Sponsored by:

why does the crew push a race car after a pit stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Racing clutches and gear ratio. On series where there is a rolling start, there is no need for a low 1st gear, so those are the crews where you typically see the crew pushing off the pit lane.

In F1 where they have a standing start, the 1st gear ratio is much lower. You never see an F1 crew push a car.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I could have used a few pushes off the grid this past weekend as I was running a Stohr WF1 for the first time at the Sprints. I stalled it a number of times. When I got back in the SRF, I nearly stalled it due to the difference in clutch feel.

______
Jason
Old 06-22-2009, 10:24 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Yeah, I could have used a few pushes off the grid this past weekend as I was running a Stohr WF1 for the first time at the Sprints. I stalled it a number of times. When I got back in the SRF, I nearly stalled it due to the difference in clutch feel.

______
Jason
How did you do in the Stohr and how did you like it?

The motorcycle clutches get really difficult at high temps - they are on or off and not much in between.

The other question is - did you try to rev the SRF To 13,000 rpm? First time I jumped back in an SRF after my Stohr, I just could not get used to the sound and lack of revs for a while.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

I'm gonna have to bring some people with me to the next club race to push me off.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I'm gonna have to bring some people with me to the next club race to push me off.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
How did you do in the Stohr and how did you like it?

The motorcycle clutches get really difficult at high temps - they are on or off and not much in between.

The other question is - did you try to rev the SRF To 13,000 rpm? First time I jumped back in an SRF after my Stohr, I just could not get used to the sound and lack of revs for a while.
Qualified 4th with a 2:12. Weekend was pretty ****ty overall as I blew the engine in Q2 (despite short-shifting the entire weekend at less than 12000). Fastest guys were below 2:10 which was my goal for the race. Didn't run the race.

SRF wasn't much better as I was running top 3 times during the test day (2:40 flat). Ended up qualifying 10th in traffic. Had a MAF sensor come loose on the opening lap of the race and watched 50+ cars steamroll by. Those rumble strips are rough.

Loved the Stohr though. It felt like a fighter jet. I still can't believe what it was capable of. It made the SRF feel like a school bus. I think I will park the SRF for a while.

______
Jason
Old 06-22-2009, 11:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,904 Likes on 1,724 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Your not too far off. I push my kid everytime off the grid after starting her kart on the grid. You can fry a clutch just sitting there trying to get started. Ask ltc
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Qualified 4th with a 2:12. Weekend was pretty ****ty overall as I blew the engine in Q2 (despite short-shifting the entire weekend at less than 12000). Fastest guys were below 2:10 which was my goal for the race. Didn't run the race.

SRF wasn't much better as I was running top 3 times during the test day (2:40 flat). Ended up qualifying 10th in traffic. Had a MAF sensor come loose on the opening lap of the race and watched 50+ cars steamroll by. Those rumble strips are rough.

Loved the Stohr though. It felt like a fighter jet. I still can't believe what it was capable of. It made the SRF feel like a school bus. I think I will park the SRF for a while.

______
Jason
Impressive performance in both classes with bad luck. Who owned the WF1?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Barfly
Racer

Impressive performance in both classes with bad luck. Who owned the WF1?
It was Jean-Luc's car. Can't wait to take it to the Glen next month where he holds the track record at a 1:51.

______
Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Your not too far off. I push my kid everytime off the grid after starting her kart on the grid. You can fry a clutch just sitting there trying to get started. Ask ltc
Been there, done that.
The new KF clutches are VERY fragile (re: expensive) with regards to a standing start.
We always push them just like we would an ICC (KZ2) shifter...always fun to watch a rookie pushing a shifter and as soon as it starts and takes off, face plant into the asphalt...a ritual that every Dad has to go thru...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
In F1 where they have a standing start, the 1st gear ratio is much lower. You never see an F1 crew push a car.
This is because of their anti-stall electronics -- no need to push the car.

For other open wheel series, pushing the car is simply to avoid the dreaded stall and to decrease the outlap time as much as possible. Also there is a bonus in minimizing drivetrain stress.

As mentioned above, if in for fuel only, if the driver doesnt quite get the tire lit up, you can easily twist driveshafts. Ovals are the worst since you have a spool and tire stagger. If the tires grip in the pit box, it plays hell on the drivetrain.

Buddy Rice was really hard on driveshafts. Its not uncommon for a two car Indycar team that has one car with driveshafts that twist at a different rate than the sister car even with similar mileages. Often times driveshafts are pitched when they twist a certain amount, not necessarily soley on mileage. Some teams count the pitstops that are on them.

So, any stress the crew can minimize by pushing the tractor off the pit box is worth the effort.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

It was Jean-Luc's car. Can't wait to take it to the Glen next month where he holds the track record at a 1:51.

______
Jason
I kind of suspected that from the car number (he never gets #8 at the Sprints). That car is insane in its development level - titanium brake rotors, etc, etc. Have fun in it. Are you considering buying it - if so, you can't get a better WF1 out there and Jean-Luc is a great guy and straight shooter. (I know him from both my SRF and DSR days.)
Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hardracing
Or even more so, Try taking a Carrera GT Out, and see what it's like to drive a Car with a Lightweight Carbon Clutch.

Very easy to stall from Dead stop.

I disagree. The electronic assists make the GT easy to start for any driver. I've found that a RSR is harder to launch than a GT.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Barfly
Racer

I kind of suspected that from the car number (he never gets #8 at the Sprints). That car is insane in its development level - titanium brake rotors, etc, etc. Have fun in it. Are you considering buying it - if so, you can't get a better WF1 out there and Jean-Luc is a great guy and straight shooter. (I know him from both my SRF and DSR days.)
Bought it. Great deal with a very nice spare package. It is a great car, and Jean-Luc and Chris Young are both great.

Mark, you were the one that got me going down this slippery slope 2 years ago!! I started in SRF on your recommendation, and now look where I am, in a Stohr.

I won't get rid of the SRF though. It's hard to find a better wheel-to-wheel package.

______
Jason
Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Been there, done that.
The new KF clutches are VERY fragile (re: expensive) with regards to a standing start.
We always push them just like we would an ICC (KZ2) shifter...always fun to watch a rookie pushing a shifter and as soon as it starts and takes off, face plant into the asphalt...a ritual that every Dad has to go thru...
Bahhh ..............................................

Quick Reply: why does the crew push a race car after a pit stop