Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Montoya become a contender?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Because I can't get behind the personality he is?

I don't know... I never liked Tony Stewart's on camera personality either, when he was with Gibbs, but have warmed to who he is becoming as a team owner.

I've just never cared for the "on screen" personality that Montoya appears to be. And honestly, Until this year, he hasn't been that much of a contendor.

This year he is stronger, sure...Doesn't make me like him any more, or less.

Mike
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he has made great strides and is a contender, but I don't think he will win this year. As far as he has come, I do wonder if his personality is suited to NASCAR. This seems to be the type of racing where biding your time, waiting for adjustments to be made to the car, and not getting too ticked at all the bumping and banging pays off. Not sure if that's JPM's strong suit.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

he is becoming more calm which is suiting him better. Used to be he crashed or won but now I think he is points racing too much. You can't beat Martin or Johnson without winning. I pray Mark Martin wins it all this year. He deserves it more than any driver in the field. The best season he has had in the past 15 years and I would hate to see him lose it to a guy like JJ. Can't stand his snobby punk ***.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Yes, Martin winning would be great!! I agree JJ needs to buy a personality, reminds me of the vanilla, corporate, PC type, like Jeff Gordon. Great drivers for sure, but I prefer the ole-school types. Mark Martin is gentlemen, and he makes you want to see him win, and ride off into the sunset
Old 09-29-2009, 02:27 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgomez
He s the real deal (as it was in F1). He has a good chance of winning the Cup, and will pick the points rather than a win.
How can you not endorse / support the better driver...
+2

JPM has adjusted , watching him this year , i can see he is getting comfortable with the car /racing , he will be a force in NASCAR for sure ...

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
I think he has made great strides and is a contender, but I don't think he will win this year. As far as he has come, I do wonder if his personality is suited to NASCAR. This seems to be the type of racing where biding your time, waiting for adjustments to be made to the car, and not getting too ticked at all the bumping and banging pays off. Not sure if that's JPM's strong suit.
He has adjusted a lot and i agree i don't think he will win this year , but .... a big but , he may just pull it off , if he get' s a win in the next 2 races . Also his team was never really this strong before and they are still a bit weak on strategy and pitstops, he loses positions on every pit stop and their strategy sucks , as Montoya has to drive his **** back to the front everytime...

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
he is becoming more calm which is suiting him better. Used to be he crashed or won but now I think he is points racing too much. You can't beat Martin or Johnson without winning. I pray Mark Martin wins it all this year. He deserves it more than any driver in the field. The best season he has had in the past 15 years and I would hate to see him lose it to a guy like JJ. Can't stand his snobby punk ***.
Agree if JPM can't win it , i would root for Martin ....
Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always been a JPM fan -- even way back when he was a rookie in Chump Car

Then the F1 attitude hit -- I still like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2WvQTeGAEU

Last edited by chris walrod; 09-29-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He done learned the NASCAR ways on track - he's quite good.

Quick Reply: Has Montoya become a contender?