Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default street driving school

Does anyone else in the country have courses like this?
http://www.driveincontrol.com/
They offer up to a 10% discount on your car insurance and are authorized/licensed by the state.

I sent my daughter right after she got her license (both the summer and winter courses) and this Monday I'm bringing my son. Rather than sit for 5 hours and wait, my wife signed me up too (hey, 10% discount on my insurance couldn't hurt)

Still debating whether or not to tell the instructors that my 16 year son old might 'throw the car around a bit'....or just let them figure it out.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Does anyone else in the country have courses like this?
http://www.driveincontrol.com/
They offer up to a 10% discount on your car insurance and are authorized/licensed by the state.

I sent my daughter right after she got her license (both the summer and winter courses) and this Monday I'm bringing my son. Rather than sit for 5 hours and wait, my wife signed me up too (hey, 10% discount on my insurance couldn't hurt)

Still debating whether or not to tell the instructors that my 16 year son old might 'throw the car around a bit'....or just let them figure it out.
I need a 10% discount on my insurance, so I am going to sign up.
Plus the North Andover location is only 10 min. from my house.

As far as CJ, I would let the instructors figure out by themselves that he is a........ natural.......
Old 10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW CCA has StreetSurvival, which is a one-day car control clinic geared toward teens but usually open to all, co-sponsored by TireRack I think. Offered by club chapters around the country at various times. There are others as well. - Not sure about insurance discounts which probably depend on the state and ins co.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mid Ohio School has a great program for teens, along with their other courses.

As mentioned, there is Street Survival. Started by BMW CCA but many other clubs now offer it. Facilities vary greatly and in most cases wet skid pad is not very good, but I ran one at a proper facility with a dedicated wet pad, so you have to check and see what they really offer. Geared to teens but most groups will allow some adults.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no personal experience of these but here are some teen/new driver driving courses from reputable schools:

Evolution http://www.evoschool.com/index.php?page=classes

Skippy http://skipbarber.com/driving_school...ew_driver.aspx

Ask your insurance agent if attendance would lower insurance rates.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:42 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see Massachusetts set this up. When I lived there, I gave up driving and was too scared to get back behind that wheel for 7 years...

However, in North Carolina there are several programs for teenagers. I believe one of them is set up with Richard Petty's group of guys. At least I think it's Petty's organization. Folks like Geoffrey Moeller and Ronn Hale were there from the beginning.

Also, I don't know if Road Atlanta has it anymore - but Audi was there giving special DEs for teenagers -- really teaching them car control.

Hope that helps. Maybe a little bit. Don't know where your located....
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

There are a bunch out there. Tire Rack even sponsors one. SCCA has one. PCA regions have done them. There is also www.skidschool.us in NH.

The In Control people are pretty cool. I know a bunch of them and they are all racers. A few hold a bunch of track records.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Son had a fun time throwing a Toyota Camry around. His first time in a slalom and he liked it. Treated every cone like an apex cone!

The instructors were great and he now wants to try Autocross with SCCA (unable to participate with PCA since he's only 16...still don't quite understand that rule)

Never been to an AX at Devens...need to sign him up with SCCA.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:40 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Did PCA change the autocross minimum age a couple of years back to 16 with a license? Or was that just a discussion about it? Maybe it was Road Rallys they brought the minimum age down...

P.S. Unlike DEs that states "no one under age 18) Autocross is a different set of rules. No mention of age, just valid driver's license:

2) Event Waivers: Make sure that you have a supply of current PCA insurance waivers and
release forms (four Types;
A) Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement
(Adults);
B) Junior Participation Program Minor's Assumption of Risk Acknowledgement;
C) Waiver and Release of Liability and Indemnity Agreement for Minors Observers only;
D) Waiver and Release of Liability and Indemnity Agreement for Minors in Restricted
Areas, Driving or Riding.
All persons in attendance, including officials, must sign a waiver. Color-coded wristbands should
be used to identify people that have signed the waiver, these wristbands should be checked on
the second day: no wristband = no waiver = no admission. If waivers are not provided, the event
is not covered by PCA insurance and must not proceed. Note: It is mandatory that event
waivers be kept in the Region files for four (4) years and one (1) month.

3) Licensing: All drivers must have a valid state or provincial driver's license. It is
recommended that entrants show their licenses when they sign in on the day of the event.

Have fun! You can double check with Pete Tremper - but now I do remember an email from him once - saying 16 for Autocross and 18 for DEs...
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks.
Yes, I meant 18 for DE's...I would have no problem putting him in a car at 16 in Green group...at 15 he drove a Formula BMW at Miller out in Utah and survived.

Not thrilled with AX, but if he wants to try it, I'll let him.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks.
Yes, I meant 18 for DE's...I would have no problem putting him in a car at 16 in Green group...at 15 he drove a Formula BMW at Miller out in Utah and survived.

Not thrilled with AX, but if he wants to try it, I'll let him.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Well - if you want to turn to the Dark Side - you can bring him -- as long as he is a good kid! Our insurance policy allows 16 and up with valid driver's license.

NASA's insurance has allowed 15 year olds... you might want to check them out.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There are a bunch out there. Tire Rack even sponsors one. SCCA has one. PCA regions have done them. There is also www.skidschool.us in NH.

The In Control people are pretty cool. I know a bunch of them and they are all racers. A few hold a bunch of track records.
I work for Skid School and we put on a good school. In Control actually runs our exact program. Both schools are good, but the main thing is to get into one of them as they DO save lives. No doubt about it!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Well - if you want to turn to the Dark Side - you can bring him -- as long as he is a good kid! Our insurance policy allows 16 and up with valid driver's license.

NASA's insurance has allowed 15 year olds... you might want to check them out.
We have a 14 year old racing in 944 spec with us right now. Started driving at 13. He did some extra hurdles to jump through, but it is possible.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/art2/art2p1.php

Quick Reply: street driving school