Sponsored by:

Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Harnesses

Anyone have any feedback concerning Crow Enterprizes harnesses?
thanks
Dwane
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a set. They were fine. Hardware was good quality - no sticking, etc.

They do tend to be more responsive to questions and special requirements than most.

The only caution I would suggest is to make sure that you are getting adjustable belts in the places you need that. Their formula car belts tend to be non-adjustable for both subs and laps (I consider this a good thing in a formula/sports racer). I saw one person use these non-adjustable belts in a street car. What a PITA.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:22 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't crash.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats helpful.^
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Don't crash.
Maybe I won't use a helmet either!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:50 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Let's try this again: I wouldn't let my dog use that product, but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:14 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's try this again: I wouldn't let my dog use that product, but that's just my opinion.
What's your negative experience with Crow Enterprize's products? I use them and have had no issue and I know allot of Porsche racers who use them in my Club. I visited their plant before buying, saw there operation (open to the public) and was satisfied. What went wrong with your experience?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I never had crow but I tried simpson, momo and schroth and schroth are by far the best belts. Simpson were fine and adjustment wasn't so bad. Momo were stiff, adjustment was frigging impossible even pulling with both your hands. Schroth lap belts were a breeze to adjust especially in the pull up configuration and the shoulder belts were just soft enough not to hurt your neck. By far the best and I guess you pay for what you get...... On second thought I guess not cause Momo belt were frigging expensive. Anyhow, go with schroth profiII.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
What's your negative experience with Crow Enterprize's products? I use them and have had no issue and I know allot of Porsche racers who use them in my Club. I visited their plant before buying, saw there operation (open to the public) and was satisfied. What went wrong with your experience?
Small world, Sam; I used to live in Lake Forest.

I've had no experience with Crow. I expect they are great folks with fine service, and that the design is perfectly adequate for Club racing -- after all, it is SFI certified. However, in my opinion, that design resides at the low end of the performance spectrum.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I looked at the website and they make many designs. The OP did not note which type he was looking at. Are all Crow products just passable or is the poor design in one type such as the loop type 6 point system? Is there something systemic like the overall materals and workmanship what is the issue? Just OK hardware, webbing, stitching? The sets look (from web images) to be the same format as many others such as 5 point with cam or latch link. what would make the products peformance better?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Probably the general construction is the difference -- although some manufacturers will cut back on the hardware to save weight.

Word on the street is that the high end products will carry 2x the load of the low end products. If you run the numbers the low end is well under 100Gs with no cushion.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with Crow, but the new Schroth 'enduro' belts are fabulous. Finally a lap belt that is easy to adjust and pull tight while in the seat.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I also love the Schroth enduro belts.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Probably the general construction is the difference -- although some manufacturers will cut back on the hardware to save weight.

Word on the street is that the high end products will carry 2x the load of the low end products. If you run the numbers the low end is well under 100Gs with no cushion.
thanks for fleshing that out a bit. 100 is within reach if you find something hard.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

That's a good thing though, right?

(I'm looking at the weight budget for the new car, and drooling over the F1-spec Willans formula car harnesses... they're advertising a weight of about 2.5lbs... seems a whole lot better than the 7# Impact set that came with the car...)

Quick Reply: Harnesses