Track wheels (and tires)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
So you were losing all the DE's before you went to lighter wheels?
Oh I'm sorry, if I'm just a lowly DE guy I should have no desire to improve my car or my skills?

Or, just maybe would you allow that someone (even in a pursuit as lowly as a DE) might want to put better equipment on his or her car or try to improve his or her skills even if it is not for a pursuit as lofty and high as the coveted "996 spec cup"?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Oh I'm sorry, if I'm just a lowly DE guy I should have no desire to improve my car or my skills?

Or, just maybe would you allow that someone (even in a pursuit as lowly as a DE) might want to put better equipment on his or her car or try to improve his or her skills even if it is not for a pursuit as lofty and high as the coveted "996 spec cup"?

I'm mostly a DE guy who does a little bit of racing, and not all that well at it either. I just prefer spending my time and money making myself faster rather than my car. The way I see it, if you drop a 1/2 second off your lap time because of lighter wheels, what have you accomplished? On the other hand, if you spend that extra cash you saved on cheap wheels to attend more events, and drop two or three seconds because YOU get faster, isn't that more gratifying?

jmho, & different strokes, yadda yadda...
Old 06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
jmho, & different strokes, yadda yadda...
Fair enough....nothing wrong with a difference of opinion.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The on track benefit (in terms of speeds/lap times) will come largely from the R comp track tires and only to a very small degree the weight of the wheels. The track wheels facilitate being able to use track tires but make no mistake, the biggest difference will come from the tires. If the goal is to improve driving, the best equipment investment is data.

Quick Reply: Track wheels (and tires)