Sponsored by:

Want to get into racing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it makes sense for me to start with kart racing. Although cars appeal more to me, the financial aspects really make karts incredibly appealing. Not to mention, the few times I've raced karts (just a few times when I was younger) I've absolutely loved it!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I think it makes sense for me to start with kart racing. Although cars appeal more to me, the financial aspects really make karts incredibly appealing. Not to mention, the few times I've raced karts (just a few times when I was younger) I've absolutely loved it!
Smart move. When I first started doing DE, I went to karts to improve my driving, then went into auto racing. It was a tremendous help getting me up to speed. Karting helps you learn car control and the limit much faster than you otherwise would in car.

______
Jason
Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Buy a kart. Spend a year in karts, but spend it in the more highly competitive venues. If you're moderately successful there, you can come back to cars and you'll run up front. Race-craft, car set-up, etc etc all transfer.

You might find that you don't really like it that much (or that you suck), and you'll save a bundle doing that in karts. If you are good, you'll only make yourself better in karts. Stay away from full-size cars for as long as possible.

Plus, car guys are *******. Kart guys are kool.
If you want to be a "real" racer you need to start in Karts.Important that you start with less powerfull class( I am not in the US so unsure of class set ups-- but a 100cc Kart is plenty fast enough-- it will still accelerate faster than your turbo!). Even if your aim is cars-- adapting to car is easy compared to all the other issues that have to be learnt.
You need to find somebody close whose advice you can trust about Karts that can patiently teach you about everything from maitainence to set up( This changes all the time during the day)-to driving plus racing skills.
All of these thing translate to cars and you can learn much quicker and cheaper in Karts. If you say where do I want to be in 12/24/36 months -- you will be far closer to end goal for the time in Karts.It will also get you into what I call a motor racing "culture" ie all the things you HAVE to know.

Last edited by Red9; 09-27-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche

I suppose I'm looking for some advice as to where I should go from here? I want a dedicated track car that I can learn in and possibly race, but at the same time I've seen people's spouses/kids driving fully-built race cars awfully in the Green group and still going "fast." Basically, I want to drive something that will force me to drive well and learn from my mistakes, yet still be safe and suitably prepared for track-only use.

My take.. 944 spec car. Very little hp, but this will force you to drive with momentum. Buy complete or nearly complete car. Run it in DE for bit then go club racing for less than a Rotax cart. You can race a 944-spec in PCA or NASA with zero changes. This year we had 34 cars competing for National championship and the winner was in fact Charlie B. How is that for good omens.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Do a few years of DE and then consider Spec Miata, 944 Cup/GTS1. get a car that forces you drive efficiently. horsepower does cover too many sins. i had to undo some bad habits when i switched to racing my 944 from the 964 cup.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 PM
dp35
Pro

You're saying all the right things in terms of wanting a car that will force you to learn to drive correctly. But the "prefer a Porsche" part really narrows your choices. That might not be a popular statement here, but its true. I prefer Porsche products too, except when I want to race on a budget.

I was in a similar situation as you, and I chose to rent a Spec Miata for the SCCA 3 day school and then to race. So far so good (you might enjoy my thread about my first race, search for it). I wanted to race for the same reasons you mentioned, plus one other - competition. Spec Miata offers the most competition of any choice you have.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Back up here.........you ARE 19? If so, then hell yes get a good footing in karts and then into formula cars. Wish I had the bucks 25+ years ago to not mess around with production cars and doing everything myself. Met a lot of great guys along the way who were more than happy to clue me in, but that was NO substitute for proper coaching in a good formula car feeder series.

Everything else from then on, depending on budget, will be simple to pick up.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:31 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
Back up here.........you ARE 19? If so, then hell yes get a good footing in karts and then into formula cars. Wish I had the bucks 25+ years ago to not mess around with production cars and doing everything myself. Met a lot of great guys along the way who were more than happy to clue me in, but that was NO substitute for proper coaching in a good formula car feeder series.

Everything else from then on, depending on budget, will be simple to pick up.
Hah, yes, I'm a young'un. I'm pretty much set on karting for several reasons, just need to figure out how I want to pursue it.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

B U Y A D O N E C AR do not build your own,get coaching
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yet another opinion

karts are great, but very dangerous in comparison to having a full cage around you and a Hans device. Take that for what it is worth. My opinion if you want to get really good really quick would be run a spec miata. The cars are cheap enough that you can race one all year with a relatively small budget (in racing terms) and go anywhere in the country to race and have 40-50 "identical" cars on the track at once.

Afraid of contact, yet another reason to learn to drive well as there is little to no carnage at the front of the pack, mainly in the back of the pack. Best way to avoid the back of the pack is to do alot of DE in the car get a trackmate and hire a coach for a few events that knows momentum/the tracks/ and how to use the traqmate all that will still be cheaper than a skippy school and you will learn more with a good coach.

Brian
(a totally biased driving coach that does Spec Miata)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis

+ Juan

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-29-2009, 11:52 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dblapex
yet another opinion

karts are great, but very dangerous in comparison to having a full cage around you and a Hans device. Take that for what it is worth. My opinion if you want to get really good really quick would be run a spec miata. The cars are cheap enough that you can race one all year with a relatively small budget (in racing terms) and go anywhere in the country to race and have 40-50 "identical" cars on the track at once.
I would truly enjoy driving SM, but the logistics of the next few years make owning/storing a car + car trailer far more difficult than a kart + kart trailer. I don't think either will give me bad experience.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

No matter what you guys say about SM, when I go from mine to the sports racer...........well, being bored doesn't even come close to describing the (lack of) thrill. No matter what the competition. A purpose built race car takes you somewhere no production car can even sniff. (Just throwing it out there. I know I'm weird, but I've been into this stuff driving/prepping/building/hanging around for 30 years now.)
Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

1+ on Karts... best place to learn quickly. and cheaply, BUT, you pay with your body... not too unlike motocross.

from there go to SRF, way less cheating than SM, and its a national class where you can be seen.

Win a national (runoff) and you can turn pro.

GL!

Quick Reply: Want to get into racing!