Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USF1 will "NOT" be hiring an American driver for 2010. Target NASCAR driver in '11

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is starting to sound like traces of a BUST!!!!! If they don't make is for 2010, and are paying people month to month, is there any way they can stick around for 2011? Just now building ONE car? And how many times have we heard how much longer it takes to develop even PARTS for a car using simulators and not real testing this year, yet they are content with using simulators for the WHOLE CAR.....

I don't mean to bash because I really hope this works, but it seems like they would have gotten this information a long time ago instead of trying to sell everyone on US based drivers.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of a Super license wasn't there some comments on how it was somewhat of a joke to get...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some slight of hand for Kimi getting his license? What single seat championship did he win?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE: Kimi

In 1998 he was 1st in Nordic (karting) Championship at Varna in Norway. In 1999, Räikkönen was placed second in the European Formula Super A championship. In the same year, he also competed in the Formula Ford Euro Cup. By the age of twenty, he had won the British Formula Renault winter series, winning the first four races of the year. In 2000, he won seven out of ten events in the Formula Renault UK Championship. Over two series of Formula Renault (1999, 2000), he won 13 out of 23 events — a 56% win rate.
And Sauber vouched for him after 3 or 4 tests.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Kimi was the exception to the rule and Peter Sauber's reputation carried the "Provisional" super license a long way to getting him in an F1 car.

I remember reading tests when Kimi first got into an F1 car and how he jumped out after 2 laps saying that he couldn't keep his head up from all the G force strain on his neck.

Obviously Sauber's eye for talent was good and the rest is history.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:59 PM
quick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Kyle Busch can likely race anything with wheels. He is very quick on the NASCAR road race circuits, he is young, has great reflexes, and he has been driving since he was a little kid. He is aggressive and has big sponsor dollars. And, he had 21 wins in 2008 in Cup, Nationwide and trucks. And for those of you with the, ahem, funny "Southern dialect" posts, Kyle is from Las Vegas....

Frankly, F1 drivers don't shift and don't drift. They punch paddles and drive cars with so much downforce that the faster they go, the better the cars stick. I think a guy who can 4 wheel drift a 3600 pound tank at 190 mph on a track with walls on both sides can learn to drive the finer-tuned, lighter weight machine much better than the other way around.

He may not start off in the upper echelon, but given a few years, I think Kyle could get there....
Old 10-29-2009, 09:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,092 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by quick
I think Kyle Busch can likely race anything with wheels. He is very quick on the NASCAR road race circuits, he is young, has great reflexes, and he has been driving since he was a little kid. He is aggressive and has big sponsor dollars. And, he had 21 wins in 2008 in Cup, Nationwide and trucks. And for those of you with the, ahem, funny "Southern dialect" posts, Kyle is from Las Vegas....

Frankly, F1 drivers don't shift and don't drift. They punch paddles and drive cars with so much downforce that the faster they go, the better the cars stick. I think a guy who can 4 wheel drift a 3600 pound tank at 190 mph on a track with walls on both sides can learn to drive the finer-tuned, lighter weight machine much better than the other way around.

He may not start off in the upper echelon, but given a few years, I think Kyle could get there....
I don't know, that Montoya guy is doing pretty well this year, isn't he?

Just because a tank commander can't manuver a 3600 tank doesn't mean he can jump into a fighter jet and fly. On ovals, the NASCAR boys don't shift, they lift and brake. Sliding an F1 car only slows you down so there is no comparison there.

Ever see a street race in F1? Walls everywhere. No fenders either to take the blow when you hit one.

Not saying those guys don't have skills, because they do, but until a NASCAR driver comes over, I don't think they could even be a test driver in Formula 1.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by quick

You don't get a few years in F1 though. He'll have to be equal to the other driver on his team right out of the box and I think that's going to be too tall of an order.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There isn't a single NASCAR driver, including the now portly Montoya, that would have a hope in hell of competing in F1...it's delusional...
Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

Maybe they can hire Trulli and Sutil- they seem to be getting along famously these days...

Quick Reply: USF1 will "NOT" be hiring an American driver for 2010. Target NASCAR driver in '11