Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driver and DE car for teenager

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, i dont have a problem with a boxster, or 2 seater cars, frankly im sick of having a large car, because i have been dubed the driver on most outings with my friends and 95% of the time those in the back seat complain rather frequently about the rules of shotgun and what not. so i'm looking foward to having a smaller car.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
My son is in need of a new car. He is 17 and had wanted something for drifting. I solved that by taking him over to Driveway Austin and letting Bill Dolahite take him out in my 997. Now drifting is out and he wants to learn how to drive and do DEs with me (but dad still doesn't know anything).

So what kind of car to get him? The obvious choice is a miata. but he says that is a chick car and wouldn't be caught dead in it. He said the same thing about a boxster. Did I mention he was 17? I'm not springing for a 911 but was thinking about a 928. Some great deals out there on 928s. He was thinking of an S2000(boxster a chick car but the S2000 isn't).

Last night he asked about a 944. Less HP (and torque) than a 928 but more money.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and a car that would **** off my ex-wife would be a plus
BMW M3
Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW E36 or E46 M3... As much as I love Porsche, and others mentioned, I learned a lot from the M3's on and off the track, they are just so fantastically balanced, usable on a daily basis and then hit the track and it's a blast.. Very reliable from my experiences too (until supercharging the E46 like an idiot)
Old 06-21-2009, 08:50 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
We're quite the bunch of crochity old bastiges aren't we...
yes ...that comes with old age and screwing things up every now and then.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gotta vote for a 914, when I was his age that was what I was bombing around in and it was a blast.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Viper.

Go big or go home.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
My 16 year old (daughter) won't be caught dead in the Viper. I'm thinking an old $1500 V8 clunker, then we can sell it to Uncle Sam for $4K when they start the de-clunker program.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Gotta vote for a 914, when I was his age that was what I was bombing around in and it was a blast.
914s are great track driving learning cars...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
My son is in need of a new car. He is 17 and had wanted something for drifting. I solved that by taking him over to Driveway Austin and letting Bill Dolahite take him out in my 997. Now drifting is out and he wants to learn how to drive and do DEs with me (but dad still doesn't know anything).

So what kind of car to get him? The obvious choice is a miata. but he says that is a chick car and wouldn't be caught dead in it. He said the same thing about a boxster. Did I mention he was 17? I'm not springing for a 911 but was thinking about a 928. Some great deals out there on 928s. He was thinking of an S2000(boxster a chick car but the S2000 isn't).

Last night he asked about a 944. Less HP (and torque) than a 928 but more money.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and a car that would **** off my ex-wife would be a plus
How about a Camry? Seriously, what are you thinking in giving a kid a Porsche?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
My 16 year old (daughter) won't be caught dead in the Viper. I'm thinking an old $1500 V8 clunker, then we can sell it to Uncle Sam for $4K when they start the de-clunker program.
LOL!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 08-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
C'mon, Mike. When have you ever known of a RL thread to actually stay on topic?
Sorry, dunno what I was thinking.

It's torque that matters. ...I think...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Tell him to come to terms with the homosexuality of the miata because that's what he is getting. MUCH cheaper to run/maintain than a 911/914/944/m3/etc etc. They are fun cars and they have a fantastic spec series that is extremely competitive if he ever wants to move up to racing.

Honestly if he is going to complain about you GIVING him a car to track, he doesn't have the maturity level to be on a track and drive a performance car at high speeds. Trust me, I did my first DE within a month of turning 16. I love the fact that your son wants to do it and you support him. I am fortunate enough to have a father that supports it as well. But when not taken in the right mindset, it can become very dangerous. You need to let him know who is boss and give him a big reality check.

I started my track endeavours with a 300hp subaru and it was great fun, but I wish I had gotten my spec miata sooner. The two cars you can learn the most in are a spec miata and an older 911 (both of which I have had the privilege to drive). Because an older 911 requires a much higher skillset to successfuly drive, the miata is a great place to start. I suggest getting a spec miata and for the first 5 or so events, running on a high performance street tire so he can learn the limits of the car.

If he really is that hellbent on not running a miata and you don't have the heart to force him, the S2000 is the next best thing. Car handles great, is relatively light for a new car (~2800lbs I believe), and has decent power (220-240hp depending on year). I would personally really push the miata because of the versatility of the car, but the S2000 is also a great choice. Parts and labor will be much cheaper than any porsche or bmw. And now that I have tried to talk you out of it, I do have a good track prepped BMW E36 M3 for sale... haha

good luck
Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 AM
TR6
Drifting

How about a Z3 M Coupe. It has tons of cool factor and is a hoot on the track. Plenty of power to get him in all kinds of trouble on or off the track. Bullet proof S52 BMW straight six. And guaranteed to **** off his mom!
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

^^agreed, My money would be on a Z3 coupe, though it's probably a little more than $7k

Quick Reply: Daily driver and DE car for teenager