Lousy Boost Controller GReddy Profec B Spec 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lousy Boost Controller GReddy Profec B Spec 2

When I rebuilt my 944TS, my mechanic recommended that I install a GReddy Profec B Spec 2 boost controller. I already had a manual boost controller and was happy with it, but took the advice of my mechanic....my instinct was not to install an electronic control circuit in an already-operating manual control circuit.

It was installed less than a year ago and, in early June, I noted that, on my manual boost gauge, boost would go to 20-25 psig and I let off. Reprogrammed the unit again and nothing changed. I called a GReddy dealer and he said to install a new solenoid unit which I did and reprogrammed with the same result.

Took out the GReddy and reinstalled the manual boost controller and voila, I was again able to set my boost at 15 psig. I called Greddy for warranty information and was instructed to remove the unit and send it back to them for diagnosis. I asked them if they would pay for a rental while the controller was out and if they would pay my mechanic for his time.......no answer.

This is a laousy boost controller and GReddy has not yet honored their warranties.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot with EBC's and have had to frequently sort them out for various customers. The ProfecB Spec2 is a decent boost controller but if there are any mistakes in plumbing or setup it will not work properly or maybe even at all. Not long ago I had to correct an improperly installed Spec2 on a 3000GT VR4 that had been installed by a local shop who actually used to specialize in Greddy installations. Once properly hooked up and set up, the Spec 2 worked perfectly.
A much simpler and easier to use EBC is the AEM Tru-boost followed closely by the Turbosmart E-boost and thier new "street" boost controller. I have found that the HKS, Greddy, Blitz, and Apex'i controllers have gotten somewhat complex and are not as user friendly as they once were but do work well once they are set up.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mechanic and I had it plumbed and hooked up correctly.....it worked fine for a couple of months, just like it was expected to.

It crapped out...............
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same boost controller about 5 years ago. It worked alright at the beginning, but it only lasted a few months. It started just losing it's memory from time to time, as well as triggering the overboost alarm for no reason at all, then a few weeks later, it died completely and wouldn't even power up. I sent it in for warranty repairs and never saw it again. $300 down the toilet! I will never buy anything from GReddy again.

Quick Reply: Lousy Boost Controller GReddy Profec B Spec 2