Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons of turning my car into a race car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
One thing to consider, since your car is in good shape and fully street legal is to sell it and do someone a "favor" and buy his/hers fully built BSR.
Buying a well built racecar is the cheaper route (save $ and tons of time)
Originally Posted by Van
The only downside is that it'll be more expensive to convert your car than buy a car that's already a race car.

But, if you do it to your car, you can do it in stages and spend the money over a longer period of time.
Good points. I am attached to this particular Boxster so I'd rather not sell it. I may need to do things in stages depending on the total costs. I should add a cage this winter for sure.
Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
You could always wait the cats out and use all that money you've been wasting on catnip.
Our cats are all seniors now. They only 'do nip' on special occasions these days.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely buy a car that is already converted to full race. A lot less $ and hassle. Get one that has a log book/s with a few races under it's belt. This will help insure some the kinks have been worked out. Boxster's a relatively inexpensive on the track. Motors run in the $4K range. I don't think they are as bullet proof as older 911 but parts and major repairs are MUCH less.

I think full race cars are safer on track as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Not sure about SPBOX, but maintaining and regularly racing / fixing whatever breaks in a modern P-Car (987, 997) prepared to the limit of the Stock/Prepared rules gets you close to C3-C4 running costs. It is just that C3-C4 costs are predefined by service schedules which are non-existing for street based racecars. On the latter, things do break quite often, and you have to fix it right away unless you want to miss the race (therefore loosing your sunk costs for the race weekend).
fingers cross, my BSR is much better in that regard. only consumables.
the only thing broke was tranny, which i replaced with a junker at 1700 inc shipping and installation.

i did put new wheel bearings in it when it was built in jan 09. in august i needed another full set of bearings in august.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Motors run in the $4K range. I don't think they are as bullet proof as older 911 but parts and major repairs are MUCH less.

I think full race cars are safer on track as well.
correct on motor price.
i am sure the parts wont last as long as 911's. but again like you said, they are cheap. dont fix it just replace it.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
Cambridge is still the "People's Republic" and I fit right in! It definitely snows here.

LOL, yeah in MA, cambridge is ppl's republic. i thuought it was quite uptight! of course, i am from berkeley....
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Brian. Thanks for egging me on. I think I would really like racing but I would still like to bump my driving up another level or two to make sure that I'm qualified and safe out there.
That's smart. I had about 100 DE days before I took the plunge into racing, and racing is just a whole different skill level than DE. If I had to do it over again though, I'd probably move on to racing after about 50-60 DE days.

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons of turning my car into a race car