Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Sounding better. Obviously looking at pictures can be deceiving. The belts look far more than 4" apart to me. Now all you need is some shaft collars to make sure they stay there. By the way, the 4" idea comes from people's neck width, which is generally around that number. If you go without the HANS (why would you?) then you want the belts as close to neck width as possible. The wider the belts go apart, the less likely it is that you will stay in them. I simply default to that whenever possible, or applicable.
I think my HANS is what is missing in the pictures since if affects the angle and placement of the belts as they go through the holes.

Shaft collars... one per belt (on the outer edge)?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
Yep;

That is sufficient.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
I think my HANS is what is missing in the pictures since if affects the angle and placement of the belts as they go through the holes.

Yep, I have a GMG bar and use this setup for the belts+HANS. i.e. shaft collar located on outside of belts giving the recommended belt width distance.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks for the testing and validation "from the desktop". If I'm lucky, that's as far as it will ever go, but the unlucky scenario is the only one matters in terms of real-world performance.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

hello
i am relatively new at this so a couple of questions
i have a 2004 996 gt3 that is currentlly stock
i am going to put in seats , bar and harness
initially i was going to use the gt3 seats but i came across the gt2 seats that you have (i believe they are the gt2 seats) my mechanic however tells me there is no passthrough for the 6 point harness without some modification. clearly you have the 6 point harness . did you have to do something to the seat?
the second question is about the bar is it the gmg "worl challange" bar

thank you very much
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rkirshner
hello
i am relatively new at this so a couple of questions
i have a 2004 996 gt3 that is currentlly stock
i am going to put in seats , bar and harness
initially i was going to use the gt3 seats but i came across the gt2 seats that you have (i believe they are the gt2 seats) my mechanic however tells me there is no passthrough for the 6 point harness without some modification. clearly you have the 6 point harness . did you have to do something to the seat?
the second question is about the bar is it the gmg "worl challange" bar

thank you very much
Yes, it's the world challenge bar.

There were two modifications required to make the GT2 seats work:

1) the weight sensors for airbag deployment (standard in most all seats these days) had to be removed. Since I don't anticipate putting infants in car carriers in the passenger seat, this was hardly an issue for me.

2) Additional mount points had to be created for the anti-sub bar to be properly installed. The biggest impact is that once the seats are installed, it is fairly inaccessible so we had to make final adjustments to the anti-sub belt length prior to putting the seats in. Since these belts pass through the seat bottom, perhaps your mechanic was referring to these vs. the shoulder belts.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

thank you for answering so quickly
yes he was referring to passing the anti-sub belt through the seat cushion
is there an "opening" in the seat bottom through which this belt(s) pass
sorry i just did not look for this when i saw these seats since i was anticipating using the gt3 seat
after messing with this for weeks your set up is exactly the one i came up with for my car so i was excited to see it can be done albeit hopefully in a 6gt3
Old 10-21-2009, 12:24 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

thank you for answering so quickly
yes he was referring to passing the anti-sub belt through the seat cushion
is there an "opening" in the seat bottom through which this belt(s) pass
sorry i just did not look for this when i saw these seats since i was anticipating using the gt3 seat
after messing with this for weeks your set up is exactly the one i came up with for my car so i was excited to see it can be done albeit hopefully in a 6gt3
There are two separate seat cushions (front and rear), and the belts pass in between them. I'm not sure if there was also a pre-cut opening in the shell, but I'm fairly certain that there was (I'm two time-zone's away from my car right now; otherwise I'd check).

One thing to be aware of is that these cushions are more firmly attached to the shell with velcro compared to the cushions in the GT3 seats. They are so firmly planted that I'd be afraid to tear them up prematurely if I tried to repeatedly hide the anti-sub strap and buckle by tucking away when not in use. So I plan to just leave them as-is when using the 3 pt. belts on the street.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

again thank you
one more(last) question
some would argue that a seat that reclines or bends forward like the gt2 seat is not as safe a track set up as a shell like the gt3 seat do you think this is so
i plan on making this my daily drive during the summer with maybe 20 de days thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I may...

Yes, some would argue that, and you are correct in wondering. There is always the chance that the mechanism that holds the seat back in place could fail in an impact. Although I am not aware of this in the seat you are refering to, it can and does happen in general. However, you also need to make compromises with a dual use car, and this is not a bad one, all things considered.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Also the seat was designed by Porsche and who are we to argue with Porsche engineers...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Safe is relative, everything is a tradeoff, and each person has to strike their own balance

The GT3 seat may have a greater seat bottom incline, putting less responsibility on the harnesses to prevent submarining.

In a fire, how much quicker can you exit the GT2 seats since the side bolsters are lower? 1 second? more? How much is that time worth?

What's the cost of comfort? The GT3 seats sit a little lower and might put you more in touch with what the tires and suspension are doing, making you a safer driver. I'm probably not accomplished enough to tell the difference.

Yes, the fact that these seats do fold forwards was a big factor in my decision. But in the grand scheme of things, the simple fact that I am now wearing a HANS makes the nuances of the GT2 vs. GT3 seat a secondary decision. And it should go without saying, but especially because I am not a racer - just a track junkie - my overall safety profile is dominated with what's inside my head before my butt ever touches those seats. If I ever needed to rely on them, it would be a result of having done something stupid.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Thank you all
So I need to get a little more technical. I am told that putting GT2 seats into a 6GT3 requires some modification of both the seat and the submarine bar. I understand the seat thing. But I do not understand what has to be done to the bar beneath the seat. Can somebody help me here.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Also the seat was designed by Porsche and who are we to argue with Porsche engineers...
LOL;

I argue with anything that doesn't make sense to me, and my senses are invariably pretty good regarding this stuff. Porsche is pretty good, but they are not perfect. Beyond that, they may not have been designing for the given parameters you may find yourself working within.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you all
So I need to get a little more technical. I am told that putting GT2 seats into a 6GT3 requires some modification of both the seat and the submarine bar. I understand the seat thing. But I do not understand what has to be done to the bar beneath the seat. Can somebody help me here.
Recall that the GT2 seats come with weight sensors for airbag deactivation. These had to be removed. Then additional mount points needed to be added to the bottom of the seat for the bar (IIRC, two) because the bar did not line up with the intended mount points. I would recommend that this be done by someone who really knows what they are doing. Failure of a new mount point for the anti-sub bar would make the whole configuration non-functional.

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Beyond that, they may not have been designing for the given parameters you may find yourself working within.
That applies to a whole lot more than just seats.

Quick Reply: GT2 Seats w GMG harness bar