DAS roll bar - to pad or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CWay27
I understand your point but if I take you word for word then we should pad all bars and not just top hoop. Harness bar is also in the way and so is cross bar etc. I understand fully that a body can move around in the case of a high speed impact and also the seat can be ripped from it's base but like I said, if your head goes in contact with the rollbar hoop behind because your body either flew back there or your seat ripped off it's base, hitting the bar with your head will be the least of your concerns.
Indeed;

Taken litterally, it does not make sense. Since neither of us is female, I would have thought that to be obvious. My point was that the prudent bet was somewhere in between everything and nothing.

Taken from another angle, you would not feel so smart - if at that point you still had the facility for thought - if the difference between splitting your head or your seat on a tube could have been the absorption of energy that padding might have provided. I would pad the main hoop above the belt bar. I would not laugh at anyone if they also padded the belt bar, particularly if they had a non FIA and/or non back-braced seat, EXTRA particularly if the did not have side brackets or sliders that bolted DIRECTLY to the floor.

JScott and AlanJ are very wise.

Quick Reply: DAS roll bar - to pad or not?