Sponsored by:

Sway bars 101.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
In a way sways are dampened a bit. Their action is resisted by the dampers indirectly.
That's what I was thinking. It's especially obvious in a torsion bar suspension where the "springs" work like the sway bar, except they're anchored and independent. In sway bars, each end is a torsion bar anchored to the opposite control arm.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Well, it IS a relative term... Still doesn't look good for TBolt but it isn't over till the fat lady sings..

Come on out and play..........you know you are going to love T-bolt CR.......
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, it IS a relative term... Still doesn't look good for TBolt but it isn't over till the fat lady sings..
Come on! It's turning out into a pretty mainstream event with close to 100 registrations. Need you out there with us pal. It just won't be the same without you (and i am not referring to all help you provide those who surround you in the paddock). Come out, and ditch a DE if you have to.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah, c'mon Gary. it won't be the same without you. I can't remember the last time I raced when you weren't there. I think I'm going to cry.

Besides, if you don't go who am I going to laugh with about the insane pass that Fred will put on someone by driving through paddock as a shortcut.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Guys - nothing would make me happier than to go, but you know the story.. nothing in, nothing out... I feel the same way Sean <sniffle>, but even my selling off some stuff I have to pay Julio 1st.. He dragged out the car so long it ran over into the "lean" period. Fred, DE's are $50 now but even so I won't be doing any of them for a while either. The Limerock thing was paid for a while ago and was a "family" thing, else that would have been canceled too!

My biggest regret is not having video of Fred's first off in the octopus!

Hey, maybe Dan will bring me down for support!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Guys - nothing would make me happier than to go, but you know the story.. nothing in, nothing out... I feel the same way Sean <sniffle>, but even my selling off some stuff I have to pay Julio 1st.. He dragged out the car so long it ran over into the "lean" period. Fred, DE's are $50 now but even so I won't be doing any of them for a while either. The Limerock thing was paid for a while ago and was a "family" thing, else that would have been canceled too!

My biggest regret is not having video of Fred's first off in the octopus!

Hey, maybe Dan will bring me down for support!
I totally understand the $ thing. We are just far more irresponsible than you are. As for me going off in the Octopus, i'll give you the play by play... I will also run video for the first time in a long time... s/b fun. Come down with Dan J at least. I will have vino.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think I really would be crying if I was there and not racing....but then again I could drink! That Dan Jacob's 1-2-3 has still to appear, last year at Lightning it was Sean missing (though I got NADA for 2nd!), this year at WGI it was me. You have been a constant Fred, regardless of my attendance I expect you and Sean to dominate the podium.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
That's what I was thinking. It's especially obvious in a torsion bar suspension where the "springs" work like the sway bar, except they're anchored and independent. In sway bars, each end is a torsion bar anchored to the opposite control arm.
The resistive action is not always there or the same. Dampers most often have more high speed damping than low speed. with regard to sways body roll is low speed, hitting a gator is high speed. sorry guys please continue.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You guys are fun to read but you lost Paolo a loooooong time ago..
Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I know, I know. He has his wrench coming to the track so this thread would only muddy things up anyway. You guys are fun to read too. Beats the hell out of the con call I am on right now. You bringing the show to SP for the Oct CR?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I sure hope so Kurt......
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In a way sways are dampened a bit. Their action is resisted by the dampers indirectly.
True. Arb's aren't truly undamped, but for most club racing cars they are heavily underdamped. Due to the rates in ride and roll being so different the dampers can not be optimized for both motions. Now, this gets into damper setup a bit too much, but many highly aerodynamic vehicles bias dampers for roll making them overdamped in ride and pitch motions.
I'll stop going
Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I asked for a 101 course and was enrolled in a masters program........

Kurt, the mechanic just happens to be at the event with is private clients, he is only helping me out because of my winning personality...... I am not one of the rich boys......
If the show comes to Summit CR, I will be sure to join......

Thanks again guys........
Old 08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Just razzing you Dr. Dremel. What did you expect with that question asked here? simple and concise? I will look for you guys at SP. I am hoping to have my project car on track for the DE portion for shake down and rough tuning. Just look for the slow car trailing smoke with fluids leaking out and parts falling off.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 794 Posts

Dr. Dremel.
OK, that is some funny stuff right there, Kurticus!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Quick Reply: Sway bars 101.........