Didn't get one.
Old 08-27-2009 | 10:00 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Astroman
Bob S., can you tell us what happened??
Can I assume you were asking me? Sorry, been out of town the past week attending to some family health issues and missed this thread.

Without going into the gory details, basically the entire Carolinas Region board, including myself as past President, dropped the ball and assumed things were being done for the race that were not, and we didn't know that until the last (actually AFTER the last) minute. With the help of Bruce we scrambled to find a way to salvage the situation, but we just counldn't pull it off and get the commitment from enough individuals to drop everything in their lives and make it work.

It's EXTREMELY dissapointing for all of us, and quite honestly a bit embarassing trust me. But the board decided that instead of holding a half-assed event leaving a bad impession with our racers, and potentially exposing the region to enourmous losses, (we've lost a lot of money each year the past 3, and this year could have been more than double the losses), we would regroup this year and hold a great event next year. As much as the racer in me says I hate that decision, the somewhat responsible board member says it was the right thing to do. A new team is already starting to be put in place for 2010 and I can assure you, the race will go on and be better than ever.

I would echo a couple of comments made: small races are not money makers for the regions. We do them for the love of the event, and to get everyone together and have a good time. Those of you that come to the Carolinas Race know the staff always does a wonderful job and we have a great event.

Also, it takes A LOT of volunteers to run a race that give up their free time for us to play with our cars, plus a very dedicated Race Chair and staff that for reasons unknown to most of us, enjoys not sleeping or having time to themselves for weeks at a time for our benefit Then there's the National Race Staff that gives up much of their vacation time again, for our fun (I know, I'm married to one!) So when all of you are out there having fun at a race - or even a DE - make sure you take the time to just say thank you to anyone working the race. Because without their time and dedication, the PCA Race program would not exist. The Carolinas Race cancellation is proof of that.

We hope to see all of you next year!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-27-2009 | 03:43 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by naroescape
Can I assume you were asking me? Sorry, been out of town the past week attending to some family health issues and missed this thread.

Without going into the gory details, basically the entire Carolinas Region board, including myself as past President, dropped the ball and assumed things were being done for the race that were not, and we didn't know that until the last (actually AFTER the last) minute. With the help of Bruce we scrambled to find a way to salvage the situation, but we just counldn't pull it off and get the commitment from enough individuals to drop everything in their lives and make it work.

It's EXTREMELY dissapointing for all of us, and quite honestly a bit embarassing trust me. But the board decided that instead of holding a half-assed event leaving a bad impession with our racers, and potentially exposing the region to enourmous losses, (we've lost a lot of money each year the past 3, and this year could have been more than double the losses), we would regroup this year and hold a great event next year. As much as the racer in me says I hate that decision, the somewhat responsible board member says it was the right thing to do. A new team is already starting to be put in place for 2010 and I can assure you, the race will go on and be better than ever.

I would echo a couple of comments made: small races are not money makers for the regions. We do them for the love of the event, and to get everyone together and have a good time. Those of you that come to the Carolinas Race know the staff always does a wonderful job and we have a great event.

Also, it takes A LOT of volunteers to run a race that give up their free time for us to play with our cars, plus a very dedicated Race Chair and staff that for reasons unknown to most of us, enjoys not sleeping or having time to themselves for weeks at a time for our benefit Then there's the National Race Staff that gives up much of their vacation time again, for our fun (I know, I'm married to one!) So when all of you are out there having fun at a race - or even a DE - make sure you take the time to just say thank you to anyone working the race. Because without their time and dedication, the PCA Race program would not exist. The Carolinas Race cancellation is proof of that.

We hope to see all of you next year!!
Had a blast last year Bob! Will be sorely missed this year. Oh well, always NASA.
Old 08-27-2009 | 04:58 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Bob,

Thank you for writing that most eloquent piece on how hard organizers work. I sent this on to a DE Team I know - I hope they appreciate it as much as I did.

Well, you have a whole year now to plan for that club race - it should be the BEST one yet!!! Good Luck with it.
Old 08-27-2009 | 05:27 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think sometimes we all forget that PCA is a volunteer orgainization, and that all the people giving up their personal time are VOLUNTEERS. They don't get paid, they do it for fun and for the enjoyment of others. PCA is an amazing organization when you think of it: we put on dozens of races, hundreds of DE's, tons of socials, tours, parties, picnics, etc. not to mention Parade, Escape, etc., etc. etc. all with volunteers.

Did we drop the ball on the Carolinas Race? Absolutely. It's nobody's fault but our own in Carolinas Region. But just like anything else in life, sometimes you need a major catastrophe or failure to realize that changes have to be made to make things better for the future. Trust me, this was a BIG wake up call for a lot of people, inside AND outside of Carolinas.
Old 08-27-2009 | 05:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lemming
Sucks that we have had two SE races canceled this year, first Barber, now CMP
Yeah, no kidding. So much for the Zone 3 Club Race Challenge, huh?

Next year, I promise!

Quick Reply: PCA Race at CMP Cancelled?