Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warning for DE Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The failure to assume responsibility in this society is nauseating. And it's only getting worse

I think this country is becoming "pu$$yfied. Welcome to the "feminization" of America
Old 08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Old 08-12-2009, 03:11 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My main gripe is the number of extremely powerful and fast cars being driven by absolute novices or even worse the "world's most talented street driver". I grew up driving light, low HP cars and I feel I'm the better for it b/c I had to learn to drive everywhere fast on the track (not babysit corners and drag race the straights). I also was penalized in a low hp car where all mistakes were amplified.

I now still drive a 90 hp Civic, a 150hp 944 Spec car and love every minute of it. I'm not fast but I'm having more fun with a lot less stress. I get very, very nervous when I get in the car with a student and they have easily 300hp + - often a 911 - which can bite back very quickly. But mainly with HP as it potentially gets students into so much trouble so much sooner. I'm of the smooth is fast school - of staying slow to build up speed gradually.

To the OP - thanks for the info. I need to check up on this before I instruct for our local events. I'm hoping the PCA has this blanket coverage for all instructors at all DEs.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The failure to assume responsibility in this society is nauseating. And it's only getting worse
And this surprises you? It's been going on for years!!!
Ever heard of the term "Stella awards". It's named after an 79 year-old lady who bought a hot coffee from McDonalds back in 1992, then proceeded to spill it on her lap, burning her ***. Nobody pushed her, she did this to herself in a parked car. A sympathetic jury awarded her $2.9 Million in damages (later reduced to "only" $640K), plus an undisclosed amount from McDonalds as a settlement agreement so she would not go into any appeals process.
Beauty.

Other examples:
http://www.stellaawards.com/2007.html
http://www.stellaawards.com/sample.html

This society is going down the drain. Fast.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:28 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
To the OP - thanks for the info. I need to check up on this before I instruct for our local events. I'm hoping the PCA has this blanket coverage for all instructors at all DEs.
From my PCA inquiries, assuming the sponsoring PCA Region has obtained the required coverage under PCA's Motorsports Liability program, its DE Instructors are covered for negligence claims for personal injury and/or property damage up to $10,000,000. Apparently (as posted above) BMWCCA and ACNA have similar programs.

My concern now that my own insurer won't cover me is for non-PCA/non-covered DEs. It's not something I thought about before, but as others have posted, it doesn't seem to take much to be at the receiving end of a merited or meritless claim.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:16 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

I would assume PCA takes on the legal defense costs for the instructor in order to minimize PCA's financial exposure?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Instructors' feedback on my driving skills has resulted in mental anguish. I'd sue, but then said skills would become public record.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA

I know of 2 unpublicized instances of claims against instructors. One resulted in a $25,000 insured settlement to a (participant) passenger. I don't know the final disposition of the other (also insured).
More detail would be helpful. What were the circumstances that resulted in the $25000 settlement? What organization ran the event? When did the event take place? Where?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave morris
More detail would be helpful. What were the circumstances that resulted in the $25000 settlement? What organization ran the event? When did the event take place? Where?
PM sent.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by jbossolo
And this surprises you? It's been going on for years!!!
Ever heard of the term "Stella awards". It's named after an 79 year-old lady who bought a hot coffee from McDonalds back in 1992, then proceeded to spill it on her lap, burning her ***. Nobody pushed her, she did this to herself in a parked car. A sympathetic jury awarded her $2.9 Million in damages (later reduced to "only" $640K), plus an undisclosed amount from McDonalds as a settlement agreement so she would not go into any appeals process.
Beauty.

Other examples:
http://www.stellaawards.com/2007.html
http://www.stellaawards.com/sample.html

This society is going down the drain. Fast.
I am just curious - if you got caught up in the media frenzy on this or you actually followed the case to know what was going on?

Were you aware that "Stella" had burnt herself several times before at that same McDonald's. Are you aware that she had given them warning (both verbal and in writing) that they had the coffee hotter than the legal temperature allowed to serve coffee? Were you aware that she was assured many times, including from the manager, they would take care of the problem and lower the temperature of the coffee served?

There are always two sides my friend to each story. Please learn the other side before citing... Some of us are glad that the "Stellas of the world" have spoken up on our behalf.

Now if you are looking for the perfect example of passing the buck, not taking responsiblity or how fast society has gone downhill - what comes to my mind was about 1987 when New York State decided if someone leaving a bar, who has been served alcohol, drives and gets into an accident -- it's the bartender's fault. Unreal!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Were you aware that "Stella" had burnt herself several times before at that same McDonald's.
That makes her even more stupid than I originally thought.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by deep_uv
That makes her even more stupid than I originally thought.
Good one! lol
Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI: http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html has more details about her story. It wasn't as a frivolous case as the press made it out to be.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:22 AM
993inNC
Race Car

just one thing...........you got me covered Jackie?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Edited.

The organizers are listed on the track insurance. Chris - that means you too.

Last edited by DarkSideDE; 08-13-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: A warning for DE Instructors