Instructing non standard sedans.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VaSteve
You had my brother at Summit main in the black E-series as well a couple years ago. Also an M-B employee with the company leaser.

And I recall we had a lot of fun. He was an excellent driver and I think we left just enough of the rotors for him to make it to when he returned the lease vehicle shortly after the event.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Kurt - I get this too. In sum, the line is still the line and smoothness is even more important in a heavy car with (often) a less than sporty suspension. I mentally adjust my braking point queues to allow for the higher weight and in most cases brakes that will overheat after a few laps. Other than that it is the same as a PCA event.

Best,
That is what I have seen as well. The threads about the (...large multi door car from a famous German auto maker that will go unnamed to preserve the civility of the thread) got me thinking a bit about tricks of the trade for large cars.
A car is a car and a driver is a driver. Adapt and adjust as needed to get the desired result. For me the "result" is getting out of the car in the paddock after having a happy chat with the student about the last run and what we plan to work on in the next one. No flat beds involved. Brakes seem to be a common theme. I had an SS monti carlo that was set up for stock car type racing at VIR years ago. Great fun but heavy and brake hungry.
I plan to instruct with MB a bit next year and will get a good idea of what the wife’s float boat E class will do on track. "Gosh dear I have no idea why the tires look all chewed up on the sides...how was your weekend at the beach with the kids?"

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Try instructing from the rear. Back seat drivers know everything!
My 5.5 year old daughter recently figured out that she wants to remind me all about stop lights when ever she sees one. Including genuinely admonishing me for rolling through an intersection under a yellow. I found myself explaining my actions until I came to my senses and misdirected her. Look! A bunny!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I instructed in an Audi RS4. Very competant car, Great power and brakes...just more body lean than I expected. Having autocrossed the Jetta a bit, more body lean there too than desired.. So.. do everything you usually do, just don't panic when the doorhandles come close to rubbing the pavement.. its probably still ok!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Kurt,

I've had a few sessions with drivers of AMG Mercedes. The good news is that you'll get "Brake Overheat" warnings before the brakes let go - if that's some consolation

Be wary of tire wear as there isn't negative camber available on those cars and the shoulders will take a beating. Other than that they go fairly well on the track, better than I would have expected.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
And I recall we had a lot of fun. He was an excellent driver and I think we left just enough of the rotors for him to make it to when he returned the lease vehicle shortly after the event.

Yeah, he got all the talent.

The tires were pretty chunked up as well.

Originally Posted by racer
Last year I instructed in an Audi RS4. Very competant car, Great power and brakes...just more body lean than I expected. Having autocrossed the Jetta a bit, more body lean there too than desired.. So.. do everything you usually do, just don't panic when the doorhandles come close to rubbing the pavement.. its probably still ok!
Remember that Swedish guy from the AX school with the VW? Now that was body lean. I wonder if that car made it home.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I recently became a PCA certified instructor and haven't yet had the chance to instruct in a "non standard" car. However, I'll be ready from a recent experience. Earlier this year, before I attended my ITS, I did a DE in my 5800lb V10 turbo diesel Touareg in the advanced group. The clutch in my 993 had started to slip a week earlier and my wife wouldn't let me take her R32 so I had no other options. When I showed up to the track I know that everybody was wondering what the heck a Touareg was doing there let alone in the advanced group. But by the end of the weekend I couldn't have gotten more attention if I was driving a Lambo. The Touareg did great and I got all kinds of kudos on how I handled the car. People followed me in awe. When it rained on Sunday morning I was even eating up the group and passing E46 M3s. I had a hoot even if I did chew up my front tires which were Goodyear Forturas. Some nice Cayenne 21" takeoffs would have been nice.

Bottom line, adjusting for brake, tire, weight, suspension, etc., limitations, just about any car can be tracked. I look forward to instructing in a "non standard" car.

Quick Reply: Instructing non standard sedans.