Sponsored by:

Running R-Compounds (R888) for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by himself
I never really experienced the "no noise then let go" thing with R-comps. They talked a lot at the limit. Not as much as street tires, but more than a true slick. And I never had one just let go (other than a blow out). It is always a progressive release. And even over the limit the tires still have some grip as they don't drop off to zero instantly. It's usually just enough grip to save your backside.

-td
Agreed.... Even when I corded my tires this past weekend, I knew something was up as I started to slip and slide, but even then they never fully let go and there is plenty of warning, it's progressive with the Toyo R888's and same with the Hoosier R6's, just a bit less !

38 hot all around worked best for me with the R888, or even 36/38 too, wasn't sure which I preferred more!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted some reactions to R888 in previous posts of mine - if you search on my ID, you should find them.

I heard they wanted to be scrubbed in, so I ran them on the street for about 400 miles (100 around here, 300 on the way to Watkins Glen). I heard they didn't need to be Heat Cycled, and I found the opposite. Day 1 they were terrible in many ways. Day 2 they were hugely better. Biggest problem was getting the pressures right. In the end, I spiked them 17 PSI driver's rear down to about 14 PSI passenger front if my memory serves me. So, Cold 22 went to Hot 39. That's a huge change in pressure... Anything over 39 lost it, so was really trying to stick with the 35-38 range with about 1 PSI lower in the front.

Weather was dry, so I swapped left to right to even out the wear. Note that this may not be advised because the tires are directional, but I figured that was for the wet. Anyone know for sure? They ran fine swapped on an 80 degree day.

Quick Reply: Running R-Compounds (R888) for the first time