Sponsored by:

Installing Wheel Studs Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Wheel Studs Q

Not sure if this would be the place to post this question. I bought the stud Kit to replace the wheel bolts. I asked if I should use some locktight thinking the answer would be yes but then to recommend which kind. to my surprise I was told not to use it as it heats up and when hot it acts like a lube to allow the stud to work loose.
Looking for recommendations and experience with it/

also, Do you still use an air wrench with the stud kit or do you have to do by hand hereafter?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the studs are seated and torqued into place properly, you should have no problem using a torque wrench on them, IMO. As for the locktite, I did not use it on the studs I put on my BMW M3. No problems whatsoever upon doing so. The key is putting them in place with a proper tightening.

C.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I used high temp red locktite. The studs I got are just long enough to fit my BBS wheels, easily long enough for the others. If I put them in as far as I could, then they would not be long enough. How long are the studs you bought, and what wheels are you using?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use locktite...the directions that come with the studs we use recommend red locktite and torquing them into the hub at around 15 ft lbs IIRC.

Even heated, locktite does not act a lube. I've had to heat the studs red hot (i.e. much hotter than the hub gets from your brakes) in order to break down the locktite to remove some of the stuck studs in the past.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:37 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I would use locktite...the directions that come with the studs we use recommend red locktite and torquing them into the hub at around 15 ft lbs IIRC.

Even heated, locktite does not act a lube. I've had to heat the studs red hot (i.e. much hotter than the hub gets from your brakes) in order to break down the locktite to remove some of the stuck studs in the past.
+1

Loctite 272 is red high temp.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Do you still use an air wrench with the stud kit or do you have to do by hand hereafter?
I did not install them myself, but I do use and impact gun and so far so good.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I used high temp red locktite. The studs I got are just long enough to fit my BBS wheels, easily long enough for the others. If I put them in as far as I could, then they would not be long enough. How long are the studs you bought, and what wheels are you using?
65mm and the stock 997-3 rims
Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

i used red locktite, never had prob, i also use impact wrench on it.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

+1, red locktite on both the SPBOX and the 964, no problems.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Not sure if this would be the place to post this question. I bought the stud Kit to replace the wheel bolts. I asked if I should use some locktight thinking the answer would be yes but then to recommend which kind. to my surprise I was told not to use it as it heats up and when hot it acts like a lube to allow the stud to work loose.
Looking for recommendations and experience with it/

also, Do you still use an air wrench with the stud kit or do you have to do by hand hereafter?
i did this 7 years ago on my 996c2 and did not use locktite and had no issues.
however, i regretted doing it because the ease to put wheels back on was minimal and the look was not nice to me....
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
however, i regretted doing it because the ease to put wheels back on was minimal and the look was not nice to me....
If you think wheel bolts are "easy", you obviously don't change wheels tires enough. When pulling tires to nut/bolt the suspension 4-6 times per day, 12+ times per weekend, you quickly realize that wheel bolts are a huge pain. That doesn't even get into changing a wheel in the pits...

I can't imagine NOT using locktite on something as important as a wheel stud.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think wheel bolts are "easy", you obviously don't change wheels tires enough. When pulling tires to nut/bolt the suspension 4-6 times per day, 12+ times per weekend, you quickly realize that wheel bolts are a huge pain. That doesn't even get into changing a wheel in the pits...

I can't imagine NOT using locktite on something as important as a wheel stud.
It was on a street car... For race cars, I always used center locks and air jacks
Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
It was on a street car... For race cars, I always used center locks and air jacks
Unfortunately, few of us race in classes or at a level where center locks are allowed. They are certainly an easier solution. For a street car, sure, I see no reason to use studs, but I assumed we were talking about track/race cars here in this forum.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:04 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

HA! Proof the 944 IS a performance car!

Twas delivered from the factory with studs Though it did use aluminum lugnuts... at least steel nuts are cheap to retrofit.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

but I assumed we were talking about track/race cars here in this forum.
We were, I do about 15 track events per year, and because I rotate the tires on the rims I find myself swapping tires side to side at the track. Using that little guide bar is a pain in of itself. With my bad back trying to balance the tire on the hub is truly in fact for me a "pain" . I will be going with the red locktight on the install. Did not make sense not to but hey what better place to smoke out a myth then on rennlist.

Quick Reply: Installing Wheel Studs Q