Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Default Former F1 World Champion to Sign with USGP Team

Villeneuve to return to F1 with USF1
According to reports by the German newspaper 'Bild', former World Champion Jacques Villeneuve is closing in a on deal to return to Formula One with the new USF1 Team in 2010. Villeneuve didn't want to refer to USF1 but said to the publication: "It is true, I will return to Formula One."

According to 'Bild', the team would have its first car, designed at Charlotte, North Carolina, ready in October. USF1 would also be looking at Le Castellet, France, and Aragon, Spain, as their European base.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like there are a lot of misquotes out there.
I read he said "It is true, I *want to* return to Formula One"

I also read that USF1 responded that they are specifically looking for US drivers.

Who knows....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pete,

You've lately quoted many rumors that have not a lot to do with reality...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a big JV fan, sorry.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Not a big JV fan, sorry.
+1 Big head, diminishing skills.

C.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not a big fan of JV either.

Finn,

It's not like I write these quotes up myself. This was from f1technical.net. Not exactly f1 planet don't you think?

I can't recall if USF1 said they wanted a US driver or an "American" driver. Technically Villeneuve is an American driver (North American).

Finally, if your referring to Alonso taking Kimi's seat in 2010, I think it's absolutely positively going to happen. The announcement will be made in 7 weeks at Monza. You yourself said it was from a reliable source, just not Finnish. What difference does it make if it was Finnish or not, as long as it's true?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm not a big fan of JV either.

Finn,

It's not like I write these quotes up myself. This was from f1technical.net. Not exactly f1 planet don't you think?

I can't recall if USF1 said they wanted a US driver or an "American" driver. Technically Villeneuve is an American driver (North American).

Finally, if your referring to Alonso taking Kimi's seat in 2010, I think it's absolutely positively going to happen. The announcement will be made in 7 weeks at Monza. You yourself said it was from a reliable source, just not Finnish. What difference does it make if it was Finnish or not, as long as it's true?
Pete,

Settle down, I never meant to imply that this was something you "made up", my apologies if it looked that way.
Just that there are, and always will be, many rumors in F1 and we should be more critical regarding them.

I am also referring to Alonso/Kimi rumor, yes, the guy who the rumor (well, one of them) came from is close to Ferrari but still, it's far from being truth.

If something is true, I don't care whether it's from Finnish source or not but when reading rumors from Internet, there are certain places that write stupid **** more than real stuff (the wort example being Spanish media when it comes to Alonso rumors).
The Finnish side I wrote about in your other thread was not relevant in this sense at all. My point was that one Finnish magazine quote other source without having any real, or new information and the Finnish side for the whole thing was only the fact that people believed the "news" more because it came from Finnish source (even though it really didn't come from them, they just quoted someone else).

We've seen Wayne "burned" himself enough times that you should know by now how one ends up looking...

There will be an announcement made in Monza. That Alonso will drive for Ferrari. In 2011.

Here's another thing you probably don't see on those F1 sites (I'm not sure as I don't visit them):
BMW's next year driver line-up will be Kubica & Rosberg.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Pete,

You've lately quoted many rumors that have not a lot to do with reality...
I don't mean to sound defensive, but how do you or anyone else know if it's not "reality" if you don't give it time to play out?

Danica Patrick going to USF1 is not grounded in reality, but JV, as over the hill as he is, could bring sponsorship and at least some technical knowledge to help this team get up off the ground.

Personally I don't know why they have to limit themselves to an American driver. It would be nice because it's a team based in the US, but this is an international competition. Americans (including Canadians) consist of appx. 5% of the worlds population. Why put limitations on yourself? I never understood the German teams need to "Have" a German driver. BTW, just to make your head explode event more, Haug "rumors" are that he wants a German driver at McLaren. We know Hamilton isn't going anywhere that leaves....

As nationalistic as Ferrari is, they have an almost polar opposite philosophy when it comes to drivers. They seem to exclusively deny Italian drivers any opportunity to drive for them.

Anyway Finn, we see what transpires at Monza. It's always a good show for the race and announcements.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They could do much better. JV is a headcase. I'm amazed that he can find sponsorship. One of the knocks against him was that he would not cooperate with sponsors, do the handshake thing, commercials, etc...

I agree on the American thing, stupid. If there is a very talented American driver, great. Otherwise, get the best driver that you can.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Villeneuve is a joke
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
Villeneuve is a joke
..who won a world championship over Michael Schumacher....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arkadi
They could do much better. JV is a headcase. I'm amazed that he can find sponsorship. One of the knocks against him was that he would not cooperate with sponsors, do the handshake thing, commercials, etc...
He had the ability to negotiate it into his contract with BAR that his personal appearances were limited. I am sure most of the drivers would be happy to be able to do that. BAT was still very happy with him and would have continued to dump money if not for that ban on adverts. When he signed with Sauber he did the same stuff all the other drivers did he just was not as good a driver as he once was in F1.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I don't mean to sound defensive, but how do you or anyone else know if it's not "reality" if you don't give it time to play out?

Danica Patrick going to USF1 is not grounded in reality, but JV, as over the hill as he is, could bring sponsorship and at least some technical knowledge to help this team get up off the ground.

Personally I don't know why they have to limit themselves to an American driver. It would be nice because it's a team based in the US, but this is an international competition. Americans (including Canadians) consist of appx. 5% of the worlds population. Why put limitations on yourself? I never understood the German teams need to "Have" a German driver. BTW, just to make your head explode event more, Haug "rumors" are that he wants a German driver at McLaren. We know Hamilton isn't going anywhere that leaves....

As nationalistic as Ferrari is, they have an almost polar opposite philosophy when it comes to drivers. They seem to exclusively deny Italian drivers any opportunity to drive for them.

Anyway Finn, we see what transpires at Monza. It's always a good show for the race and announcements.
I agree, USF1 is making a mistake with the concept that both of their drivers have to be American. It's a nice concept and might bring maybe even some extra money (and fans) but in the end, you need a driver (at least one) who can develop car well and is quick.
Unfortunately US open wheel (& other) series are not as good as European series when it comes to grooming a race driver for F1, it's just a fact.
One US driver of course but the other, get someone who will get you somewhere...

Yes, McLaren hasn't used their option for Heikki's 3rd year and are looking for a German driver but they don't have anyone good enough available. They wanted Nico (he's only 1/2 German but since he switched from Finnish license to German, he'd do) but since he's driving for BMW next season, that leaves Heidfeld and Glock but both of them are not good as Heikki so they're not sure what to do. We'll see but not in this month as it was thought to be at some point. McLaren has no reason to rush this so it might take a while.

One good news: Webber took a pay cut so he'll be back at Red Bull next year.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I read that this morning too. How ironic that Webber takes his first win, not by a fluke, drive through penalty and still dominated the race and the next week he takes a pay cut.

Good for him. He's got a tough teammate and he's not afraid to battle him one on one. It's hard to argue that Red Bull doesn't have the best two driver lineup to match a car that could be the best on grid right now.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Since we're on the subject of Canadians

Montreal planning five-year deal
23 July 2009

Montreal is planning a new proposal with a bid to bringing Formula One back to its city after losing the Grand Prix this year. A new government-backed scheme will be presented to F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone after eight months' planning, local media report.

A breaking up track surface caused problems last year
With the Quebec city having seen no F1 in town this year for the first time since 1975, the Gilles Villeneuve circuit and indeed a Formula One return to North America could be seen in 2010. Reports in the country suggest than a deal for a minimum of five years is on the cards and one which would clear up past issues between Ecclestone and race promoter Norman Legault, who allegedly owed the former $12m (£6.6m) in hosting fees.

A arrangement from 2010 up to and including 2015 would come in at around C$175m (£97m), Ecclestone is believed to have stated, meaning a sum of C$35m (£19.4m) per race. Although no agreement has yet been confirmed, dates for any return next season surround the weekend of 4-5-6 June.

Quick Reply: Former F1 World Champion to Sign with USGP Team