Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Failure Second Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
bad soden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Failure Second Time

I track a 2006 MINI Cooper S. Yea I didn't listen to you wise voices when I started and leave the car alone till I could drive it. So now I find myself with a full on MINI "race" car. Full cage .... ect.

My problem. About 2 and 1/2 years ago I put a coilover set up on the car. The set up was AST's and some MINI aftermarket camber plates. This set up failed first time out. What happened was it sheared the shaft on the shock where it enters the camber plate.

Ok the vendor replaced the coilover and said what we need to do is change the camber plates to a different brand. These where ordered through the shop I use so don't know the brand. This set up has been of the car for close to two years.

Last weekend third session out on my out lap it happens again. Same failure as before. It's failing on the drivers side front.

Talking to the vendor he's stopped selling AST's and wants to go with another setup. KW's and another type camber plate. He'll work with me on the price and I'd get the set up for I'd guess less than half price, as well I should.

Now here's my problem. The MINI aftermarket parts business is made up of lot's of little Mom and Pop companies that have no budget for testing. I'm sure that the new setup is not test to what I do. I do about 30 plus track days a year.

What I'm thinking about doing is say to hell with it and just bite the bullet and get a set of JRZ's or something of that ilk. I believe that the JRZ's come with there own camber plates.

I've been luckier than I should have been, both of these failures have been on the out laps.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Sounds like a problem of an improperly fitting shock shaft in the camber plate. Sure that the correct spacers, clearances, etc, are being used? Something is obviously inherently wrong about your setup.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
bad soden

I've had a local shop do the work and they are supposed to know what they are doing. The second time lasted close to two years.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

There is still something inherently wrong with the design/setup if they are breaking from normal use. There are plenty of "good" shops out there that just simply lack the knowledge to know what they are doing wrong. The Mini runs a strut, front and rear, right?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
bad soden

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
There is still something inherently wrong with the design/setup if they are breaking from normal use. There are plenty of "good" shops out there that just simply lack the knowledge to know what they are doing wrong. The Mini runs a strut, front and rear, right?
Correct, the camber plates in the set ups I've had bolt from the bottom side of the shock tower.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I would be interested to see how the strut and the springs mount with regards to the camber plates.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

JRZs don't come with camber plates on any cars AFAIK.

I'd suspect there's something limiting the shock shaft's range of motion. Perhaps your monoball is seizing, the collar is bumping into the camber plate, or whatever. But if the shaft needs to move but can't, then somehting breaks.

You might remove the springs, reinstall the shock, then move it (by hand or jack) through the range of travel. Does it ever run out of range of motion?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Either the shafts were overtightened or like Eric said there is something putting a bending load into the shafts, neither of which shock shafts will tolerate.

Are your springs pigtailed, ground flat at their ends or normal type where the coil end is just chopped off?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bad soden
I've had a local shop do the work and they are supposed to know what they are doing. The second time lasted close to two years.
Change them every year. Are you hitting the turtles hard on the drivers side?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 445 Posts

Re Camber plates I would check with the boys @ Vorshlag www.vorshlag.com
for the proper AST camber plate.

Peter

Quick Reply: Shock Failure Second Time