Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USF1 will "NOT" be hiring an American driver for 2010. Target NASCAR driver in '11

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

i think i said in our original forum they should hire him. I think with the right training Kyle can be a contender.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I always assumed they were going to buy the Lola F1 car as a base, develop aero only for the first year.

We hear both stories, no way to have a car ready in time to they are on shedule (english schedule)
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting and somewhat sad news....

One question I have is that you hear all this talk about a car. Is it just a figure of speach or are they actually only building one car?

Don't they have to get the chassis / cockpit FIA crash tested as well. It seems that you'd have to build half a dozen or so and have them certified before you can get too far down the road.
Also, how far can you go withouth knowing what engine you're going to stuff in there? I thought the engine was an integral part of the chassis...

Seems like they're behind the 8 ball.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

There was an interview with Ecclestone a couple of weeks ago on BBC and at the time he said he was really concerned about USF1. He feared they might not make it for 2010. Now there's pressure!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought they had a few Carbon Fiber plants fabbing bits and pieces for USF1.
Suspension bits. Tub bits.

Honda/Brawn had to adapt the stonkin' Mercedes powerplant into their chassis very late into the game.
Did it in time but with more compromises.

Need a very cool-headed young gun like a Kobayashi/Vettel and a good seasoned pro that can develop the car and share knowledge about the F1 opera.
Think the BBC boys joked with Couldhart? (he's F1 commentator there) if he'd be interested.

So who's the title sponsor for USF1?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 PM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe USF1 will use Toyota engines for free in exchange for running a Japanese driver. That would make some sense, if they could get a good 2nd driver.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,266 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I always assumed they were going to buy the Lola F1 car as a base, develop aero only for the first year.

We hear both stories, no way to have a car ready in time to they are on shedule (english schedule)
If my memory serves me right, I thought that starting in 2010 you can have customer cars like customer engines. That was the whole rift a year ago when Red Bull wanted to sell Toro Roso, the rules stated that you had to manufacture your own car. We all know that Red Bull was giving Toro Roso their old chassis.

The talk of selling the team now has gone because of the customer car and that is why some of these teams like CamposF1 can come in with only a few months to go and be ready for the 2010 season.

I believe Google was the title sponsor for USF1 or at least a contributor.

It would make sense to have a NASCAR team and the USF1 team collaberate on shop space and autoclave etc.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928

So who's the title sponsor for USF1?
IIRC, one of the principals behind YouTube is the primary sponsor
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your right Lewis. I was thinking Google, but it is Youtube
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Not easy to get a Super License

If a multiple world champion rally driver that turns left AND right can't get a super license, Kyle Busch ain't getting one. Didn't Alexander Rossi win the Formula BMW of the Americas single seater championship within the last 12 months? Doesn't that qualify?

Loeb's F1 debut blocked by FIA
22 October 2009

Sébastien Loeb is believed to have come close to a Formula One debut with Toro Rosso for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix; however, the multiple World Rally Champion has revealed that he has not been granted an FIA Superlicence and, furthermore, does not expect such an opportunity to arise in the future.

According to Loeb's official website, all necessary arrangements were in place for a last-race debut next weekend although F1 governing body the FIA would not issue the Frenchman the required Superlicence due to the driver not meeting all requirements, such as sufficient mileage in an F1 car or, alternatively, a championship title in a single-seater formula.

Sébastien tested Red Bull's F1 car in Barcelona last winter
When asked if he was disappointed with the news, Loeb replied: "Not really. I take things as they come and I have no regrets for trying. It's just a shame because it could have been a lot of fun, obviously; the regulations are very precise - I do not meet some of the conditions, so it was logical that I wasn't granted a licence."

The Citroën WRC man - Champion since 2004 - does admit that preparations have been ongoing recently. "I worked hard to train my neck, even though I wasn't sure if I was going to race in Abu Dhabi, but had to take such an opportunity very seriously and prepare myself well," he explained, having also tested a GP2 car in Jerez. "Formula One is so much harder, physically, than rallying."

Sadly for Loeb, the dream of entering Formula One now appears to be no more than that. "Opportunities like these come once in a lifetime and that is why I accepted the challenge," he concluded. "To find an opportunity like this one again seems very unlikely, so I don't think I will get the chance to enter F1 again."
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajcjr
i think i said in our original forum they should hire him. I think with the right training Kyle can be a contender.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Loeb sounds like a real gentleman.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Dat was to save face for Loeb , who would have been seriously off pace to the detriment of the Rally Boys ...

Old 10-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that any IndyCar driver who was top 6 in last year's championship would also qualify for a superlicence as well. You don't have to be a series champion, in any of the leagues, just top 5 or something like that. There's gotta be some american talent in the top 6 at Indy that could try F1...

Quick Reply: USF1 will "NOT" be hiring an American driver for 2010. Target NASCAR driver in '11