Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just picked up a 24 steel box trailer. I had one tow in it to the track this past weekend with car in it and loaded up. I am towing with a 2500 dodge 2wd 8.0l V10. I got 9.5 MPH round trip which is only 1 mpg less than towing my 16 foot open trailer with the same gear. I got a 1000lbs weight dist hitch and needed the big towing mirrors. It was a non issue pulling the thing loaded to 6800-7k.

My tow vehicle right now is a 99 and the gasser only get 12 mpg empty. So fine for a Tow only vehicle and considering what I paid worth it compare to diesel. However If I had to daily drive this truck gas cost would kill me in short order. So then it would be time for 2500 diesel or possibly a 10k rated Tundra. I know the 2500/250 would have no issues, but not sure about 10k tow rated 1/2 ton trucks. They might do the job, but franly don't have the beef in the chassis a 2500/250 does. So how will it hold up? How will it do over the mountans for 600 miles? Hard to say... If I need to replace this 99 dodge it will be intersting call on what I get. Good news is I only have 62k on the truck so despite the age should last me a while longer.

One other thing to consider is a 20ft box instead of 24. Sure 24 is "better", but with a 20 you will have less space and that will in turn force you to pack less inside keeping the overall weight down. Plus the empty trailer is ligther too.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:09 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at an aluminum trailer instead of steel in order to keep the weight down and a bit concerned about the sway issues. My truck is a Yukon XL Denali so it has air bags in the bag as a factory item and I was thinking the wheelbase is not much different than a extended cab pickup but I have not checked that. I live in Texas and have not plans of hauling it far enough where mountains will be an issue and with the 6.0 motor in the Denali I presumed the power would be ok and I could add a cold air intake or a chip if required. The brakes may need an upgrade as they certainly are not really good.

A 3/4 ton truck is a much better option but I already lease two places to store cars / boats etc and hate the idea of storing another one for occasional use. I need to keep the big SUV for hauling big dogs and large groups.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I tow my 22' ATC with a 1/2 ton Avalanche. The frame length makes for good stability but the engine is marginal. Perhaps with the optional rear end might make it perfect but since I seldomly tow and drive it daily......

I have towed it with a diesel Silverado and you don't even know you have a trailer.

BTW, my race car weighs in at 2000#'s.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by txhansen
I am looking at an aluminum trailer instead of steel in order to keep the weight down and a bit concerned about the sway issues. My truck is a Yukon XL Denali so it has air bags in the bag as a factory item and I was thinking the wheelbase is not much different than a extended cab pickup but I have not checked that. I live in Texas and have not plans of hauling it far enough where mountains will be an issue and with the 6.0 motor in the Denali I presumed the power would be ok and I could add a cold air intake or a chip if required. The brakes may need an upgrade as they certainly are not really good.

A 3/4 ton truck is a much better option but I already lease two places to store cars / boats etc and hate the idea of storing another one for occasional use. I need to keep the big SUV for hauling big dogs and large groups.
I think you're on the right track getting an aluminum trailer and upgrading the brakes.
I would never tow anything with my denali because the brakes are so soft..I've tried a number of remidies; SS brake lines; fluid flush but it did not help all that much. If you have large enough wheels I'd go for a big brake upgrade for sure.

I tow with the companies F-350 CC LWB and really like it.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am looking at an aluminum trailer instead of steel in order to keep the weight down and a bit concerned about the sway issues.

The aluminum trailer will be a bit lighter, but a big box is still a big box. What happens with semi blows past is the same with aluminum vs steel. Same goes for towing in wind. Frankly the steel trailer may tow better since sometimes light trailers are easier to blow around in the wind.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I think you're on the right track getting an aluminum trailer and upgrading the brakes.
I would never tow anything with my denali because the brakes are so soft..I've tried a number of remidies; SS brake lines; fluid flush but it did not help all that much. If you have large enough wheels I'd go for a big brake upgrade for sure.

I tow with the companies F-350 CC LWB and really like it.
I put a set of Hawks on my F-150, made a considerable difference. Squeals like a stuck pig around town, but I expect that from Hawks
Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

For directional stability you want a "frame truck" rather than a unibody IMHO. A good brake controller like a predator and a weight distributing hitch.

With a properly adjusted brake controller, I have never had problems with my stock brakes.

Take the big box comment seriously...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Having towed the same trailer with three wheelbases, I can attest to "no substitute for longer wheelbase." The Predator is an excellent electric brake controller. I'm a big fan of the Reese cam type sway bars--and put the biggest hitch available for your vehicle. Most of the GM "factory" hitches don't hold a candle to the products you can buy from Reese/DrawTite.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you guys thinking of the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 instead of the Dexter Predator brake controller?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My bad--I do have a Tekonsha Prodigy. Super brake controller!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same here, I have a Prodigy.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made the decision that I need to move to an enclosed trailer finally but really want to avoid buying yet another vehicle (ie 3/4 ton diesel). Anyone have any experience hauling a 24' aluminum enclosed trailer with a 1/2 Yukon XL / Suburban? My truck list towing capacity at 7,700 pounds and I feel I will be right about at that number by the time I add my Spec Boxster, tools, tires, cabinets, generator, AC etc.
I tow a 20 ft ATC trailer with a LR3 rated to 7,700. It works, just.

Last edited by rabjohns; 08-16-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
s2steve
Intermediate

I purchased a 24' ATC in the spring and pulled it on one short trip to Pocono. Up and down the hills of Rt. 80 quickly convinced me I would need a diesel. My former truck, 2500HD crew cab 6.0L, was stable enough and the brakes were fine. It was horribly underpowered to tow 9000lbs. up steep grades. Just to maintain 50MPH up the larger hills my foot was on the floor and the truck would downshift to second gear and scream at 5000RPM. I just purchased a low mileage diesel silverado 2500HD crew cab. I haven't towed with it yet but at 620ft./lbs I'm sure it will do the job. Bite the bullet and get the proper tow vehicle.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

I agree with S2Steve.

In the last 20 years I've towed open and closed trailers with the following:

91 Volvo 745 wagon (the transmission never shifted very well after the one towing experience.....)
Nissan Pathfinder
Isuzu Trooper
Various S10 Blazers
98 Chevy Tahoe
96 Suburban half ton
Ford heavy duty 2wd F150 (with a six, don't ask, it was owned by the late father of a good friend and was a good deal)
98 Dodge 1 ton diesel dually extended cab 4wd
Ford F350 dually diesel one ton
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4wd crew cab duramax diesel (with a programable chip)

The last is my current tow vehicle and is the one that I'm frankly the happiest with. it tows everything up to a 28 foot enclosed with no problem. The 24 foot Featherlite enclosed with load levelers feels like there is nothing back there (2300 lb car with spares).

the S10 blazers would tow an open trailer but I didn't realize how much I was fighting the trailer until I moved up to the Tahoe.

and, for those keeping score, the last trip we made to Brainerd for our club race we got 15+ MPG on the truck computer, with chip set on tow mode. My wife got an astonishing 23 MPG without a trailer, with the chip set on "performance" when she drove down to Road America for the KIC in July.

Yes, it's a pain to have another vehicle to have to store but you are already dealing with that with storing your trailer. Plus, every time I have a pick up I'm amazed at how often they come in handy, even for a lawyer who is all thumbs.

Get the 3/4 ton diesel pick up......
Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM
txhansen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I agree with S2Steve.

Get the 3/4 ton diesel pick up......
I have come to the conclusion that I just need to bite the bullet and get the diesel 3/4 ton truck as much as I don't want to.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Aluminum Trailer Question