Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Solid Rotors for 997S (ie: 996GT3 using Cayenne rotors)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 11:30 AM
obsessedone
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Pad swapping is actually easier as there's an extra millimeter of space on each side of the caliper..."

"... the total offset moves in towards the car by 2mm"

Great write up. Little uncertain about the 2mm difference - does the rotor appear centered or does it offset toward inside of hub as second comment sounds (which would seem to put the extra space for pads on just the inside)?

Will be very interested in how durable you find the rotors to be. I get 18-20 tracks hours (10 or 12 days depending on session times) on the OEM disks before the cracks require replacement.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 10-05-2009 | 03:20 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron and Andrew -- you are a wealth of knowledge!
Thanks for the research guys!
Will these work on a nonS 997 as well?
Old 10-05-2009 | 05:52 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ron, I'm not sure of the part #'s...I bought them from Suncoast and they are the base Cayenne front rotors. There is no sign of any pad build-up at all. I'll try to snap a pic tonight or tomorrow.....I've actually gotten kinda used to them

Regarding the other ?'s:

" sorry, but if the heat up faster and stay hotter... how are they performing the same??"

They heat-up a little faster so they actually feel a bit more grippy at the beginning of a session. The staying hotter longer part is just what I've noticed while taking temps in the paddocks between sessions.....they hold heat longer. My lap times are no different then with the stock rotors (low to mid 2:30's depending on traffic) and the feel is the same as well.

"Little uncertain about the 2mm difference - does the rotor appear centered or does it offset toward inside of hub as second comment sounds (which would seem to put the extra space for pads on just the inside)?"

Good Question.....they appear centered but I'm not really sure. My pagid yellows only had one DE day before I installed them with the new rotors and they fit fine on both sides (they are very thick when new). Unfortunately I don't have a solid answer for this.

"Will these work on a nonS 997 as well?"

To the best of my knowledge, they will not work with a non-S due to the use of different rotors and calipers.
Old 10-06-2009 | 12:19 AM
obsessedone
Racer

"Little uncertain about the 2mm difference - does the rotor appear centered or does it offset toward inside of hub as second comment sounds (which would seem to put the extra space for pads on just the inside)?"

Good Question.....they appear centered but I'm not really sure. My pagid yellows only had one DE day before I installed them with the new rotors and they fit fine on both sides (they are very thick when new). Unfortunately I don't have a solid answer for this.

Googled metric conversion to learn 2mm is less than 8/100" - no wonder it is hard to tell!

Will be most interested to hear how these hold up to track usage - sounds very encouraging!

Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2009 | 03:24 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the delay.....had to go out of town for a bit. Here are pics.......
Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:01 PM
obsessedone
Racer

Andrew, could you provide an update on how these rotors worked out for you? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:22 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by obsessedone
Andrew, could you provide an update on how these rotors worked out for you? Thanks.
I used them for 4 or 5 events and they started to give a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal under deceleration. I'm not really sure if they warped or had pad transfer/run-off/hot spot issues (as I switch between stocks and pagids). Regardless, I gave it a few hundred miles and it didn't go away.

In any event, I switched to GiroDisc Slotted rotors a few months ago and have been happy them overall. Of note, they are a bit sensitive to pad transfer if you switch between stock pads and track pads, however, the vibration goes away after a couple hunderd miles after switching back to street pads.

Hope that helps....
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:54 PM
obsessedone
Racer

Originally Posted by adfsouth
I used them for 4 or 5 events and they started to give a pretty bad vibration in the steering wheel and brake pedal under deceleration. I'm not really sure if they warped or had pad transfer/run-off/hot spot issues (as I switch between stocks and pagids). Regardless, I gave it a few hundred miles and it didn't go away.

In any event, I switched to GiroDisc Slotted rotors a few months ago and have been happy them overall. Of note, they are a bit sensitive to pad transfer if you switch between stock pads and track pads, however, the vibration goes away after a couple hunderd miles after switching back to street pads.

Hope that helps....
Great info, thanks. I am looking at Girodiscs as a possibility for the front. Have you or friends had them long enough to know how many track days to expect out of a set? I get 12-14 days on stock fronts (+some street driving) before the cracks are pushing to the outer rim. I am interested in how much better the life of the Girodisc rotor may be for track use.

Quick Reply: OEM Solid Rotors for 997S (ie: 996GT3 using Cayenne rotors)?