Sponsored by:

HANS Finds Counterfeit Anchors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HANS Finds Counterfeit Anchors

Check here for the link to see if yours are real and get replacements and this is a link from CNBC

Just got this from Driving Impressions:

Dear Customers

I thought we should pass along the following information to you just released from Hans today.

This is the second major thing coming from Impact Racing regarding safety. The first issue was some of their suits did not have the proper SFI certification and now this on counterfeit parts. This guy has been in the business for over 30 years with a very well and trusted name by racers around the world. We do not carry the line nor will we ever. Personally I do not trust this company or their products.
Regardless for your safety please see if you are affected by this. I applaud Hans for their quick response to this problem.
Please read below:

HANS FINDS COUNTERFEIT ANCHORS – LAUNCHES FREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

Atlanta, Georgia (August 19, 2009) - HANS Performance Products has found counterfeit Post Anchor parts on a helmet purchased from Impact Racing Products.

Preliminary investigations suggest that counterfeit parts may have been supplied with other helmets provided by Impact. “We are seeking the source of the counterfeit anchors and to establish how widely they may have been distributed,” said HANS CEO Mark Stiles. He continued, “It is extremely possible that counterfeits may have been installed on other helmets, either factory-fitted by a helmet manufacturer or by racers installing replacement parts during equipment changes.”

The only counterfeit parts identified so far look like HANS’ current “Professional” Post Anchors, which are designed to offer robust durable service – these have a “teardrop” shaped head to the “post” and an aluminum base engraved with HANS, SFI and FIA markings. Other Post Anchor designs, such as the similar current “Standard” version, which have the same teardrop post but a simpler black plastic base, and older designs which had a round shaped head to the post, do not seem to have been counterfeited.

Stiles said, “If racers want to check their Professional Series Post Anchors, one quick test is to touch a magnet to the post. The posts used in all our designs since July 2005 are magnetic. The posts on the counterfeits we have seen are not magnetic.” He continued, “Our earlier designs used a non-magnetic material for the post, so a non-magnetic post is not necessarily a counterfeit, but it is a reason why a racer should contact us for more information.” The link below shows what to look for when testing the Post Anchor.

http://nsvirtualurl.com/core/media/m...a6a725bbdbb4f2

To ensure all racers have confidence in their safety equipment, HANS is implementing a program to replace any counterfeit Post Anchors free of charge. Details of the program, other information and program updates are available at hansdevice.com, or by calling HANS direct at 1-888-HANS-999, or contacting one of the 200 authorized North American HANS factory trained dealers nationwide.

The HANS Device is the #1 choice for performance, #1 for vision and #1 for winners.

Details and information about HANS Performance Products are available at www.hansdevice.com or by calling 1-888-HANS-999 or 770-457-1046.

Sincerely,
Robert Zecca
www.teamdi.com
Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

But is this good or bad? If the material was upgraded to a superior non-metallic, what's the problem?

It's not like the recent change to their snap shackle.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like Titanium...
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 3 integral pieces on the Hans that have to NOT fail in order to keep your head on your shoulders: the anchors, the tethers, and the Hans itself. Would you want to take a chance that one of those pieces are not up to task?

The anchors from Hans are tested to spec. If an unknown anchor is sourced out of China for 0.02 a piece, would you still trust it to work?

The unknown anchor may be up to task - we don't know one way or another. The problem is that no one can prove this without TESTING (which means $$$$). It's much easier just to use the design/materials that are known to pass the requirements.
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
But is this good or bad? If the material was upgraded to a superior non-metallic, what's the problem?

It's not like the recent change to their snap shackle.
Non Magnetic not Non metallic....

According to the posted clip the change was to a more magnetic metal from a low or non magnetic metal such as most stainless steels or more expensive Ti.
Sounds to me like they stopped using a stainless steel or Ti and went to a high strength, and more magnetic carbon or boron steel.
What is the cash flow in knocking off Hans posts? Is it that expensive to get a second set or are some helmets coming with them pre installed?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
Non Magnetic not Non metallic....
Thank you, sir. I stand corrected.

According to the posted clip the change was to a more magnetic metal from a low or non magnetic metal such as most stainless steels or more expensive Ti.
Sounds to me like they stopped using a stainless steel and went to a high strength, and more magnetic, steel.
The stronger materials for that application are non magnetic.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

We're still awaiting some more details on this whole matter. It sounds like they were found on pre-installed helmets. After posting the info on our blog yesterday morning, I received a phone call from Impact denying all charges (hence the removal of the main press release from our blog). I'll keep everyone updated as the info comes in.

I'm glad Hans is stepping up and replacing these at no charge. I think the urgency of the matter is that at least one counterfeit set was discovered - since no one will make just one, there are bound to be many more out there. And as a general safety precaution, everyone should be aware of that fact.

I do know this - all of our Hans stuff comes directly from Hans. And the only helmet we offer with pre-installed anchors are from Sparco which come directly from Italy removing them from the equation. So any Hans devices and/or accessories sold by OG Racing are 100% cleared.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OGRacing
There are 3 integral pieces on the Hans that have to NOT fail in order to keep your head on your shoulders: the anchors, the tethers, and the Hans itself. Would you want to take a chance that one of those pieces are not up to task?
I wouldn't use them if they were up to task, but that's an older thread.

The anchors from Hans are tested to spec. If an unknown anchor is sourced out of China for 0.02 a piece, would you still trust it to work?
Where is HANS sourcing their new snap shackles? Was the Wichard too expensive?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OGRacing
We're still awaiting some more details on this whole matter. It sounds like they were found on pre-installed helmets. After posting the info on our blog yesterday morning, I received a phone call from Impact denying all charges (hence the removal of the main press release from our blog). I'll keep everyone updated as the info comes in.

I'm glad Hans is stepping up and replacing these at no charge. I think the urgency of the matter is that at least one counterfeit set was discovered - since no one will make just one, there are bound to be many more out there. And as a general safety precaution, everyone should be aware of that fact.

I do know this - all of our Hans stuff comes directly from Hans. And the only helmet we offer with pre-installed anchors are from Sparco which come directly from Italy removing them from the equation. So any Hans devices and/or accessories sold by OG Racing are 100% cleared.
Yeah, I have a feeling there's more to this story that we aren't hearing just yet and there are some pretty strong accusations, not necessarily by HANS, as seen in the first post of this thread. We ain't heard the last of this.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man...what a cluster. Hope they gets this solved quickly.

C.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbaker

The stronger materials for that application are non magnetic.
The only one I can think of is Ti. I edited my first post to include but not quick enough.

This sounds like someone got confused about a batch made/sent/shipped or something. I just don't see the profit in knocking off something that sells for $60 and in the relatively low numbers it would be produced.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kurt M
The only one I can think of is Ti. I edited my first post to include but not quick enough.
IIRC, stainless steel is also non-magnetic.

This sounds like someone got confused about a batch made/sent/shipped or something. I just don't see the profit in knocking off something that sells for $60 and in the relatively low numbers it would be produced.
Agreed.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Yes stainless steel is far less magnetic but there are easy to machine and heat treat steels that end up stronger than any of the standard stainless steels. Stainless can be a royal pain to machine. Unless you have enviromental exposure issues why not use a stronger steel?

Quick Reply: HANS Finds Counterfeit Anchors