Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts
Default FINALLY: Max Mosley OUT -- Todt in, as president of FIA

Todt becomes FIA President
23 October 2009

Jean Todt has been elected as new President of the FIA after enjoying a comfortable victory in elections on Friday. With the voting having taken place at the Paris headquarters of the motorsport governing body, the Frenchman beats Finland's Ari Vatanen to succeed Max Mosley, who in-turn moves into retirement.

With leadership of the FIA changing on Friday for the first time since 1993, both candidates and their relevant cabinet members were able to host a 15-minute presentation, with Todt leading proceedings.

Jean Todt, new President of the FIA
Following this - with a supervisor overseeing the procedure - votes was cast by the relevant FIA member groups from various countries, with those nations which hold more than one significant motoring club either having to agree on one member or cast a blank vote.

Ultimately, with 12 invalid votes, the former Ferrari Team Principal held a significant lead with 135 ballots marked in his favour as opposed to the 49 for Vatanen, World Rally Champion of 1981. Consequently, Todt now starts his a first four-year term as leader of the federation.

Todt's full candidacy list can be seen below:

President of the Senate
Nick Craw, President, Automobile Competition Committee for the US (USA)

Deputy President Automobile Mobility & Tourism
Brian Gibbons, Chief Executive, New Zealand Automobile Association (New Zealand)

Deputy President Sport
Graham Stoker, Council Chairman, Motor Sports Association (UK)

Senate Members
- Hernan Gallegos Banderas, President, Automovil Club del Ecuador (Ecuador)
- HH Tunku Mudzaffar bin Tunku Mustapha, Chairman, Automobile Association of Malaysia (Malaysia)
- S.H. Rudolf Graf von der Schulenburg, President, Automobilclub von Deutschland (Germany)
- Carlos Slim Domit, Patron, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
- Jainchang Yan, Deputy President, Federation of Automobile Sports of China (China)

Mobility Vice Presidents
- Carlos Barbosa, President, Automovel Club de Portugal (Portugal)
- Victor Dumot, President, Touring and Automobile Club of Paraguay (Paraguay)
- Ignacio Gonzalez Fausto, President, Asociación Mexicana Automovilistica (Mexico)
- Gus Lagman, President, Automobile Association Philippines (Philippines)
- Franco Lucchesi, Delegate to the FIA, Automobile Club d'Italia (Italy)
- Jorge Rosales, President, Automobile Club of Argentina (Argentina)
- Danijel Starman, President, Avto-moto zveza Slovenije (Slovenia)

Sport Vice Presidents
- José Abed, President, Organizacion Mexicana del Deporte Automovilistico Internacional (Mexico)
- Michel Boeri, President, Automobile Club de Monaco (Monaco)
- Morrie Chandler, Honorary President, MotorSport New Zealand (New Zealand)
- Enrico Gelpi, President, Automobile Club d'Italia (Italy)
- Carlos Gracia, President, Real Federación Española de Automovilismo (Spain)
- Mohamed ben Sulayem, President, Automobile and Touring Club for United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- Surinder Thatthi, Automobile Association of Tanzania (Tanzania)
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the FIA Senate and VP's are prez's of Automobile Clubs?
How odd.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that the AAA (yes, THAT AAA) is a member of the FIA...so your tow truck driver may actually have a provisional F1 Superlicense...
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Curious as to how the change in leadership impacts the series.....
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think he'll be a good fit. I would like to have seen Jackie Stewart. Whoeve it is has a big mess to clean up.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't thrill me.
Ari would have really brought some much needed change.
Also - Nicolas Todt (Jean's son) is Felipe Massa's manger, so which way do you think the rulings will go in a controversy?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good point, yet another 'Ferrari mafia' member in power.....
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Ferrari will win the mfg. championship next year and years to come.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Doesn't thrill me.
Ari would have really brought some much needed change.
Also - Nicolas Todt (Jean's son) is Felipe Massa's manger, so which way do you think the rulings will go in a controversy?
+1

I like Jean Todt in general and what he did in Ferrari is not much short of miracle and I hope and believe he'll do a good job but this seems to end up being "same **** different day" more than change and Ferrari connection no doubt makes things more dicey...

Did you hear about Mosley's latest strike as an ******* dictator he is?

Both candidates had 15 minute long speech before the voting, J.T. went 1st and spoke minutes over the 15 minutes (which IMO is ok, who cares if it's 15 or 18 or... minutes) but then when Ari held his speech, exactly at the 15 minute mark, Mosley stopped Ari speech.
He's not the dictator people accuse him of being, right?
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

It's easy to say that Todt was at Ferrari, and his son is Massa's agent so we know where he will be voting, but before we prejudge Todt, let's see what his first actions are.

As it relates to Massa, there is no guarantee he is going to come back anywhere near how he drove pre-injury and his career as an F1 driver are really 50/50 at this point. I feel this has no basis on Todt in the FIA

And as it relates to Todt as a person, he has always impressed as an even keel man when at Ferrari and prior to that in the Rally world.

Finn, I know that you feel the world should be run only by Finnish people, but Todt, IMO was a better candidate than Ari.

Whatever may happen in the future, it HAS to be better than what you would have got from another Max Mosely term in office.

EDIT: Lest we forget that the FIA unilaterally mandated that EVERYONE on the grid use a McLAREN ECU in their car. No vote, no protesting, that's the way it is. Hard to imagine the black helicopter theory with that kind of action.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
It's easy to say that Todt was at Ferrari, and his son is Massa's agent so we know where he will be voting, but before we prejudge Todt, let's see what his first actions are.

As it relates to Massa, there is no guarantee he is going to come back anywhere near how he drove pre-injury and his career as an F1 driver are really 50/50 at this point. I feel this has no basis on Todt in the FIA

And as it relates to Todt as a person, he has always impressed as an even keel man when at Ferrari and prior to that in the Rally world.

Finn, I know that you feel the world should be run only by Finnish people, but Todt, IMO was a better candidate than Ari.

Whatever may happen in the future, it HAS to be better than what you would have got from another Max Mosely term in office.

EDIT: Lest we forget that the FIA unilaterally mandated that EVERYONE on the grid use a McLAREN ECU in their car. No vote, no protesting, that's the way it is. Hard to imagine the black helicopter theory with that kind of action.
+1 except everyone knows the black helicopters are actually silver...
Old 10-24-2009, 04:40 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Q & A with both on Autosport.com

3. What do you consider to be the biggest challenges that the FIA faces during the next four years?

JT: We still face a difficult global economic situation and are challenged by issues such as CO2 emissions reduction and its impact on both motor sport and mobility. In developing countries there is a dramatic growth in vehicle ownership and this brings road safety and environmental challenges which must be addressed. Within the FIA we need to improve the synergies between mobility and sport.

AV: We have to defend this mode of transport - the mode of transport which is chosen by more than a billion people. Automotive transport deserves and demands equal treatment with other modes of transport. We want more funding for the road infrastructure, which translates into saving more lives by reducing the number of road accidents.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete,

The other candidate happened to be Finnish but I don't give a **** if a head of FIA is Finnish or not. And as I said, I like Todt and what he has done in his past but to me it seems that him being there will bring more same than change and IMO there needs to be change.

Hopefully Todt brings change and more rational approach to everything FIA does, because it's needed.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 429 Posts

I'm not keen on the gnome running the FIA it'll be the same as Mosley. You're only fooling yourself if you think it's going to be any different.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:59 AM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Anyone that has the strong endorsement of Bernie and Max bears close scrutiny. While I can give J. Todt the benefit of the doubt, I won't be surprised if Todt's many possible conflicts of interest begin to unveil themselves.

Quick Reply: FINALLY: Max Mosley OUT -- Todt in, as president of FIA