Sponsored by:

Calabogie: tire goes pop [video]

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
that tire is brand new on the outside and gone on the inside. either way too much toe out in the rear or some real excessive camber or both.
I'm pretty sure that nothing has changed setup-wise. I'll have to bust out the smart camber plates and verify.

Calabogie is an AWESOME track and if you can, make your way there. It's well worth it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 AM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you and your car is okay...
I tend to disagree with the abrasive part, Calabogie's pavement is as smooth as a baby's behind.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
U4EEAH
Racer

Default Lesson learned

Good lesson for EVERYONE. That tire was corded for a long time. Get on your hands and knees with a flashlight before EVERY run
Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

+1
That tire didn't JUST hit cord. It appears to have been run on cord for a while. Just a guess that the other side was the same or worse.

Really glad there was no damage or injury!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
glad you and your car is okay...
I tend to disagree with the abrasive part, Calabogie's pavement is as smooth as a baby's behind.
Smooth yes, but it shreds tires.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JR944
+1
That tire didn't JUST hit cord. It appears to have been run on cord for a while. Just a guess that the other side was the same or worse.

Really glad there was no damage or injury!
I agree 100%

It was my first and only day @ Calabogie and I was having way too much fun and was totally occupied with staying on the track as much as possible. Yes, it's that good of a track. It's my favorite track! So I wasn't doing my normal checks on the car and it was totally my fault. Earlier in the day I did check my tires and they still looked good. I was on the track for approximately 45 minutes before the tire popped.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JClark
Smooth yes, but it shreds tires.
I agree. The surface is in awesome condition, but I heard it has a sealer on it which could be a factor. VIR recently put a "sealer" on the surface and I would guess it will be a bit harder now on tires too.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
donmcl
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Rob in VA;6722986]My left rear tire popped while on track at Calabogie last week.

Luckily it wasn't an issue and nothing was damaged.

[url]http://www.vimeo.com/55

Hi Rob,

I was marshalling that day (inside 8). You say there was no warning signs. I think there were warning signs but that you missed them.

You had been getting better all day long. Then you spun once. You spun again a couple of laps later. You then got loose in corner 8. I called it in. Control suggested you were getting tired. I countered that I thought it was your tires that were getting tired. Next time around in corner 5 your tire blew.

I'm glad there was no damage, and hope to see you at Calabogie again,
Don
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by U4EEAH
Good lesson for EVERYONE. That tire was corded for a long time. Get on your hands and knees with a flashlight before EVERY run
Hi Kevin
Are you going to be racing at Mosport this weekend? I am attending the DE and helping out with timing.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by donmcl
Hi Rob,

I was marshalling that day (inside 8). You say there was no warning signs. I think there were warning signs but that you missed them.

You had been getting better all day long. Then you spun once. You spun again a couple of laps later. You then got loose in corner 8. I called it in. Control suggested you were getting tired. I countered that I thought it was your tires that were getting tired. Next time around in corner 5 your tire blew.

I'm glad there was no damage, and hope to see you at Calabogie again,
Don
Hey Don, thanks for keeping an eye on me. I had a blast learning your track and was trying to pick up more speed and was having so much fun doing so. The car felt really loose and I wasn't sure what it was. I thought it was the track getting greasy after talking with a track veteran (Matt, white Radical) and he said the track gets much slower in the day.

Besides getting squirrely, which was hella fun, the only other indication was the new vibration I started feeling going down the straight.

The first spin you mentioned was my first time ever spinning in the GT3 and I'm still pissed that it happened. I basically gave up on trying to save it. . The second spin wasn't a spin, I just got a bit sideways (way too many times).

I really look forward to getting back there and I'll be sure to thank you in person.

Thanks Don.

Quick Reply: Calabogie: tire goes pop [video]