Sponsored by:

Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Speaking of cash for clunkers, I've finally bit the bullet and put the C4 up on autotrader. Proceeds to go towards seats, harness/bar, hans, etc; the rest will go into a tire addiction fund. Already getting voicemails on it, but part of me doesn't want to return them.

2002 C4 Cab for Sale

Looks sort of like this (trying to keep up with who ever just passed me)

That's me passing you Russ. Trust you won't be taking it easy next weekend? The extra 100 HP should give you a slight advantage on the straightaway.

;-)

Joost
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use street tires
The problem with this is that no one ever wants to give up the Toyos, Hoosiers, etc and go slower in any given session because they don't want to get passed. We start relying on those R comps to keep up with the Jones in our imaginary DE competition! I've actually got an old cheapo set of street tires for my miata that I keep saying I'm going to put on for a track day and just go slower and slide it around a bit for car control practice.

BTW, I'll add another to your list: Practice left foot braking (if you aren't already using it).
Old 09-08-2009, 07:18 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jperquin
That's me passing you Russ. Trust you won't be taking it easy next weekend? The extra 100 HP should give you a slight advantage on the straightaway.

;-)

Joost
What? No kudos for using my mirrors? That's the problem with the white run group... too few people acknowledging well timed point-by's.

Yes, Joost, I'll be quicker this time. I had barely 50 miles of seat time in the car last time, and was cooking the Pilot Sport 2's by the 3rd lap of each session. I was easily staying ahead of you and others on the straight, but was letting anyone who was close go by since the the outcome at the next turn was inevitable.

Originally Posted by TR6
The problem with this is that no one ever wants to give up the Toyos, Hoosiers, etc and go slower in any given session because they don't want to get passed. We start relying on those R comps to keep up with the Jones in our imaginary DE competition!
Yeah, I did that once... Never again.

Originally Posted by TR6
I've actually got an old cheapo set of street tires for my miata that I keep saying I'm going to put on for a track day and just go slower and slide it around a bit for car control practice.
Oh, I thought you had been doing that all the time!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

What? No kudos for using my mirrors? That's the problem with the white run group... too few people acknowledging well timed point-by's.
I seem to remember a DE at ECR where you gave me **** for having my arm out the window so much when I was in my wife's BMW on street tires and you guys were blowing by me. I seem to remember saying the same thing: They give you a hard time for not giving passing signals and then they give you a hard time FOR giving passing signals.
Oh, I thought you had been doing that all the time!
Nah, it just seems that way.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

• Turn off all driver aids
  • Use street tires
  • Downshift to no lower than 3rd gear
  • Drive a racing line instead of the optimum line.
  • Simulate a unexpected issue with the car (e.g. imagine that your clutch pedal just broke off (so remove it)... can you still drive smoothly with only half of the pedal surface area?
  • Imagine that you're in a P1 car at an ALMS event
  • Become an instructor, and teach us bastards how to use our mirrors.
Drive other tracks -- ECR, MSR Cresson, Hallett, NPR...
Drive the completely "wrong" line. -- Going CW take T3, & T4 on the inside line and pretend there is a car right next to you. CCW try taking T7 the same way.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Drive other tracks -- ECR, MSR Cresson, Hallett, NPR...
Drive the completely "wrong" line. -- Going CW take T3, & T4 on the inside line and pretend there is a car right next to you. CCW try taking T7 the same way.
Do you mean take T7 CCW the same way you take T7 CW? Or take T7 CCW pretending there is a car right next to you? Or will any wrong line do? Ah forget it... I'll just follow you.

Originally Posted by TR6
I seem to remember a DE at ECR where you gave me **** for having my arm out the window so much when I was in my wife's BMW on street tires and you guys were blowing by me.
OK, I take it back. Great point by! Nice form too!
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Do you mean take T7 CCW the same way you take T7 CW? Or take T7 CCW pretending there is a car right next to you? Or will any wrong line do? Ah forget it... I'll just follow you.

I meant take T7 CCW pretending there is a car next to you. Come in on the extreme right hand side of the track, and hold that line all the way through it. It's much slower, but it's fun way to challenge yourself. Plus it freaks everyone else out when you do it. They'll be thinking "WFT IS HE DOING". Of course most people following me are thinking that anyway.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I meant take T7 CCW pretending there is a car next to you. Come in on the extreme right hand side of the track, and hold that line all the way through it. It's much slower, but it's fun way to challenge yourself. Plus it freaks everyone else out when you do it. They'll be thinking "WFT IS HE DOING". Of course most people following me are thinking that anyway.
Dude! I REMEMBER that!

You know, there are doctors that can help you with that invisible-car-next-to-you paranoia thing
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 AM
TR6
Drifting

Damn. That's impressive that you have a frame grab of it!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM
BlackRain
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRain View Post
Won't be there due to business trip. See you guys in October :-(

Hope to see you on October then Steve..

JP

I'll be there in Oct hopefully with new ride.
Where's the weatherman for this weekend?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Dude! I REMEMBER that!

You know, there are doctors that can help you with that invisible-car-next-to-you paranoia thing
Those doctors don't know jack. Those invisible cars are real.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by Fly911
I'm in.
However, I start to worry about the increasing number of participants. We are now over 30 cars in white run group, and 65 in red! It's good to have a lot of instructors, but when the track gets too crowded, a lot of the red group drivers go out in white in stead. Also, the driving skills in white run group varies too much, and the slower ones are more busy looking ahead than looking in their rear view mirrors. As much as I appreciate the LSR PCA DE events, I wish we could have something more challenging, without going all the way to club racing. Mike, you have been a DE mentor for a long time, and I see that you are on the ITS program for this DE. Is there a way we could gather enough elite drivers and rent a track for a day or two? With 20-30 drivers this would be affordable, and a lot of fun. What do you guys think?
See ya'll on Saturday!
The red run group frequently has the _least_ number of cars on the track, for a number of reasons:

1. Most instructors have a green student. The red run group is (usually) going out on track when green comes in, which means that you will miss part of your session at the minimum, more if you are talking to your green student after the session, which we usually are.

2. The first red session is first thing in the morning, when lots of instructors are still getting their cars ready, in a meeting, eating breakfast, sleeping in, whatever. The third red session is right after lunch. The last session is the last session of the day, when most people are getting tired, especially if you have two students. The run groups (and the entire event) are really structured for the _students_, not the instructors. (as it should be!)

3. Because an instructor is on track so much during the day with students, you have to fit your track time in where you can, and often that means running in another run group such as White. Yes, being able to run in other groups is one of the "privileges" of being an instructor, but it's really so that we can get a little bit of driving in our own car.

As for the different skill levels in White, the "slower ones looking ahead and not in their mirrors"... I completely disagree. I run in White quite a bit (because of #1-3 above), and I rarely notice an issue. Most of the White drivers, and I know the vast majority of them personally, are extremely courteous and ready with the point-by. (I know that I have to be ready with the point-by myself, even in White--there are some fast drivers/cars out there!)

If you really are not feeling challenged by doing DEs, then maybe it's time to step up to racing. Personally, I'm always learning how to drive better, and there's always something to work on to become a faster and smoother driver. Maybe you should get in the right seat of an instructor's car (especially one of the faster instructors), or even have an instructor drive your car for a few laps. That always opened my eyes (and still does) to how much potential there is left in my car...

--michael
Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
The red run group frequently has the _least_ number of cars on the track, for a number of reasons:

1. Most instructors have a green student. The red run group is (usually) going out on track when green comes in, which means that you will miss part of your session at the minimum, more if you are talking to your green student after the session, which we usually are.

2. The first red session is first thing in the morning, when lots of instructors are still getting their cars ready, in a meeting, eating breakfast, sleeping in, whatever. The third red session is right after lunch. The last session is the last session of the day, when most people are getting tired, especially if you have two students. The run groups (and the entire event) are really structured for the _students_, not the instructors. (as it should be!)

3. Because an instructor is on track so much during the day with students, you have to fit your track time in where you can, and often that means running in another run group such as White. Yes, being able to run in other groups is one of the "privileges" of being an instructor, but it's really so that we can get a little bit of driving in our own car.

As for the different skill levels in White, the "slower ones looking ahead and not in their mirrors"... I completely disagree. I run in White quite a bit (because of #1-3 above), and I rarely notice an issue. Most of the White drivers, and I know the vast majority of them personally, are extremely courteous and ready with the point-by. (I know that I have to be ready with the point-by myself, even in White--there are some fast drivers/cars out there!)

If you really are not feeling challenged by doing DEs, then maybe it's time to step up to racing. Personally, I'm always learning how to drive better, and there's always something to work on to become a faster and smoother driver. Maybe you should get in the right seat of an instructor's car (especially one of the faster instructors), or even have an instructor drive your car for a few laps. That always opened my eyes (and still does) to how much potential there is left in my car...

--michael
Michael,

Great post!

I'm always amazed at the energy our instructors have to cater to the needs of their students and still manage to prep their own cars and get their own seat time in. We're lucky to have such a great group of LSR instructors; as far as I'm concerned, you guys can run in any run group you like!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
OK, so who was I supposed to ride with again besides Russell?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
When you do, we may not be the quickest, but we WILL look marvelous in my new track-day livery!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep

--michael
+1

Russell, that looks niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Lone Star PCA at TWS Sept 12-13