single guys (and a lot of married guys, too) in the paddock.

I remember watching the backflip unfold, thinking, 'Damn! This is the kind of stuffs I'm supposed to be watching Indy cars do on TV, not at my little amateur racing event!'
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
If you saw the photos from the passenger side, you can see the roof was crushed on the drivers side edge and there was still a lot of height in the passenger side and even the center/right of the drivers side.

Looks very lucky to me.
Yeah the roof still had to impact helmets right? You hear about freak accidents this seems like a freak non-accident (injury-wise). I had the same thought about harnesses. Straight down is not how we expect them to be loaded so who knows! I'm guessing either 3 point or the harnesses just slipped off.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Poseur rollbar, installed by idiots.

Lucky they didn't kill anyone. Don't just walk away from builder/tuners like this...RUN.
Looks like an Autopower "street" roll bar. To be fair, it's a reasonable choice for a street car, and a reputable brand. The problem is that this guy had a car that was far in excess of what belongs on the street. When you flip an 800 HP 4000lb beast and it lands square on its roll bar, which is the worst angle possible, it's not surprising to see it punch through the floor pan, as well as smash all of the car's factory roll-over protection flat like a pancake. A roll bar that's a decent choice for a 2600lb street car isn't always so great for a 800 HP lead-sled. A real cage, even a bolt-in that mounts to the floor pan, could distribute that load a lot better and be far more resistant to punching through.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the follow ups with the shop, it looks like they were using 5pt's with the shoulders mounted on the rollbar. supposedly when the rollbar punched thru, it yanked the harnesses with it....which sounds even more spinal compression dangerous.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, you can see the photos now in original link (see few below), I have to admit even the best roll cage would have to be pretty good to hold 4000 lbs Mustang "dumbed" upside down like that, let alone any roll bar...
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Bolt in roll bar