Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Hamilton praised when Button is bashed???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Why is Hamilton praised when Button is bashed???

Two British drivers. One in a top car for 2 years straight, the other driver in a superior car for half a season. Both build up a big lead, but in the end Hamilton blew his chance in 2007 for beaching his car and stumbling in Brazil.

In 2008, again in Brazil when Hamilton needed to keep Vettel behind him to claim the WDC, he choked again and was passed by Sebastian, in a Toro Roso, not the better Red Bull of this year. Were it not for Glock, Lewis Hamilton would be a two time loser/choker in a far superior car. Obviously, Hamilton does not have the car under him this year, but you get the point.

So why is Button bashed and questioned beyond belief here on Rennlist? Especially when the season has not played out yet and mathmatically he is probably going to be the WDC.

Did not Fernando Alonso milk his lead in both his championship seasons? Button is nursing his as well.

Double standard? What is it about Button that turns everyone off? Please help me understand.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He's the Danika Patrick of F1. There, I've said it.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:17 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well most people are either ferrari or mclaren or redbull fans. A team like Brawn GP has no fans at the beginning of the season, so no real supporters. When your team loses because of inferior equipment, you always hate the other team. I think that is pretty much what has happened all this season. When your team has awesome equipment you stave off questions and say the equipment may be good, but the driver still has to win it. When it's the enemy it is a different story.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

IMO, with the public, Button does at times come off a little whiny...especially on the team radio. As far as with the media, Button lacks the protective pigmentation that causes some media-types to pull their punches...unfair to both drivers, if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 AM
KurtC
Instructor

I'm sure some people bash Button for the same reason you bash Hamilton, they don't like him.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"protective pigmentation"

thats a new one for me.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
protective pigmentation
A clear sign of an Intellectual Disability.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

I ain't wading into this one except to say that I like Button a lot. Same with Jeff Gordon.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets see.......a number of teams come up with, independently, the same idea for a rear diffuser. Some of those teams submit a formal request to use the diffuser, and some don't. Those that did "ask permission" were told . But the few that didn't ask, use it anyway. Those that used it were clearly at an advantage for first several races. Around race 6 or so, FIA decision handed down that diffuser is now legal and can be used. Those that had it: no penalty and big early season points lead. Those that didn't: now have to figure out how to design & incorporate a diffuser and play catchup. So when did Button lose his unbeatable edge?......

IMHO, FIA failed by not announcing to all teams simultaneously when a technological innovation/request is denied. If a request is approved, I don't have a problem with keeping that secret. But if something is dissapproved, they should make it known to all teams.

Old news....yes. Does it bug me....not so much anymore. Is 2009's WDC point chase for real...not really. Hopefully 2010 will be a more level playing field....
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, well said. My exact thoughts in the other thread.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Did the FIA make a ruling, or an amendment to the rule book prior to the season? No. The rule book is what governs and (perhaps unfortunately) it had a loophole.

Definitive action by the FIA making a clear ruling was what was required. Sadly that was not forthcoming.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think it was a BBC commentator that remarked that Brawn had gone to FIA in March? and alerted them to the loophole but the FIA pooh-poohed him so he kept the double diffuser on the car.
And now we've got a legal double diffuser that throw massive air disruption behind the car so passing gets to be a rare thing again. Not sure if there was that much passing in the 1st 6 races but I vaguely remembered there was a few on track passes.

Didn't Hamilton come into F1 with guns blazing and drove his heart out to the front of the grid.
He did have the MacLaren ride which probably helped.
Whereas Button has been in F1 for quite a while without making too much of a dent into the points scoring pie and now with a technically superior car, scores a pile of wins till the other cars catch up and nullify much of the technical advantage.
I'm guessing with Brawn at the helm, Button will be playing defensive to maintain his points lead to win.
Not too exciting watching someone race for 4th or 5th to get a few points.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Did the FIA make a ruling, or an amendment to the rule book prior to the season? No. The rule book is what governs and (perhaps unfortunately) it had a loophole.

Definitive action by the FIA making a clear ruling was what was required. Sadly that was not forthcoming.
If someone had figured out a legal loophole and took advantage of it, kudos to them. That's how innovation happens, and how rules get changed when necessary. Not saying they would or wouldn't have used the diffusers. But if the teams that did ask for permission had instead NOT asked, then the scenario would be very different. I think the process was flawed because what was initially denied permission to use, was later, mid-season, approved for use. I don't understand how they could find that would be good for the sport. Not to mention, that as I understand the engineering (and know that I'm more dumbass than engineer.....) the rear diffuser actually confounds the ability of cars to follow closely. I thought the intent of the 2009 front & rear wing changes was to make the cars able to stay closer together, and enhance the competition.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
If someone had figured out a legal loophole and took advantage of it, kudos to them. That's how innovation happens, and how rules get changed when necessary. Not saying they would or wouldn't have used the diffusers. But if the teams that did ask for permission had instead NOT asked, then the scenario would be very different. I think the process was flawed because what was initially denied permission to use, was later, mid-season, approved for use. I don't understand how they could find that would be good for the sport. Not to mention, that as I understand the engineering (and know that I'm more dumbass than engineer.....) the rear diffuser actually confounds the ability of cars to follow closely. I thought the intent of the 2009 front & rear wing changes was to make the cars able to stay closer together, and enhance the competition.
+1

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 10-15-2009, 10:48 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, but unless the FIA makes an official ruling or amendment to the rulebook, the loophole remains. That is the issue. The FIA was too busy deciding what type of caviar to serve at lunch in the next meeting to take clear action.

Quick Reply: Why is Hamilton praised when Button is bashed???