Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy helmet in The Tidewater?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009 | 09:35 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Default Where to buy helmet in The Tidewater?

Couldn't figure out where else to put this, hopefully it's not too out of place here - anybody know of a shop in the Tidewater (preferably on the peninsula side) where a person can buy a helmet (for automotive racing)?
Old 08-30-2009 | 10:09 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Most of us buy online, I think. Rather difficult to get fitted that way, though. Most of the helmets I'd used before I bought my own were loaners of the inexpensive models I was looking at, so I knew which ones fit me and what size to get before I ordered. Most of the online suppliers allow exchanges if they don't fit right.

What level racing are you looking at? You can probably find something just fine for local autocross at any motorcycle shop, but it won't fly if you're wheel-to-wheel racing at VIR.

You might want to PM Slantnose if he doesn't see this thread, he'd know all the shops in the area, I think.

Last edited by sjfehr; 08-30-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2009 | 01:43 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Autocross, maybe something faster later (they require whatever the SCCA requires at the autocrosses).
Old 08-31-2009 | 06:52 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

In that case, I'd suggest just try on the TSCC/ODR SCCA loaner helmets, find out what fits you, and order one of those.

Here are some threads on the local autocross forums talking about helmets:
http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.co...167&topic=52.0
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=4143
Old 08-31-2009 | 12:35 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

OG Racing in Sterling VA. You can try the helmets on in the store.
Old 09-01-2009 | 08:58 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjfehr
In that case, I'd suggest just try on the TSCC/ODR SCCA loaner helmets, find out what fits you, and order one of those.

Here are some threads on the local autocross forums talking about helmets:
http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.co...167&topic=52.0
http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=4143
The problem is I'm an XXL. No XXL loaners...
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:13 AM
gjones1735
Advanced

I drove up to OG Racing and tried on several helmets. They appear to have the largest selection in our area. Give them a call and see what they have in stock for XXL first. Driving time for me was about 2 hours and 20 minutes each way from Williamsburg ( they are right next to Dulles airport ). I drove my Porsche up there to make sure the helmet I purchased didn't bump the roof while I was driving. Good luck and hopefully see you at VIR for the FSR weekend.

George Jones
Williamsburg, VA
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:25 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

If you're an XXL in Arai I have one on the shelf a GP5W that was a return that I can get you for a very good deal.
Old 09-01-2009 | 07:33 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gjones1735
I drove up to OG Racing and tried on several helmets. They appear to have the largest selection in our area. Give them a call and see what they have in stock for XXL first. Driving time for me was about 2 hours and 20 minutes each way from Williamsburg ( they are right next to Dulles airport ). I drove my Porsche up there to make sure the helmet I purchased didn't bump the roof while I was driving. Good luck and hopefully see you at VIR for the FSR weekend.

George Jones
Williamsburg, VA
FSR Weekend? The Porsche is my dad's, is this a PCA thing? I'm MBCA - this is what I'll be tracking

Though, I'm still unsure about VIR. It's too nice (it's a restored car, Glasurit paint, just about to order all new chrome, restored interior, the works) to risk. I'm thinking I'll stick to autocross, even though the 5.6 liter, 10:1 comp, lumpy cam engine would prefer a bigger track.

I won't have to worry about my helmet hitting though...
Old 09-01-2009 | 07:36 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
If you're an XXL in Arai I have one on the shelf a GP5W that was a return that I can get you for a very good deal.
I think the Arai XXL is a bit too small (64cm, and I see their XXL is listed as 62). Though, even if not...a $900 helmet...I doubt you can make a good enough deal for this grad student to be able to afford it.
Old 09-01-2009 | 08:54 PM
gjones1735
Advanced

Hi Marlinspike,

Yeah it's a PCA club weekend event out at VIR. Just Porsches and BMW's I think.

The helmet I got at OG Racing was a G-force pro eliminator ( full face ) and was $250.

George
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:34 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I think the Arai XXL is a bit too small (64cm, and I see their XXL is listed as 62). Though, even if not...a $900 helmet...I doubt you can make a good enough deal for this grad student to be able to afford it.
Sounds like some of the big Bell's and the like are the ones you'll be looking for then. The 'Xtra' models in the Bell lineup. The M3Xtra is being phased out and can be found for good deals at places that still have them. I don't have anymore on hand.
Old 09-02-2009 | 12:42 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Do I really need a full-face? Seems to me that with so much metal and a low risk of fire, I should be ok with an open face, but what do i know?
Old 09-02-2009 | 12:47 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gjones1735
Hi Marlinspike,

Yeah it's a PCA club weekend event out at VIR. Just Porsches and BMW's I think.

The helmet I got at OG Racing was a G-force pro eliminator ( full face ) and was $250.

George
Afraid of the other firm from Stuttgart, are they? LOL, though actually, these have been tracked with some success (and I'm making more power than most that have seen the track), though I still have stock springs (albeit with firmer shocks)...so the Patriot and South courses would be a bit of a show.

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-02-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2009 | 08:38 AM
gjones1735
Advanced

Hi Marlinspike,

It's rare, but with the requirement that the drivers side window stay rolled down, people do get chunks of rubber or small rocks flying through the window. That's why I went with a full face model helmet.

George

Quick Reply: Where to buy helmet in The Tidewater?