Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Spec Racing - What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack this thread in any way..............

But there is a rumor that the Texas Boxster boys will be heading to High Plains Raceway to meet head to head with the California Boxster boys/girls. Any truth to that JR in Tejas?

High Plains is brand new, super smooth, super wide and caters to cars that can handle well and drivers that can drive well.

Mike Q
Old school E class Euro SC
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Hey Mike, I assume you are the D guy I raced last year.. why no Watkins this year?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Gary,

The Watkins Glen race is our fav out here in Colorado. This year we did not organize early to fill the 10-car "Camry-delivery-hauler". The boys that showed, Martin - wreck, then win two sprints, then blow motor, and Petty - run fast, wreck, get helicopter ride and CT scan, were hurtin' cowboys. Our man Speights also decorated the racing surface with 14 quarts. The rest of us were glad we didn't show up after that! That said, Tony Clinton and Chris Cervelli represented us well. See you next year as WG IS the crack pipe of Club Racing. And yes, the thread has been officially hijacked!

BTW - Bill Petty is doing quite well. Just needs to fix car by the HPR race in Aug.

Mike Q
Formally D now E SC,
Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Gonna miss you in D Mike, I enjoyed running with you. It does seem to be rough on you Colorado boys though! I spent several years in Denver, Evergreen, Arvada, Littleton, and Boulder back in the 80's so there is always a place for the western guys... Now back to our regular programming..
Old 06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
We are talking about it. I'd like to get 6-10 cars together so either one or both trailers can go. We'd love to race with you guys & some of the Cali contingent
Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all! Great feedback. I am getting really excited. As usual, the Rennlist community stepped up and answered my questions and then some. You guys rock.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Blake you should just go drive one of Kent's and you'll understand....
Thanks JR! I can't wait! Thusly threw me the keys to his last summer, but I refused to drive it. I told him and Kent that once I did, it would all be over. A year later, the disposable income is back so I can splurge. Looking forward to joining you guys!

-Blake
Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,652 Likes on 2,325 Posts

^ you have income that's disposable?
pls dispose of it to my car fund.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

So is Spec Boxster just a west coast thing? I haven't heard much about it in the midwest, but I'm really interested.

And do they race with other series, or rather conduct their own events?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Weston
Racer

As a 944-Spec racer who is quite happy racing in 944-Spec, I have to say that Spec Boxster has a lot of appeal. It would appear that much of the same formula that makes 944 spec racing so successful and popular exists in Spec Boxster as well... it's an affordable Porsche that was a big hit for it's time, it does quite well on the track, limiting the class to the base model keeps the playing field level and costs down, and it seems to be more of a tight-knit group of racers than the typical racing class.

The Boxsters do cost more money, but they're really coming down in price... You can even find them in street trim for under $10k now. I've recently been considering picking up a Boxster as a fun street car, but in the back of my mind, I've been thinking that maybe I really want to get a 2.5L model so that I can make it into a Spec Boxster in a few years. And once their resale value hits bottom, the success of the class is likely to grow even more... that really helps the 944 classes (it's pretty cheap to buy race car candidates and parts cars; blow an engine and it's potentially a $500 fix).
Old 06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
cost for rotors, too small for me to remember, 2-300 an axle or less. i only need two front sets for one season (i am at least 2x as bad in rotor wear than any one i know). pad. i used up 2 sets orange and 1 set of black, but they are 1/2 or less the price of GT3 pads.

tires, R888 is 2/3 the price of mpsc. most ppl can make front last 6-8 days. i destroy them in 3 days (it's me not the tires), rear tires last 25% longer than fronts.

engine sometimes blow up. but you can find one for 3-4000 in wreck yard.
my tranny had some issues. 1600 for used one..
For comparison 944 spec is even cheaper

My last set of front rotor = $65 for the set. Use maybe one set a year. I get 3+ years from rear rotors.

Tires. we run the same R888 as the boxster boys, but in smaller cheaper 225/50 R15 size.

Engines.. Junk yard motors run $1000 or less if there is car attached
Tranny.. Used trannys run $300-500 depending on which one you get.

Any we have 27 944 spec cars singed for the NASA National championships at Miller this september. This is infact MORE than the spec miata count as of now. We are shooting for 40-60 944 spec cars for national. If we get 30 starters Toyo is giving the class $11,000 in prize money. Not bad for a budget class.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by M758
Any we have 27 944 spec cars singed for the NASA National championships at Miller this september. This is infact MORE than the spec miata count as of now. We are shooting for 40-60 944 spec cars for national. If we get 30 starters Toyo is giving the class $11,000 in prize money. Not bad for a budget class.
Wow. That's enough money to buy TWO 944 spec race cars!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the Spec Box group are going to give NASA a shot the weekend after next at Buttonwillow. I'm taking my GT4S Box out there too....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 06-17-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I am really happy I jumped into SPBOX over a year ago. There aren't too many cars in Norcal but it's changing now. The cars are ~25-30k to build, or a bit more for built depending on who did it. They are amazing fun to drive and the idea of spec racing is alive in well. Close competition in equal cars. My car has been dead reliable (knock on wood). I believe these slow(er) cars really teach good driving. But they are not so slow it's boring. We run mid-pack with the SP911 class in our neck of the woods.

You can run SCCA as BSR and NASA and PCA as SPBOX. There is POC too if you are close to SoCal.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
......Thusly threw me the keys to his last summer, but I refused to drive it........

-Blake
The invitation is still open - come on down to LV/Spring Mountain and try it out!
Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,652 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
So is Spec Boxster just a west coast thing? I haven't heard much about it in the midwest, but I'm really interested.

And do they race with other series, or rather conduct their own events?
not west coast, just the smarter coast.
anyways, spec box is a recongnized class in PCA so you can race it there. i think it's more exciting than the stock classes or the H, G classes that box and cay are in. BSR have NO interior left, that lack of wt is what makes it fun. it's not that fast (coming from GT3's) but it's way more fun.

but most porsche racers are 911 guys so it will take some pushing to get BSR in your region if it's not there all ready. even nor cal is just slowing taking off.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spec Racing - What do you guys think?