Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glue removal tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009 | 09:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Gary, I have the stripping out of a car to do in the near future. So what is the definitive method to do this. Is the glue the hardest part?
I've heard everything from dry ice to pre-heated water through a pressure hose, and now Xylene. I'm not sure if we even have Xylene out here but I assume it's paint thinner?
Did you get to weigh the difference from full carpet to nothing?
Old 08-11-2009 | 11:28 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Gary, I have the stripping out of a car to do in the near future. So what is the definitive method to do this. Is the glue the hardest part?
I've heard everything from dry ice to pre-heated water through a pressure hose, and now Xylene. I'm not sure if we even have Xylene out here but I assume it's paint thinner?
Did you get to weigh the difference from full carpet to nothing?
The scraping out of the sound deadening was the worse part. The xylene part with the exception of the smell was not bad at all.

I was weighing stuff together as it came out.
The combined weight savings of the following was 130 lbs:-
heater/ac blower stuff behind the dash, approx 40 lbs.
door panels, driver's door bar.
all carpet and soundening in front part of the car.
rear quarter panel trim.
fog lamps/windshield wipers/bottom part of rear seat, approx 18lbs.

I took out all my rear carpet etc a month ago.

Other nice savings that I've done are fiber glass roof panel and rear bumper, as well as replaced all the glass with lexan.

My car still weighs 2,930 lbs with me in it but that's mostly because of all the extra cage work I did to the Firehawk cage.
After being in a car with a poor cage that crushed 4" when it rolled I decided to take my safety even more seriously.

Good Luck with the removal, it's worth the effort

Quick Reply: Glue removal tip