Sponsored by:

Brand new ZR-1 meets a wall during NASA race at WGI Oct. 4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
I don't know if they have changed, but the last time I saw a NASA school, it was a glorified DE. There were some side by side drills, but not any real racing. Also, they did not even require safety equipment other than what was needed for DE. I saw people do their comp school in rental cars (like Hertz).
nowadays at a NASA comp school, you must have a competition ready vehicle (kill switch, cage, window nets, dated belts, driver gear, etc etc) plus your physical papers and all that. they do drills, and practice starts, and practice races. seasoned instructors/racers circulate with the students, 'stressing' them and putting them in tough racing situations. typically, this happens on a friday, and if the student(s) pass, then they are allowed to race on the sat and sun (i believe that they must start in the back on sat's race, no matter where they qualify). they then remain rookies for several races (5 comes to mind) and they they are on a 'full' license.

todd
ReidSpeed
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Requirements to "pass" a Skippy race skool:

Your check must clear the bank.

You must have sufficient pulmonary humidity & capacity to fog a mirror....once.

There may be more, but recent experience with "graduates" doesn't seem to confirm that.

Oh my. Did I just say that ? It's just my opinion, after all........
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nah....it's all about shot placement...
Legend says that this man is a trained professional, I'm going with it
Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Is there a in car video of this...I missed it somewhere. I am glad the driver is fine, you can rebuild the car but the human body is fragile. Well I hate this happened but I can not say antyhing other than he is racing and I am not. Back to my DE's.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I found the video elsewhere because the original link was changed. The one I watched was from a stock car...wow is that neat!!! I want one!!! It looked very well driven also.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Is there a in car video of this...I missed it somewhere. I am glad the driver is fine, you can rebuild the car but the human body is fragile. Well I hate this happened but I can not say antyhing other than he is racing and I am not. Back to my DE's.
Check post #2, you might find your answer there......
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

http://racing.itfais.com/blog/?page_id=3&mid=58

I want a "stock" car!!!! I don't know the driver but I like his style

How much are these things? Where do I get one?????
Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
http://racing.itfais.com/blog/?page_id=3&mid=58

I want a "stock" car!!!! I don't know the driver but I like his style

How much are these things? Where do I get one?????
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Everybody got jokes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hey darren! $30k to $40k buys a 'nice', slightly obsoleted car; they used to have their own heat to run in with nasa ma some years ago; they ran 1 hr races, and i remember the action was hot at the front! (there was one stock car that was always either winning or contending for the win; it had a huge 'Marines' logo on the side). at summit, when the track was nice and dry, and the weather was cool, they were turning 1:16s and 1:17s. that's a fast (and safe) car to be turning those laptimes for those $$$. they are very tough, and parts are inexpensive to replace. tons of shops know how to rebuild the motors and transmissions, and they can last a long time if taken care of between rebuilds. i've often thought of trying to pick up one on the cheap (the only thing that i don't like is the $$$ for consumables -- you need to buy lots of tires, and brake pads, and gas when running one!).

todd
ReidSpeed
Old 10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Nice!!!! Screw Porsches lets all get those!!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

Originally Posted by d15b7
nowadays at a NASA comp school, you must have a competition ready vehicle (kill switch, cage, window nets, dated belts, driver gear, etc etc) plus your physical papers and all that. they do drills, and practice starts, and practice races. seasoned instructors/racers circulate with the students, 'stressing' them and putting them in tough racing situations. typically, this happens on a friday, and if the student(s) pass, then they are allowed to race on the sat and sun (i believe that they must start in the back on sat's race, no matter where they qualify). they then remain rookies for several races (5 comes to mind) and they they are on a 'full' license.

todd
ReidSpeed
Newly licensed NASA drivers are on a provisional license for the first four races but are in rookie status for 8 races. While they are on a provisional, each race they run the must have thier provisional book signed off by the Race Director or Licensing Director.

Steve Marlow
Licensing Director
NASA AZ Region

Quick Reply: Brand new ZR-1 meets a wall during NASA race at WGI Oct. 4