Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMP Track Unveiling at Hennessy Porsche - who went?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMP Track Unveiling at Hennessy Porsche - who went?

I'm surprised I have not seen a thread on it...did anyone make it to the Atlanta Motorsport Park event at Hennessy Porsche in Roswell, GA last week?

I heard they got about 450 people, and it went really well. Free Grey goose, grey goos eye candy, Varsha, and the final track layout from Tilke

Anyone go? If so, what'd you think?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.83 miles? Meh. Doesn't flow well either, and looks hard on the brakes. I was expecting a tad more. And I know quite a few people who went and have looked into memberships and there seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to if the whole thing will even get off the ground.

I absolutely abhor the idea of tennis courts and swimming pools, horse trails etc. Too close to Atlanta for anyone to really want or need to use that stuff. Just use all the money and build a killer freaking track and be done with it!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I thought about going but didn't want to drive across town at that hour. I also know I won't be buying a membership.

RLister Jenk was scheduled to speak. Maybe him will chime in.

Those layouts look like a track that is not well suited to high HP cars. It would probably be fun in my SC though. If it happens I will definately take it for a spin.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

I went but I am packing up for Mid Ohio right now. I will try to reply more later with my thoughts on this. Everything is good and I think the track will be a little bit better than it appears. Think ELEVATION!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
95m3racer
Pro

I think once everyone sees the 3D map you'll see how fast the track is. After further inspection and some more details I found, it looks much better than i first thought. Straight is a lot faster than it seems. It'll probably only be proven once the tires hit the pavement, but this will definitely make for some nice trips to the south east.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 AM
jenk12m
Banned

i was there but did not have to speak. there will be more elevation change than road atlanta and we all will have to wait until we drive it to formulate an opinion
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

In that 2nd pic - why was the ShamWOW guy there (guy in the middle)

(I'm being funny, in the slightly blurry pic, guy looks just like the ShamWOW guy on TV)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Quite a few of us went to the AMP presentation...

~ 589 people elbow to elbow were there.

1. The track has been shortened from the original plans.

Reason: They found that the track would have to cross two streams if kept at original concept.

2. AMP does plan to extend the length of the track.... sometime downstream.

3. Track's layout is counter-clockwise... unusual for a road course.

4. We were told they plan to have the track open next April...
this would be track & pits... no buildings.

5. AMG Mercedes is considering having a school at AMP.

Most of us Z06'ers (two dozen or so track rats) are waiting to see asphalt before committing... elevation changes look good, additional length would be welcomed.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
1. The track has been shortened from the original plans.

Reason: They found that the track would have to cross two streams if kept at original concept.

A 1.8 mile track...hmmm. That's a bit of a disappointment. For the past year+ they have been going on and on about how AMP is going to be bigger, better and more exclusive than Road Atlanta.

Uh...a 1.8 mile track will not do it. Simple as that. It will certainly be used due to its proximity.

I am hoping it has a great rhythm to it. A short track with no rhythm loses taste quickly. Regards of how many elevations are in it. Based on what I see on the track map, I am thinking the rhythm is rather chopped up.

C.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996
A 1.8 mile track...hmmm. That's a bit of a disappointment. For the past year+ they have been going on and on about how AMP is going to be bigger, better and more exclusive than Road Atlanta.

Uh...a 1.8 mile track will not do it. Simple as that. It will certainly be used due to its proximity.

I am hoping it has a great rhythm to it. A short track with no rhythm loses taste quickly. Regards of how many elevations are in it. Based on what I see on the track map, I am thinking the rhythm is rather chopped up.

C.
I am not going to say anything about the track yet. 1.8 miles with 120 feet of elevation just might change your mind. Lime Rock for example has two of the scariest turns you will see in motorsports. The uphill is crazy fast with no way to see what is in the track at the top. Then the downhill is harder to get right and has more pucker than T12 at Road Atlanta. All of this on a 1.53 mile track. This one has the opportunity to be a lot faster and a lot more fun!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
95m3racer
Pro

I have a feeling, considering who designed the track, that i'll be a pleasant surprise...look at Tilke's current list of tracks:

La Ciudad del Motor de Aragón
YAS Marina Circuit Abu Dhabi
Bahrain International Circuit
Circuit de Catalunya
Fuji International Speedway
Hockenheimring
Nürburgring
Paul Ricard HTTT
Sachsenring
Sepang F1 Circuit
Shanghai International Circuit
Istanbul Park
Pinto - El Espacio Del Motor
Kazakhstan Motorcity
A1 Ring
Circuit Park Zandvoort
Bahrain Racetrack Hotel*****
Shanghai Racetrack Hotel*****
Reclaim Island Project - Bali
Erlebnisregion Nürburgring
RUF
Circuito les Coves - Castellon
Rio Sport Plaza
Circuito les Coves - Castellon
Weltreiterspiele 2006
FSZ Koblenz
FSZ am Wachauring
Erlebniswelt Nürburgring

From the projections i've heard so far, the straight will be a bit faster than Lime Rock, and while there are some sharp turns, even from my driving on the computer of european tracks, they look on par to be pretty quick and not an abrupt sharp turn...1.8miles also means it'll be built quicker than if it was bigger lol

I had the same feeling about Monticello, but after driving the full course it feels more fluid, although it does not look as good as AMP in terms of packing a punch in a small course...as monticello is over 4 miles.

As long as its 40' wide in most places, i'd be happy...thats the big problem i see with a lot of new tracks, not wide enough.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
I am not going to say anything about the track yet. 1.8 miles with 120 feet of elevation just might change your mind. Lime Rock for example has two of the scariest turns you will see in motorsports. The uphill is crazy fast with no way to see what is in the track at the top. Then the downhill is harder to get right and has more pucker than T12 at Road Atlanta. All of this on a 1.53 mile track. This one has the opportunity to be a lot faster and a lot more fun!
I understand. But a track with a nice rhythm to it is much more fun to drive, IMO. The elevation certainly will be blast to navigate through.

BTW- I need to run the new toy over for you to check out.

C.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C.

That about sums it up for me too.

No memberships though, I don't think I could stand driving any track more than 5-6 times a year. I'd rather be traveling cross country. Or if I need to I'll use Jenks membership. I got the bald head look alike thing going and everything. Now just need 2 inches of height and I'll be good.

Quick Reply: AMP Track Unveiling at Hennessy Porsche - who went?