Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CFRC Test and Tune / Time Attack, Orlando 1.5 mile new layout - November 15th 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
keen
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CFRC Test and Tune / Time Attack, Orlando 1.5 mile new layout - November 15th 2009

Orlando's only local track, first road course event on the new 1.5 mile layout. Use it as a Test and Tune or get a timer and participate in the Time Attack.

Anyone coming needs to -PREREGISTER- and -PREPAY-

Pete is threatening to cancel/postpone the event there are less than 40 people prepaid.....

http://cfracingcomplex.com/2009/09/1...rse-event.html

preregister here: http://cfracingcomplex.com/informati...e-registration

Rules and Event FAQ:
http://cfracingcomplex.com/road-cour...d-course-rules

There aren't any official pictures out yet, but here's a conceptual drawing pre-construction:

And post construction:

I've got an in-car (sorry, it's a MINI...) from the old layout, and pre-dragstrip

We should be there with our '86 944!

..david (no ties to the track or the event, just wanted to get the word out. it's important to have a good turn out since Pete has invested so much $$ for us.... )
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
dew-e
Advanced

I did what was advertised as a "private-event" at this location before the track layout change. It is not exactly the safest run events. They don't require a drivers meeting, and people just come and go as they please with no track rules being discussed. If you are familiar with normal DE type events, you might find a lot of things done at this event as scary.

It is a road course, that basically runs like an open track night at a drag strip.

No requirement for instructors with novices, very little use of flags, no black flag station.

It is a much better kart facility than road racing facility. No amount of track improvements will make it better until they take a step back and fundamentally change how they are running the road course events.

Not to mention that they let all participants run timing, so this is a timed event, and I'm sure most people going to this kind of event are clueless about how it will affect their insurance.

I had a lot of fun at the one event that I went to, but I also had several follow up conversations with the organizers about how it was run, and some of the safety issues. I've never talked to Pete about the events that he is running so I have no idea what changes are being implemented for this event. They should really talk to SCCA about paying some experienced corner workers though.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

+1

I only went to the event because it was supposed to be invite-only to experienced drivers. Showed up and there were a bunch of people with no experience. there were also some extremely close calls with the wall. Until they understand the meaning of the words "runoff" and "safety" I probably won't be back there again.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Originally Posted by dew-e
It is a much better kart facility than road racing facility. No amount of track improvements will make it better until they take a step back and fundamentally change how they are running the road course events.
+1k
Old 10-14-2009, 07:31 PM
keen
4th Gear

thanks for the feedback guys. I don't disagree. It's much more of a "provide your own safety and rules" sort of place, not a well organized DE.

I -WILL- pass on your comments to Pete (the track owner), so keep them coming.

There's nothing stopping a more experienced DE group from running events here and bringing their own standards, of course.....there's probably some safety issues to be addressed, but I think Pete is pretty willing to change once someone points things out.

anyway, thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Bottom line is Pete is a business man*, not a driver, and I respect that. He has had plenty of people around him helping out at the track trying to make the facility safer and more attractive to the people that would really like to see a proper road course. I was an active suporter in the earliest stages of this facility, now the whole promising something then threatening to close it down if people don't show up is getting played out.

Every place needs to start somewhere and like many of us I hope Pete gets serious and builds the kind of facility we all would like to see and would be excited about.

*I'm not a business man, I just play one on the internet.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

I haven't been a supporter since the beginning. I have pretty much always thought it was a dumb idea. I gave it a few chances though. When I went for the first titan demo day of the track, they had some private karts there and I suggested they stop the road course nonsense and make it a karting track. They tried to do both and added an 1/8th mile dragstrip now as well... Honestly he is trying to hit too many markets and by not focusing on any, having major flaws in all of them. I've been out to the open "quick" track tourings, multiple karting days (on both variations of the circuit), and the private road course day with dew-e. Have not been impressed (frankly, scared at the private day) any of the times.

Quick Reply: CFRC Test and Tune / Time Attack, Orlando 1.5 mile new layout - November 15th 2009