Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We're faster on the straights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009 | 08:48 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Nobody likes clueless a@#hole drivers like the one ahead of you but... it seems you let your ego trump reason.

Pull into the pits - ask for a 'stretch' and go right back out. This would probably put 20 secs. between you and him. Not likely to be a problem again in a 20 min session that is probably half over by now.

The problem here, IMO, was the instructor. The CI should have a come to jesus talk with him.
Old 09-14-2009 | 09:24 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by early_grayce
+1
It's a common problem in our region, with a large number of GT3s in the Green/Yellow/White groups, who are indeed faster in the straights but often dangerously slow in the turns. It seems all they're there for is to floor it on the straights. Pretty lame...
It gets better Rob. Blue is better. I enjoyed Black most of all.
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catchacab
This weekend, I ran with another PCA region at a track I never drove before. I had asked to have an instructor, but did not recieve one. The run group I was running with had both instructed and uninstructed students. I did get a ride from Rick B. prior to my first run session. I exceeded my objectives for the weekend. Objective 1: Learn the track, Objective exceeded. I taught myself the track, but I did have help thanks to the ride from Rick, and a few friends that posted or emailed me videos Glen, Graham, Steve and George, and a few guys at the track who talked to me about the line. Thank you John R., Iceben, Pete T., Joe D. and James F. 2. Be safe, came home without incident.

I was driving my 993 not the 944 in the avitar. The entire weekend there was a 996 GT3 in our group with an instructor on board, that was not very good at giving pass. My next to last run, I passed some cars eventually driving behind a friend I made driving a 997S on street tires. Immediately in front of him the GT3. For two laps the 997S's nose was right up the *** of the GT3, but no pass signals. Frustrated, he felt that I should have a try at the GT3 and he let me pass. I filled his mirrors with my car by staying right behind him for a lap. No pass signal. I decided I would try a different technique. Because of the speed we were going I was able to drive off line, so when the GT3 would turn in, he would see my car coming or his instructor would see me at their door. I did this at all turns with the exception of turn 5. Two laps still no pass. Even with a flagger showing him the passing flag each lap. Finally, my third lap behind him, I got a pass just before the last corner. Took it, and then the checkered flag came out.

After the session I went up to the GT3 to talk with the instructor about the lack of passing signals not only for me but for the rest to the group. When I asked him, why he wasn't telling his student to give a pass, he replied "Because we're faster on the straights." Ugh.

Mind telling us what track this was?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:07 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Instructor fail.

No fault of the student or car if there is an instructor in the right seat. My take woud have to quietly discuss one on one with the instructor and if no positive result head over to the CI and let him/her crack heads. Going postal on track only puts you in a bad light.

BTW "We are faster on the straights" does not count as positive.
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:27 AM
catchacab
Instructor

I do not blame the student. The instructor should have told the student to let myself and other cars to pass. This instructor needs additional education. The line that the instructor was teaching the student was also questionable.

After talking with the instructor, I did talk with the CI.
Old 09-14-2009 | 10:53 AM
wanna911
Race Car

At some point you have to just pull into pits, do a drive through and let them go about their business. Then complain to the director or someone between sessions.
Old 09-14-2009 | 12:33 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by early_grayce
+1
It's a common problem in our region, with a large number of GT3s in the Green/Yellow/White groups, who are indeed faster in the straights but often dangerously slow in the turns. It seems all they're there for is to floor it on the straights. Pretty lame...
You have to put it on the instructor(s). A noob simply may not know better or may be dealing with sensory overload. The best protocol is to go to the organizers who will go to the instructor/driver. It keeps things non-personal, and the organizers are in a position to assess whether it's a repeated issue. I've seen organizers black flag a car for this infraction.
Old 09-14-2009 | 01:00 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

I agree it's the instructors fault and should have his *** handed to him...

I frequently get newbies on the track and one of the primary points I try to get across is situational awareness and to leave your ego in the paddock. One of the plusses of letting faster cars pass you instead of riding your bumper is that the student can concentrate more on his/her line and not about who is in their mirror.

I hope the CI fixed the probelm immediately.
Old 09-14-2009 | 01:17 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Nobody likes clueless a@#hole drivers like the one ahead of you but... it seems you let your ego trump reason.

Pull into the pits - ask for a 'stretch' and go right back out. This would probably put 20 secs. between you and him. Not likely to be a problem again in a 20 min session that is probably half over by now.
That works if there is one guy out there, or a train, but in some groups there are 3-4+ GT3s all doing the same thing. It has nothing to do with ego... most of the time

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
It gets better Rob. Blue is better. I enjoyed Black most of all.
Blue is *much* better, and definitely looking forward to black one day.

Last edited by early_grayce; 09-14-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2009 | 02:47 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Hand him his *** if it is cronic. I bet most all have all been in the zone with a student and missed a car for a turn or two. I held up a car for a while one afternoon and felt bad about it too. All a.m. no one passing us while slow in the corners and fast on the straights. Got in a learning zone in the corners in the afternoon and got a bit lax on mirrors. Looked back and suprise, there was a car. Let him by and got back to work. My student worked his way up the learning curve and got the pass back later.
Old 09-14-2009 | 03:08 PM
sundog
Race Director

This behavior always amazes me, when I see a car coming up on me I plan for the next best opportunity for them to pass. I want to concentrate on my driving, and not worrying about somebody on my *** potentially causing me to make a mistake.
Old 09-14-2009 | 03:35 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by kurt M
I held up a car for a while one afternoon and felt bad about it too. All a.m. no one passing us while slow in the corners and fast on the straights. Got in a learning zone in the corners in the afternoon and got a bit lax on mirrors. Looked back and suprise, there was a car. Let him by and got back to work. My student worked his way up the learning curve and got the pass back later.
I was at Thunderbolt with Audi Club and they were using a blinker-to-pass signal where you turn on the blinker on the side where you want to be passed. Seeing a GT3 flying up behind me while headed under the bridge, I put on my right blinker to give him early warning that he would get no resistance from me after the turn. We get 1/3 down the straight and the GT3 is sitting on my bumper. What was he waiting for? An engraved invitation? Well, apparently the turn onto the front straight is severe enough to cause the blinker to click off (and of course I did not hear it). Another argument for old-fashioned point bys. PS: I went up to the guy afterward and apologized. He didn't even remember the incident.
Old 09-14-2009 | 04:46 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Did you tell the instructor that you were NOT recruiting for Pinks All Out?

Worse than the instructor being a jackass is that he is teaching a newbie bad habits.
Old 09-14-2009 | 06:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by catchacab
This weekend, I ran with another PCA region at a track I never drove before. I had asked to have an instructor, but did not recieve one. The run group I was running with had both instructed and uninstructed students. I did get a ride from Rick B. prior to my first run session. I exceeded my objectives for the weekend. Objective 1: Learn the track, Objective exceeded. I taught myself the track, but I did have help thanks to the ride from Rick, and a few friends that posted or emailed me videos Glen, Graham, Steve and George, and a few guys at the track who talked to me about the line. Thank you John R., Iceben, Pete T., Joe D. and James F. 2. Be safe, came home without incident.
Great to see you, Eric, and I enjoyed showing you around the track.
Which was kind of ironic, as I was learning about it myself. The Friday monsoon meant we didn't start until afternoon (though I did get 5 laps in the AM IN MY TRUCK which was actually more valuable than it sounds, as I had never seen Lightning (the track) before.
Sounds like you had a quick learning curve yourself!
Old 09-14-2009 | 07:03 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
an instructor said that? he should be removed from instructor duties.

this is how i gauge when to point by.
car X was not to be seen.
car X is now in my mirror.
car X must be faster than me.
car X is given a point by so i can concentrate on my own driving and car X can have his own fun as well.
+1 to this approach. This is brought up in pretty much every driver and instructor meeting. There is no excuse for not giving point bys.

Quick Reply: We're faster on the straights