Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Sway Bars (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/525898-sway-bars.html)

Jay Gratton 09-24-2009 08:48 AM

Sway Bars

I am also looking for sway bars for my '85 911. I am looking for a through body front and rear (Tarret, Smart, etc). Contact me and let me know what you have. Other suggestions?

earlyapex 09-25-2009 03:34 AM

I've got Smart Racing Products sway bars on my car. The only down side is that the rears hang pretty low. This was an issue at Laguna Seca where I consistently scraped them on the track on a couple of corners. The up side is they of high quality and you can change bars.

Jay Gratton 09-25-2009 09:14 AM

Thanks! I have heard good things about their bars.

earlyapex 09-25-2009 10:04 AM

Make sure you reinforce or replace the stock rear sway bar mounts. They will eventually break.

Jay Gratton 09-25-2009 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by earlyapex (Post 6932497)
Make sure you reinforce or replace the stock rear sway bar mounts. They will eventually break.

No doubt! I already had that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

Gary R. 09-25-2009 03:58 PM

Yep, Smart Racing sways are great. Use the Wevo reinforcements if possible but be sure the bar clears your transmission mount. I had to relocate from the original angle a few degrees to get clearance.. If the stock mounts turn out to work you can reinforce them (box them in welding heavier steel to the frame) and save a few bucks.. works fine, that's how it was done before Wevo..

racer 09-25-2009 06:35 PM

While I've always admired the smart/tarret bars for their machining beauty and adjustment ease, if however you're a "set it and forget it" type, the cheaper weltmeisters will work fine too, imho.

What size bars are you looking for?

dbryant61 09-25-2009 06:46 PM

racer,

Current wisdom has it that t-bar cars of the SC/Carrera variety need much larger bars than the /Weltmeister. I have 22mm Weltmeisters front and rear. I think 31F/27R is the preferred setup.

If you want to go all-out, contact Brad Roberts. He makes a blade bar setup with in-cockpit adjusters. Very slick.

Chris M. 09-25-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by dbryant61 (Post 6934176)
racer,

Current wisdom has it that t-bar cars of the SC/Carrera variety need much larger bars than the /Weltmeister. I have 22mm Weltmeisters front and rear. I think 31F/27R is the preferred setup..

I have the Weltmeisters as well and am wondering, if you don't already have your 22mm bars at the tightest setting, what does going to larger bars do for you? Is a larger bar at a soft setting not the same as a smaller bar at a tight setting?

dbryant61 09-26-2009 02:44 PM

Chris,

Even with the 23/31 t-bar setup, we would get a lot of body roll without any swaybars. With 22s full-tight front and 3/4 tight rear, i can still feel quite a bit of roll and slow transitions (L-R & R-L). I am guessing that with thicker sways, you would futher-limit body roll, lessening camber loss through turns. The down-side is that sway bars steal traction from the outside tire and add it to the inside tire.

I talked with Brad about this at length at the VIR race in June. Apparently there are much thicker t-bars available also. 26mm front can fit in the A-arms, not sure about rear. Can you say "go-cart"?

Sean F 09-26-2009 03:41 PM

we run a big front and rear bar

Astroman 09-26-2009 04:41 PM

I too have the Smart Racing "anti-roll" bars, sizes 31 and 27. However, they're sold as "No. 31" and "No. 27"... not 31mm and 27mm. They're huge bars but I wonder if they're not measured in millimeters... Plus they're hollow.

Is a No. 31 bar 31 millimeters??

EDIT: I answered my own question... The SRP catalog says a No. 31 bar is 1.25 inches which equals 31.7 millimeters. Damn that's big.

Jay Gratton 09-26-2009 07:50 PM

Thanks guys, all good stuff. I need to figure out what Mark (builder) thinks and I will then see what you all think.

Chris M. 09-26-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by dbryant61 (Post 6935646)
Chris,

Even with the 23/31 t-bar setup, we would get a lot of body roll without any swaybars. With 22s full-tight front and 3/4 tight rear, i can still feel quite a bit of roll and slow transitions (L-R & R-L). I am guessing that with thicker sways, you would futher-limit body roll, lessening camber loss through turns. The down-side is that sway bars steal traction from the outside tire and add it to the inside tire.

I talked with Brad about this at length at the VIR race in June. Apparently there are much thicker t-bars available also. 26mm front can fit in the A-arms, not sure about rear. Can you say "go-cart"?

What I'm saying is that I already have my 22mm front bar at full soft to limit understeer, along with my rear at 3/4 tight, so what good is going to a larger front going to do me? If I can't even tighten my 22mm bar, why would I be able to take advantage of a larger bar?

Gary R. 09-26-2009 08:51 PM

Your front bar is full soft and rear set almost full stiff? On a 911?