Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aiptek Users. Anyone using this model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aiptek Users. Anyone using this model?

Action-HD GVS - 1080P HD Camcorder w/ 5x Optical Zoom & Gyroscopic Stabilization
http://www.aiptek.com/HDCamcorders/

Looks like the newest version. Has remove control and external mic input.

What do you think? Is this the one that is used in the videos that have been posted recently? Can these record in car video at 1080p/30fps?

TIA
Old 09-07-2009, 10:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if you search around, there are videos posted of several guys that are using it. All the vids look pretty much the same after uploading though for the HD Aiptek models. I'm trying to decide on one myself as well.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

This is the newest version of the Aiptek and I just ordered one a few days ago. Also got the accessories to make the frankencharger, a 16GB card, an external card reader, and an external mic. First test will be Road Atlanta in October.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GVS is the latest model. Many of its new features are not really useful for our application [image stabilization in particular], but the external mic makes it worthwhile. It uses the same $10 IR Remote transmitter as the earlier models.

Get a good solid camera mount, and do everythign you can to keep the camera stable. Vibration can cause a distracting waviness in the image [search CMOS rolling shutter for more on that].

The best format to shoot is 720P @ 60fps. That's what most of us have found after trying the various formats the Aiptek provides.

I've got a wide angle lens adaptor that fits the GVS but is too large for my A-HD. $30 + ship. PM if interested.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Randy, sending you a PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:38 AM
snook...
6th Gear

good camera...the camera mount grommet is a little on the weak side....it wants to come out....simply secured the camera to the ioport mount with duct tape for a little extra support.
like poster said above 720 at 60 fps.

put a piece of duct tape over the mic...just to cut down on noise harshness.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

the camera mount grommet is a little on the weak side....it wants to come out....simply secured the camera to the ioport mount with duct tape for a little extra support.
Here's a simple solution for a rock solid mount of the Aiptek cameras using an IO Port mount. Might be a bit more reliable than duct tape. Its HERE
Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Here's a simple solution for a rock solid mount of the Aiptek cameras using an IO Port mount. Might be a bit more reliable than duct tape. Its HERE
Thanks for sharing this solution, it looks simple and effective. Does the screen close enough with the strap in place to shut the camera off? The always-on lcd screen is the biggest power consumer in the camera and if I have missed a way to record with the screen closed, please enlighten me. I have the A-HD model with a Sunpak.45 wide angle lens that doesn't seem to distort much at the edges and I have been pretty happy with the camera.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Do a search under 'Frankencharger' and you will find solutions to the battery life issue. There are also longer life batteries available for your camera now.

Sorry, I don't know the model #. Try here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Originally Posted by smarlow2
Thanks for sharing this solution, it looks simple and effective. Does the screen close enough with the strap in place to shut the camera off? The always-on lcd screen is the biggest power consumer in the camera and if I have missed a way to record with the screen closed, please enlighten me. I have the A-HD model with a Sunpak.45 wide angle lens that doesn't seem to distort much at the edges and I have been pretty happy with the camera.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Yes, I have mine connected to vehicle power via the charger, so I don't really worry about batteries.

The door closes, but only just. I'd put a small strip of thin Al under the camera to lit in a smidge, which would allow the door to close easily.

Quick Reply: Aiptek Users. Anyone using this model?