Sponsored by:

How to contact ALMS? Dumb pace car rule

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
So what's the answer? Pace car comes out and picks up the lead LMP car, that car pits so now there are a couple GT2 cars and GT3 cars before the next LMP car. Leave it that way and what happens on the restart? How ugly would that be going into Turn 1?
I don't see why not, at this level in the game you shouldn't be out there if you are afraid or unable to drive in traffic.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Spoken like a true BMW driver.

Sorry, but as other posters have noted, the rule took what should have been a tremendous race with Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and Corvette all vying for the win, to BMW being handed the trophy 20 minutes into the race.

No, actually, I would prefer my boy Patrick Long win, in a Porsche. But the BMWs--this time--got lucky. Next time they probably won't. And that's the way it goes.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Dave, I knew it wasn't a BMW thing, just razzing you. And I know it can go any way each time. Still, I'd rather see them gather the classes together for the restart. P1, P2, GT2, GTC in that order, based on their track position within class at the time of the yellow. It would give a clean restart, and prevent dumb luck from coming into the equation
Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gathering classes together would require closing the pits as soon as the yellow flies and waiting 2-3 laps or more for the cars to sort themselves out on track. It would be even more complicated, as cars that were a lap down to other cars in their own class would need to somehow figure out where they go. And then when the pits finally did open, the order would be all screwed up again for the restart.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Well then it's obvious. Leave everything the way it is, but put the BMW's down a lap. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
So what's the answer? Pace car comes out and picks up the lead LMP car, that car pits so now there are a couple GT2 cars and GT3 cars before the next LMP car. Leave it that way and what happens on the restart? How ugly would that be going into Turn 1?
Actually, that might be quite exciting. These drivers are pros and should be able to sort things out on the restart.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Was I just imagining things or did the BMW's actually get to drive almost a lap ahead of the others, pit and then drive back around to the tail and remain in first and second?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:48 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Was I just imagining things or did the BMW's actually get to drive almost a lap ahead of the others, pit and then drive back around to the tail and remain in first and second?
Yep. They were 20 yards in front of the 3rd place car in GT2. Then due to leader 66 car pitting, but not the 9 the pace car let them by and they then circled around to the back of the pack. Along the way both pitted. So they were were then 100 yards behind the 3rd place GT2 car, but 7/8th of a lap in front. From then on the top 6 GT cars ran nose to tail until 2 car had issues. (one BMW hit a tire in the pits and had a penlty and a mirror fell of the Corvette and needed to be replaced so they had longish pit stop). The BMW with 60 second pit lane hold sill finished 2nd in GT2.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the major issue is the disparity of the lap times between the prototypes and GT cars. The leader is lapping the front running GT car every 6 laps? (20 sec/lap differential, sub 2 minute lap at Road America.) In today's fully electronically controlled timing and scoring they can't sort the classes? All it SHOULD take is an extra yellow flag lap to make a few passes. Or would it be too hard for a prototype or two or three to move ahead of ALL the GT cars and into position? Really, that's all it would take, right?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts
Default From the peanut gallery . . .

From a spectators point, I would prefer the race be more about competition and less about luck. If a yellow flag is for safety then it would seem they should do what they can to not have it change the competition, it should be a freeze on track activity / pits. Sorting out the classes order under yellow for a restart should be a required skill for the drivers in a multi class race, not a insurmountable challenge.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
If a yellow flag is for safety then it would seem they should do what they can to not have it change the competition, it should be a freeze on track activity / pits.
People really want to see the pits closed (and cars rearranged on track) in endurance racing during a yellow flag? Really?

Yellow flags already change the competition by bunching the field back up. It's not as if this happens at every race. Occasionally someone gets lucky from a yellow flag situation. It happened to be a BMW this time. It may be a Porsche next time.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
Sorting out the calls order under yellow for a restart should be a required skill for the drivers in a multi class race, not a insurmountable challenge.
Not as easy as it seems when some cars are multiple laps down and yet "right behind the leader" in their class on track. So much potential for unnecessary confusion.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
People really want to see the pits closed (and cars rearranged on track) in endurance racing during a yellow flag? Really?

Yellow flags already change the competition by bunching the field back up. It's not as if this happens at every race. Occasionally someone gets lucky from a yellow flag situation. It happened to be a BMW this time. It may be a Porsche next time.
I could care less what marque benefits or doesn't. The fact is spectators lose every time. I'm a homer, but not so much that I don't want to see a competitive race. The race was shaping up to be epic in gt. The argument that "it all comes out in the wash" doesn't hold much water.

(two cliché's in one sentence - priceless)
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Couldn't they do what PCA does and close the pits? Then, the advantage would fall to those few fortunate enough to be in the pits when the yellow came out.

They would not need to rearrange the field by class, just close the pits.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by John H
Couldn't they do what PCA does and close the pits? Then, the advantage would fall to those few fortunate enough to be in the pits when the yellow came out.

They would not need to rearrange the field by class, just close the pits.
Exactly. Closed pits presents an entirely different situation where luck is a huge factor as well. Those of us who run club racing enduros with mandatory pit stops know all about the "golden pit stop". Cars in the pits when the yellow flies would have a big advantage over their competition.

Further, rearranging the grid guarantees that every full course yelllow must last for at least a couple laps to sort out of the field. If the incident is cleaned up quickly, the track will have to stay yellow until everything can be sorted out.

Quick Reply: How to contact ALMS? Dumb pace car rule