Sponsored by:

NT-01 in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NT-01 in the rain?

I'm relatively new to R compounds and have a set of Nitto NT-01's. I'm trying to avoid the rain but living in the Northeast makes that a bit difficult.

If there's light rain and a moist track (not pouring/soaking), should I be nervous with these tires?
Anyone have any experience with the NT-01s in the rain?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am always nervous in the rain. Nitto does not recommend it as a wet tire it the tread design not the compound. It does not have the grooving to channel water away. That said we were at Putnam park this weekend in the rain and people were out there with R6's. (not going vary fast) So it is like anything else, if its all you got and you are determined to run in the ran you will find they do not have a high tolerance for water.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
I'm relatively new to R compounds and have a set of Nitto NT-01's. I'm trying to avoid the rain but living in the Northeast makes that a bit difficult.

If there's light rain and a moist track (not pouring/soaking), should I be nervous with these tires?

Depends highly on the surface of the track. A more aggressive tarmac it will likely be ok. But, I would rather reserve some caution as they are not specified as a rain tire by Nitto.

C.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:38 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I have run in wet conditions at Spring Mountain Motorsports park with half way worn NT-01s with surprisingly great results. Of course you have to slow down and be on your "A" game, but it was a good time to practice car control and find/feel for the grip. Only had one issue coming out of a negative camber tight corner leading onto a straight with which I applied too much gas and had a little tank slapper but pulled it off.
I would go for it, just slowly build up speed and feel for the grip.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Good rule of thumb for R-comps and rain is if there is spray then you need a full tread tire. If there isn't spray coming from the track then you are okay and will be faster with R-comps.

Nasa enduro at Road Atlanta last month it rained on us several times during the race. We were using full tread Nitto NT01s and they were great. There were sections of the track where it was soaked with lots of spray coming off the track. These weren't as grippy as a Hoosier rain tire but they were about as good as your average street tire. It was fun sliding the car around with them though!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Nasa enduro at Road Atlanta last month it rained on us several times during the race. We were using full tread Nitto NT01s and they were great. There were sections of the track where it was soaked with lots of spray coming off the track. These weren't as grippy as a Hoosier rain tire but they were about as good as your average street tire. It was fun sliding the car around with them though!
I managed to run r6's for the entire enduro, although I did have to tiptoe through T1 quite a few times.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I managed to run r6's for the entire enduro, although I did have to tiptoe through T1 quite a few times.
LOL, that was the only way I could pass you in your high horsepower Pcar!

I was in the Spec E30 #36

Just kidding. Car looked good out there.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce

They are pretty good in the rain assuming they have decent tread.. Assuming they are still new. (That was my limited experience answer)

(Now my personal answer to you) Please don't crash my 993.. I'd be pissed!!

Signed

PO
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
(Now my personal answer to you) Please don't crash my 993.. I'd be pissed!!

Signed

PO
lol!

I've been taking good care of her... don't worry. She really is a beast and a blast to drive.

It looks like you have a serious new machine on your hands.
Love the livery. Any other pictures to share?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
LOL, that was the only way I could pass you in your high horsepower Pcar!
I was in the Spec E30 #36
Just kidding. Car looked good out there.
I was first behind the pace car early in the race when it started to really rain. There was no way I was going to go into T1 with that angry pack of e30's behind me. So, I followed the pace car down pit lane and took on gas. Turned out to be a smart move as it stopped raining and you guys cleared T1 a bit before I came out

High Horsepower Pcar - just goes to show you that everything is relative
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Would you consider this spray?
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Would you consider this spray?
I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite some time now.....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 PM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a relatively new set of NT-01s around the Glen about a month ago in one of the wettest two day events ever. It was quite slippery, especially on the crack sealer they have all over the track. Changes from the concrete to the pavement and over the sealer in between created quite an exciting weekend. When the track was just moist, they worked OK but if there is standing water, stay in or change to streets.

Quick Reply: NT-01 in the rain?