Sponsored by:

Harness bar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:00 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Harness bar question

I know this is an old topic, and I am not trying to stir up anything new. Just looking for some data and confirmation on proper use.
I have two harness bars - a B-K Harness Guide bar and a Weltmeister Harness Bar for my 93 C4 Coupe. I fully recognize that the best solution is attachment of shoulder harness directly, with short strap length, to a roll bar directly behind the seat. At recent DE's I have used the B-K guide bar with harnesses routed over the bar and attached to eyebolts at the rear seat belt locations. The Weltmeister bar implies, through it's description and in a picture in the Automotion catalog, that the shoulder harness can be attached directly to the harness bar. B-K specifically states that their bar is a guide bar, and the harness cannot be attached directly (unless you substitute their truss bar). The Weltmeister bar construction is slightly different from the B-K (larger tubing? and larger attachment plate to the body pillar), but essentiallly the same.
So, the question is - can the Weltmeister bar truly be used (safely) as a harness bar?
Any actual data or engineering calcs to support this, either way?

I do not need both bars, so one of them will go up for sale, to pay for other trinkets.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

Any bar that is made of racing-accepted roll cage grade tubing (minimum 1.5x.095) should be suitable for direct mounting, in so far as the bar itself goes. Beyond that, I'll tell you that I'm not overly enthused with any belt bar that relies solely on the b-pillar for mounting. I prefer one that also engages the c-pillar as a stressed member in tension by use of some sort of strut attachnig from the main bar to those points.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Beyond that, I'll tell you that I'm not overly enthused with any belt bar that relies solely on the b-pillar for mounting.
I agree. I find it interesting that Weltmeister implies that it is acceptable to attach the should harnes directly to the bar. (this is already discounted by the fact that their pic in Automotion shows a harness used with a stock seat...) I will try contacting them to get a position statement.

BTW, do you make a bolt in bar for the 911, similar to your 944 design? That looks great.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWS964
BTW, do you make a bolt in bar for the 911, similar to your 944 design? That looks great.
I wish I did. I'd be glad to take your money right now. The 944 provides a unique environment that I have not found in any other car... yet.

Bolt in Mini Cooper bar now in the prototype phase.

Quick Reply: Harness bar question