Sponsored by:

My New Open Trailer - I'm so excited!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
That is a possibility. But, being a designer and owner of a machine shop means that my father and I would most likely build it ourselves for less money then they could sell it (& ship it).
That would be nice. In that case I'd consider checking out one of the trailex ones at your next event and taking some measurements. I did a steel one a few years back and "created my own". While it was functional, I sure wish I had piggy-backed an existing design instead of going from scratch.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advise. We were thinking of 3 sets of tires... Gas, jack, ramp extensions, small lockable area for tools while keeping the CG low. Don't foget it has to look Cool all at the sametime.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How much fun to design your own with your Father. You two are both very lucky...

A major consideration should be the height of the tire rack which should be dependent on the height of your tow vehicle. notice the difference in heights between Choocha's and PJS996gt3's. If you're considering a box or boxes under the tire rack, you should weigh the tongue weight with the car in various positions to assure an acceptable balance. Maybe throw tires and some weights up front to substitute for the loaded rack and boxes.

Oh and about an Eazy Up... The 10x 10 models fits right over the trailer offering a great place to set up chairs, coolers, etc and easy to tie them down to the trailer...

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 11-18-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

We are towing with a Cayenne S and the height of the rack has been the biggest discussion between dad and I thus far. The 996 will allow it to be fairly low and still leave room in front of the car for storage. At this point I have borrowed a scale to check the tongue loading, calculated the material (for rack) weight, added the tires, jack and several other random items to get a rough car position. Not sure if the gas storage should be under the tires or up front (similar to other off shelf trailer rack setups).
Or place a storage box inside the "V" up front.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You could mount gas can storage along the wheels. IE outside the bed, but next to the fenders. There should be eough space. Then you can try to place them front to back at the right spot for weight.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I never considered the area along the tires.... Very good suggestion. Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 AM
jackielyn12
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had the urge feeling when I purchased one for myself a couple of months ago! I am really excited and it's pretty good having it! I think yours is also amazing, the images show it!

dump trailer

Last edited by jackielyn12; 10-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: My New Open Trailer - I'm so excited!